New work in progress clip. Minor thirds tuning.

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by nightflameauto, Apr 4, 2012.

1. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

A little ditty I'm working on called "Beastly."

It's a suite of six songs tied together by a loose theme. This is just a rough rhythm demo. Some of the guitar and bass bits are a little sloppy causing the occasional mud here or there. And the cleans have some weird clipping thing going on in the early bit I still need to sort out. But it's at a point where I wanted to share the progress.

You can definitely hear some of those weird chords I was craving when I first tried this minor thirds tuning thing popping out here or there. Check it out.

GiantBaba, elq and ixlramp like this.
  2. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Whoa this is good ... those close-voiced chords have a profound sound to them ...

3. nightflameauto

Thanks. It pretty much achieved exactly what I was looking for chord wise. I feel like I'm falling in love with the guitar all over again.

4. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

It's hard to describe the effect of close voiced chords ... it's sort of dark, exotic, atmospheric and emotionally charged ... can't find the right words. I'm certainly fatigued by a lifetime of hearing fourths based chords.
    Apparently the traditional Russian guitar has 7 strings tuned in M3rds ...

5. nightflameauto

Yeah, I've been burned out on the traditional power chord/bared fourths or fifths chord structure thing in my own playing for a long time. It's a lot of fun to be able to grab a chord quickly that has a different feel to it than just a reinforcement of the root note.

Interesting. I'd not heard that before. I should look into that and see if there's any songs out there that could be ransacked for ideas. :evil:

6. DropSplash

DropSplash That's pretty wet

What do you mean by close-voiced chords?

7. elq

elq (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

A closed voiced chord is a chord played with all its tones as close together as they can be.

Think of a 7th chord played in one octave, or a traid vs a cowboy chord.

8. NixerX

NixerX Chuggin and Chuffin

Im pretty sure its closed voice..meaning no open strings. :shred:

OP...love the track.very aggro!:metal: makes me want to start my solo project.

9. nightflameauto

Thanks, man. I think with the new tuning and preamps (AMT) I've finally gotten my solo project back on track. It's been sitting idle for years because I was too frustrated with my recorded tone and bored with my playing. I've done more writing in the past couple months music wise than I have in years.

10. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Ah ... what i mean is chords with smaller intervals between the notes, i don't mean the specific term 'closed voice chords' :)

Just checked on 'russian guitar', it's actually typically tuned to open G major: low to high DGBDGBD, a mixture of thirds and fourths but still on average 3 per octave.

11. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

How are the Circle K guitar strings? We are curious since they are apparently identical to the CK bass strings ...

12. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The best sound I've ever heard come out of Sioux Falls. I spent the first thirteen years of my live in Vermillion, and still consider it to be my hometown. Anyway, I love what I'm hearing, I'd like to hear the more polished shit.

13. charlieshreds

charlieshreds SS.org Regular

I LOVE this!:wub:

14. nightflameauto

Thanks everybody.

They're nice and bright. I run CK strings on my basses too and I can't honestly say aside from the natural differences the size of the string makes that there's a whole lot of difference. One of the nice things with CK bass strings is they tend to go brighter than typical bass strings so really low tunings don't mush out. I'd say the same thing is happening with the guitar strings. Smaller gauges, smaller ball ends, nice and big sounding, as you can hear in the clip.

Non-processed though? They're a touch brighter than the d'Addario nickles I was using.

I'm still working on this and a couple other full songs at the moment. Hoping to finally come up with enough material to justify an EP type thing by the end of the year based around this tuning.