Nexus new song, new mix, impulses, dual vocals, synths, groove!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Deckard, May 19, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard SS.org Regular

Hi guys

I've finished a new song for my band, Nexus and I thought I'll share it here today! Finally, after some songs and a lot of tests I've managed to get a mix that I'm starting to be happy with, powerful but clear enough to hear all the layers through the mix. Used red wirez impulses, superior drummer 2.0 (avatar), some synths and the ampeg svx bass plugin on this one.

As for the song, it's the first one featuring our guitarist Pablo doing main vocals along our current singer (Antonio Luis) and we are really happy with the result. Lot's of layering!

Let me know what you think

:)

Vanishing Points by Nexus07music on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

2. zxdbxz

zxdbxz Active Member

Wow, this is REALLY good :) I'm not huge on the vocals, the cleans are good, but I don't really like the screams. That's just my personal opinion lol :) Oh and congrats on Euroblast :D

3. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

the vocals seem thin. any way to beef them up a bit? volume wise its good but something seems to suck the energy out. otherwise sounds great!!

4. Deckard

Deckard SS.org Regular

Hey zxdbxz! glad you like it man, I guess the screams are not for everyone but cool that you dig the cleans. And thank you, we are beyond excited for the Euroblast!!! :D

Purelojik, I guess you are talking about the cleans vocals right? now that some weeks have passed since I finished the song I'm starting to notice that too. Maybe it's just an eq thing but I'm not quite sure, maybe I should try another perspective for the vocals on the next song.

I would be very grateful if someone could recommend any tips for producing vocals appart from the common "just add reverb+delay" that were not used on this song on purpose to see how can we approach the vocals without relaying on them (although I think I'll use them again on the next one)

Thanks for listening guys, much appreciated

5. rock90

rock90 SS.org Regular

Diging it a lot! :) Vocals seemed thin to me at first too but after a while i think they fit in the mix pretty nicely. Don't have any tips for u, since i never recorded/mixed vocals before. :S

6. 92guitarguy

92guitarguy SS.org Regular

Sounds cool! To me it sounds like a mixture out of In Flames and The Devil Wears Prada haha
    The mix is pretty good too...I like to add a multiband compressor to the vocals. So you have a nice control of the frequencies. In your case I would boost the lower ones a bit and reducing the highs ;)

I hope that helps. However I'm not that experienced with mixing vocals as well...

7. Deckard

Deckard SS.org Regular

Cool!! :D I haven't tried the multiband compresor on vocals but it doesn't seem a bad idea, will try it in the next one. Don't worry if you don't have any tips for vocals rock90, maybe I'm just too obsessed with trying to make the vocals the best I can, it's always the most difficult thing!! I've been listening to our old songs and I think we are progressing slowly but we are "getting there"

In Flames has been definitely an influence for us 92guitarguy although I've never listened The Devil Wear Prada, which is kind of fun!

Again, thanks for stopping by and commenting

:)

8. Deckard

Deckard SS.org Regular

Hi there!

I've done a playthrough of the song just in case you are interested, the guitar was the same one I used to record it. Check it out!

9. Jari6666

Jari6666 SS.org Regular

pretty badass reminds me of sybreed a bit

10. Deckard

Deckard SS.org Regular

Thanks Jari, Sybreed is definitely an influence. They are a great band.

11. Deckard

Deckard SS.org Regular

We've done a drum playthrough also!

12. Speculum Speculorum

Speculum Speculorum SS.org Regular

The vocals... they're almost there, but they sit a little on top of the mix instead of being carved in - there is a really flat character about them. They could use some delays, perhaps a touch of verb. Something to help them sit better is all. Anyway, that's merely one man's opinion. Otherwise it's pretty solid.