NGD! 1 of 2 this week - Gibson Explorer

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by TimSE, May 1, 2021.

1. TimSE

TimSE Tone Chasr Contributor

:cool: thanks bro! I'm loving it so far.

Good stuff. Ive really liked the burstbuckers in my LP but they are not my normal sound for sure. But I think because everything about an LP is not my usual thing, it kinda works. I've actually just traded my Gibson LP - got it 2 weeks ago :lol: - But have bought a Burny 1992 Black LP with the Japanese copies of the PAFs which are considered very good so very excited to get that one. Going to get myself an R9 sometime this year hopefully. Gotta do some saving first.

Edika likes this.
  2. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

Congrats on the new guitar!
    I've been looking at buying an explorer much like this. Not sure if you're aware or not, but your guitar is a replica of James Hetfield's "Rusty" Explorer. He used it in the early 2000's during the St Anger tour.

TimSE likes this.
  3. Poul Winther Knudsen

Poul Winther Knudsen SS.org Regular

60s for low B??? I use 72s for B on a 25" scale and even the harder NYXL steel.

TimSE likes this.
  4. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Super awesome find. The EMGs are sweet but the 500T is a monster for sure. i had natural explorer from 2007 it was a beauty the only gear I regret I had to sell.

TimSE likes this.
  5. TimSE

I didn't at first and just thought it was a sick idea and super cool guitar anyway, but being a massive 'tallica fan, im all for a Hetfield influenced one. Plus, the only changes made are all easily reversible if I wanted it back, not that I will. Its awesome like this.

Yeah, I normally go way thicker and used to run .74s for Drop A on a 25.5", but been having some super shitty wrist pain this year which is why im on the 6 string train atm - 7 necks are bit too big for me and I cant play them right now with being in pain for days after. Its super shitty, but I can handle 6s enough where it doesnt hurt to just riff around.

I feel I would regret this if I ever do sell it. On a real "vintage" binge at the mo and knowing you'll never get one that FEELS that way again. I have a 1992 Japanese Les Paul Custom on it's way to me and that thing is the same.

6. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land

It might be Hetfield's influence (not even really that big of a Metallica fan) but there's something awesome about an all black Explorer with EMG's. That pick guard needs to be burned and forgotten - what even is that?

TimSE likes this.
  7. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land

Yeah dude I seem to remember the dudes in Hypocrisy using shorter scale guitars in the Eraser vid. LP (or Eclipse?) and (definitely) an MX (Explorer shape) ESP. And they're tuned to B standard. No excuse, Tim!

TimSE likes this.
  8. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

TimSE likes this.
  9. TimSE

I actually agree. Always thought EMGs do look sick and have a set of 707-TWs in one of my 7s. Love its thiccness!

And my pickguard is awesome! YOU suck :lol:
    It's hand cut mild steel, left to rust and lacquered over. I LOVE it!

I got my 7's for that tuning, but I have a Les Paul in it's way to me for some Drop C and B so I'll find a good string set that feel right for me and give it another shot :yesway:

Yea I love seeing that too. Same with selling guitars on here to other members. It's the best type of sale when its going to a good home. Dump some pics in here man, its not a hijack at this point :lol:

10. Dooky

Dooky SS.org Regular

Yeah, I've been looking for a black Explorer to turn into a Rusty guitar. I really like the look of them. I'd keep it exactly as is if I were you :)

TimSE likes this.