Newer vs. older Carvins

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by 0 Xero 0, Sep 21, 2015.

1. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

Hey, everyone, I've been contemplating this for a while and haven't seen it discussed anywhere on the interwebs--since Jeff has more or less taken charge of luthiery at Carvin, has the construction, fit and finish, or anything else noticeable changed with the guitars? I don't expect there to be many differences excepting the Kiesel editions of course. I'm contemplating buying a 7 again and was wondering if I try and find a used bargain or spring for a new one. Thanks!

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Nothing has changed in regards to quality of build or materials.

I've owned numerous Carvins and worked on even more and can say that with certainty.

That's not a slight though, as the quality has always been very, very solid.

For the price, you're really not going to find better, as far as American made guitars go.

The only thing that has increased since Jeff took over is the available options, marketing, and in some cases pricing. He's doing a great job.

3. insaneshawnlane

insaneshawnlane SS.org Regular

^ couldn't have said it better

4. 0 Xero 0

0 Xero 0 SS.org Regular

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks! I wasn't trying to insinuate anything about the company either, I love how forward-thinking they are and how much they care about their customers. I've been wanting a 7 and a Carvin for a while. I had a 7621 and it played well but I didn't like the shape of the neck and how thin it was. From what I've seen and heard Carvins tend to have slightly thicker necks and are more of a C-shape. I just have to decide which one I want now...

5. MaxOfMetal

Honestly, I'd just grab a new one. Since they've been marketing harder the prices on used ones has gone up to the point where it's better to just get a new build started and spec it to your liking.

I miss the old days of grabbing DC7x7s for $500 to $600 all day, but that's just not a thing anymore, unless you find a great deal.

6. DoomJazz

DoomJazz Classic Lojack

Jumping in here, I've heard that Carvin's have neck warping issues? Mine didn't, but a friend of mine says that a bunch of his friends (the friend is an artist, his friends are artists, sorry for the he said she said bull....) that a bunch of their Carvin builds end up warping.

Thoughts?

7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

I have an older 90s dc127 that's been around and I have zero issues with the neck. In fact it's my main guitar because the tone is out of this world and plays like butter.

8. MaxOfMetal

I've never heard of that being a specific Carvin issue.

That said, if someone orders a one piece, flamed maple neck with an oil finish and an ebony fretboard, they're asking for problems, especially if they're in a touring act. That's the thing, just because it's an option in Carvin's builder doesn't mean you can sit back and not think of the consequences of those choices. Some woods and finishes aren't as climate resilient as others.

9. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

As a customer, can confirm. Great quality both before and after Jeff's "takeover."

10. ovlott

ovlott SS.org Regular

New or used, you cant go wrong, but the odds of finding exactly what you want used are pretty slim, but if you're looking for a deal you can get pretty well spec'd DC7x7's for about a grand give or take, which will save you some coin in the end.

11. olejason

olejason SS.org Regular

Neck wood choice is definitely important if you live in area with fluctuating temp/humidity. I have a 6 string Carvin bass from the late 90's with a single piece neck that has had a lot of issues over the years. Really doesn't have anything to do with Carvin, just something you need to keep in mind.

12. Brandonparty

Brandonparty SS.org Regular

There are some sweet used deals out there - but depending on the spec you are looking for, I would give Chris (@ Carvin) a call and talk to him about a new build. I have played older Carvins and though the quality is top notch, the newer model and options are what really speak to me - I have owned 7 so far (ordered 4/purchased 3 used) and I have another in mind. The difference is really what you want and how crazy you want to get! Regardless, you are going to be mighty please with the guitar!