Newbie Drum Software question

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Miek, May 18, 2019.

1. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

I literally can't figure out how to open GGD in Reaper. I admit I may have had a few beers but I'm definitely not beyond logic. I can't figure it out and I'd really appreciate if someone could make it clear to me in a way that google just doesn't seem to.

2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Isn’t GGD a Kontakt instrument?

3. shnizzle

shnizzle johnny

yeah, you need Kontakt from Native Instruments and load GGD in there.

4. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

I think u can use the free version of Kontakt. Im looking to get GGD Invasion soon!

5. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

So I've got ggd loading and functioning no problem but they are clipping their inputs by default right now so I guess that's my next step to figure out.

6. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

Ok so a week later and coming back not drunk I've figured out all of my routing woes, it was both more complex and more simple than I thought.

However, I am still running into the clipping issue with the drums and I can't figure out why. I drop the dB in Kontakt and it clips but more quietly. Same when I do it from reaper. Any ideas what I'm missing?

7. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

The clipping only seems to happen when I listen through my interface, and doesn't happen when i listen through my headphones direct into my pc. Any insight on how I can fix that straight out of the gate or is a google deep dive my best option?

I'm not even sure how to phrase the issue to reach for it so if you at least have an idea for that I'm open to suggestion.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  8. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I don't know Reaper, but I do use Kontact with GGD. Which inputs are clipping?

So you load up a MIDI drum track, add Kontact as a stereo plugin (I don't use the 16 out) and open the GGD instrument. In Kontact I set output to "st. 1" and MIDI Ch to "omni"

9. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

all of that is working fine, I think the clipping is somewhere in the interaction between reaper and my interface. possibly a driver issue?

10. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

What interface do you use?

11. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

I still don't understand what is clipping.

On what monitor are you seeing level clipping happening?

If it was a driver issue, then ALL audio from your interface would sound bad. It wouldn't be selective to one plugin.

12. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

the clipping doesn't even occur in reaper, whis making me think it's a hardware issue with my Mackie onyx

13. Miek

Miek POSTING ON INTERNET

and now the clipping is gone apparently, but now ggd doesn't react when I click on a drum or try to play beats. I haven't changed anything since last time it worked so I am very confused now lol

Edit: okay it seems I had changed my audio device away from ASIO which was causing that issue, now I need to figure out what's up with the clipping. It's ONLY in my headphones when I listen to playback through my Onyx's monitor jack. So it's most likely the interface. In conclusion I"m probably just a huge dumbass that's bad at problem solving.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  14. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Does your interface come with a dedicated software? I know that for example Focusrite Claretts come with a virtual mixer, which the Scarletts don't utilize. It sounds like your headphone out is either too loud or has a +X dB button engaged somewhere. Maybe it's an actual hardware button, have you checked that?

15. Ed Fry

Ed Fry Member

Just to confirm this does not sound like a 'clipping' issue. This sounds more like a glitching audio issue.

This can occur on all interfaces when the computer is not optimised for audio production, I'd advise speaking to Mackie regarding this. I very much doubt this is a hardware issue with your interface.

Just to point out on the Focusrite software, all Claretts use Focusrite Control, the Scarletts do use this, but only the 2nd Gen 6i6 and above.

Thanks,

Ed F // Focusrite Technical Support

Miek likes this.
  16. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for clarification.