NGD: 1999 MIJ Ibanez RG7421

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by crg123, Nov 4, 2014.

1. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Hey everyone its that time again of the year again haha. I just made a trade to get my hands on a RG7421, one of the ones made with the 7621 necks. Traded with Bloodnail and it went flawlessly. He packed it to survive a warzone.

It's in pretty amazing condition considering its a 15 year old guitar, only a few nicks in it. One of the previous owners refinished in a almost K7 blade grey color. They also added a # 13 that I'm not crazy about (a bit nu-metal for my taste) but don't really mind it too much. The quality of the instrument more then makes up for it.

The neck on this plays like a dream, especially for the price range, and its great for fast riffing. Couldn't stop play 80's/early 90's death metal on it. I'm also impressed at the quality of the neck woods and the lack of fretwear. I'm guessing it was refretting sometime in the last few years because they look almost new.

The pickups are going to be replaced (hopefully) with a set of Painkillers and I'm getting new saddles and knobs (o-ring) from hipshot. Down the line I'm thinking about swapping the pots out for CTS and maybe even hipshot tuners if I think it's worth it (the stock gotohs seem fine)

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's some photos.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. crg123

Just double checking I'll have no problem putting BKPs in these routes right?

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

HNGD!

4. TauSigmaNova

TauSigmaNova Guitarist Wannabe.

HNGD! Dig the 13 on the body too. Enjoy \m/

5. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

It actually was never regretted the original owner bought it new and only played it for one song every gig his band played until about 2005 I think he said.then in the closet it went. Have fun with it man.

6. crg123

You can tell. It's like a time capsule. I love it

What do you mean by "never regretted" Edit: nevermind I think you meant refretted

7. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

Yea that's what I ment,I fat fingered it lol.

8. Rogerthat

Rogerthat Active Member

Thats awesome!

9. crg123

10. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I think that just means that you have to physically install the neck pickup opposite of the bridge pickup (e.g., slugs towards the bridge) for it to be hum cancelling in the split positions (2 and 4) of the switch. But that is kind of an odd way of phrasing it.

11. crg123

Everythings installed (Painkillers, hipshot saddles and knobs). It plays great but I'm having some noise issues with the Painkiller in the bridge position. Not sure whats causing it since everything should be properly grounded (tested with a multi-meter). I'll keep working on it to figure it out or else I guess I'll have to suck it up and go to a professional lol.

It's pretty funny to use patches on my Axe made for my alnico-warpigs. The Painkillers are the polar opposite in the way they're eq'd. It's going to take some getting use to.

12. crg123

Shitty soldering job confirmed! I took out the guts to take photos and when I put it back in theres no more noise or shrillness. Although now the middle position sounds weak, but w.e I never use it and can fix it easily down the line if I want to (probably just a weak solder joint)

The bridge sounds fantastic! So happy.

13. crg123

Hey does anyone know where I can get neck mounting screws and bushings for not outrageous prices for my RG. I tried ibanez rules and they quoted $4 per bushing and $10 for a set of screws ($26 total + shipping).

I want to make sure they fit (the existing ones are corroded to hell) but that seems like a lot for some simple hardware. I found this site but don't know much about it and I'm not sure which screws I should get: http://www.universaljems.com/cart/neckmount.htm also they require " All Orders require a Minimum of 2-4 weeks delivery!" which doesn't work to well for me haha.

Edit:

Actually would these work?

use 2/4 of these http://www.allparts.com/GS-3005-010-Chrome-Short-Neck-Plate-Screws_p_1812.html
    and 2/4 of these http://www.allparts.com/GS-3005-010-Chrome-Short-Neck-Plate-Screws_p_1812.html
    and buy these http://www.allparts.com/AP-5260-010-Chrome-Neck-Screw-Bushings_p_462.html

That only comes out to $11.80 which isn't bad

I'm also thinking about upgrading to CTS pots (does this really make a difference?) and swapping out the switch for this: http://www.allparts.com/EP-0078-000-4-Pole-5-Way-Super-Switch_p_1259.html so I can get more complex 5 way switching layouts.

Will this switch work in an ibanez for HH setup?

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

At first I thought the "13" was a scary face with funny eyebrows :lol:

15. crg123

!!!!! That's what my co-worker thought! Ya it's grown on me though, eventually I might do a refinish but it's go character and dare I say "mojo" haha. The painkillers, hipshot knobs and hipshot saddles made a world of a difference.

Hopefully once I get the 4-pole switching system in there I'll get more useful sounds. I don't really like the stock ibanez switching layout.

16. Wachu

Wachu SS.org Regular

I will buy that axe in Europe, please email me if someone is selling. cheers!

edgeofsanity@wp.pl

17. crg123

18. Wachu

Wachu SS.org Regular

cheers mate, but i'm for fixed bridge. Anyway, hit me if you will know something
    Regards