NGD 2.0 : Vader 7 re-build (with back story)

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by CW7, May 23, 2015.

1. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

So I am going to take a moment and give a quick account of how this guitar came to be. I've played headless guitars (mainly Steinbergers found on the 'bay) for the last 15 years or so. When I got wind Kiesel was doing a 7 string headless, I could NOT get in line fast enough. (my first 7 string was a white UV7 I picked up in the late 90's. I played 7 string exclusively for some time, then went back to 6 when I landed my now full time gig in a cover/show band. The UV is also now pretty much a fretless from all the play time it saw over the years. :cool:).

After going over the options 1,000 times, I settled on a slight variation of the now famous blue 8 string from from one of the first NAMM videos, just going with a 7 instead of an 8, and doing maple instead of zebrawood. I triple checked all the options to verify that's what I wanted, and ordered first thing in the morning on February 2nd. (I had a show on the first, and didn't want to make a split decision trying to order on my phone on the road.)

So here's what I ordered...

Kiesel Vader 7

Deep Aqua Burst over flame

5pc Maple neck with Black Limba stripes

Flamed Maple Fingerboard

Clear Satin on back of neck

Abalone Diamond inlays

SS Jumbo Frets

Chambered

It arrived around April 2nd. (Just in time, as I was leaving the country for shows on the 4th-11th). And here she is...

[​IMG]

It is a gorgeous guitar, but I had a couple of issues with it. #1, I REALLY wanted the blue hue I saw in all the photos, and this one came in with a bit too much green for my liking. (I realize there is going to be some variation, but I didn't expect it to swing that much to the green side). #2, I was really hoping for a tighter flame, and this was a bit too "washed out".

Since I was leaving the country in a couple of days, my 10 day window was going to expire while I was gone, so I had to decide FAST if I was keeping it or not. I was really considering just keeping it and getting another one later, but I called and talked to Keith in the custom shop, and he was VERY cool and basically said, "if you aren't 100%, send it back!". That pretty much sealed the deal. Boxed her up, slapped on the label, and away she went back across the country.

So what did I re-build? Well, Keith and I talked at length before I left, and I ended going in a COMPLETELY different direction. (he really helped me with option choice and helped me figure out what I would be most happy with- I will NEVER order another Kiesel without calling first ; it made the process SO much easier.)

I'll just get straight to it and post the pics... :metal:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Options list :

V7 Extended Scale
    Swamp ash body
    Antique ash treatment
    Spalted maple top
    Clear satin matte
    Chambered
    5 piece maple neck w/limba stripes
    Ebony (light streaking) fingerboard
    SS Jumbo frets
    Kiesel Pickups

This is, of course, a pretty drastic departure from what I ordered the first time. And truth be told, I STILL want a blue one. But after talking with Keith - and explaining I ALMOST sprung for the spalted top on the first order to set it off, he recommended the satin with that combo would look killer, and I have to agree! I also went with the Antique Ash for the sides/back. I LOVE the AA, and will definitely be doing one sans top with that treatment down the road.

Out of the box, it played nicely, but needed minimal adjustment to get to my liking. (I have gravitated to a lighter touch over the years, so I dropped the action a notch and it's BUTTER now. No dead notes and super even across the entire register.) The satin matte feels incredible. Again, coming from the cold, sterile plastic feel of 80's era Steinbergers, this is a welcome change. The neck is a bit fatter than I am accustomed to, but nothing I didn't acclimate to quickly. (my other go to guitar on the road is an old MIJ PGM301. Anyone who has played one of those knows the neck is TINY.) And as far as weight goes, this weighs in right at about 6 lbs..

As far as tone, this thing sounds AWESOME. (but you probably knew that. ;) ). I can only describe it as "like my Steinbergers, but more organic". Having played the bergs for so many years, I got adjusted to a certain amount of "staleness". (graphite necks with EMGs will do that). But this thing is alive. Really the best of both worlds, if you ask me. I am just getting geared up to write for a new side project (one of the reasons I bought the guitar) and I'll get some sound clips up when I have something worth posting. For the inquisitive folks out there, my road rig is a H&K Tubemeister through a 1x12 Mesa open back, and a Soul Food for extra kick on some solos.

That last pic is just a quick phone shot I took of the VADER next to the Egan built Strandberg I picked up here a few months ago.

That's about it, I imagine. Now, with a RARE Saturday night off, I am away to play some guitar. Cheers. :pops:

Shawn, thesnowdog, ihunda and 25 others like this.
  2. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

I don't usually like spalted maple tops but yours looks amazing. HNGD :D

3. IChuckFinleyI

IChuckFinleyI Banned

Like all the Vaders on here, it's gorgeous! HNGD!

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Hot damn, that spalt looks amazing there.

I especially like how its concentrated toward the middle, and its more plain at the edges, works really well there.

5. Aaron316

Aaron316 SS.org Regular

CW7 that guitar looks wonderful! Hope I get a chance to try one out on the bayou!

6. asher

asher So Did We

That's one of the best spalted tops I've seen in a long, long time!

7. SeditiousDissent

SeditiousDissent i drove bus

That aquaburst looks remarkably close to a dragonburst. I think you made an excellent decision in doing the rebuild. The spalted top is way hot. Happy NGD!

8. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

HNGD! The blueburst looked solid, but that spalt is amazing.

9. TamanShud

TamanShud Finished

Spalt of the year award

10. morbidus

morbidus SS.org Regular

Antique ash treatment on the back is the only way to go. I think it looks great especially with the spalted top. I really liked the first one as well!

11. oremus91

oremus91 Melodeth-er

All I see for options is a flamed spalt (no regular), is that what you got?

12. JustinG60

JustinG60 SS.org Regular

Funny, I came damn close to sending my Carvin SCB7 back. nothing like opening your present on christmas (arrival day) and it not being what you expected :/

for me i was under the impression my swamp ash top would have the grain going long ways with the guitar not bookmatched from top to bottom

i'm sure you're glad you sent it back because the new one looks AMAZING! ...and i don't even like headless guitars

13. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

I ordered this one on the phone, but my receipt does indeed reflect the "flamed" price.

Maybe someone with more experience can help- it APPEARS to me spalt is spalt? Or is there actually a "flamed spalted maple" vs a "regular spalted"?

14. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

Dude yours looks super badass and unique, screw the blue one hahaha HNGD

15. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

so much class. I dig man. What's the weight?

16. androponic

androponic SS.org Regular

Very nice.. and great choices. HNNGD !!

17. lewstherin006

lewstherin006 SS.org Regular

Congrats bro she looks great!! Good to see another NOLA face on here!

18. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

Thanks! Falls in right under 6 lbs.. (quoted the wrong post for the above poster who questioned. Sorry about that. ;) )

19. poopyalligator

poopyalligator Dr.Poopyalligator

I think I am in the minority here, but I think that blue one was badass. I definitely would have kept that one, but that is just me I guess.

20. CW7

CW7 SS.org Regular

Had it been actually more blue (and the flame not as "meh") I would have almost definitely kept it. #1 was always going to be the blue one, followed by a natural one second. It just was too green for my liking, and coupled with the flame not being the best, I went with my gut and sent it back. There's another blue one in my future...I'll just be calling for this one to make sure I get EXACTLY what I want. :flame: