[NEW VIDEO] Ho High Can you tune up with some 8s?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by soundbase, Oct 19, 2020.

1. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

So I thought I'd try something new in my videos. Instead of seeing how low could tune, I tried to see how HIGH I could tune up! I got a set of Ernie Ball 8s and put them on my Tele and then tuned it up to Drop F2. Then I played over this with my Stagemaster 7 Baritone in Drop F1, and then programmed in a EuroBass line in F0. So the guitars are covering 3 octave ranges. Thought it was pretty fun to mess around with. Sounds sort of like a Harmonizer pedal on the guitar, but there some slight differences in the playing. So sounds slightly different. Let me know what you think. Those 8s felt really good and slinky. But I think now Im gonna shove some thicker gauges on and go lower again on the guitar :)

2. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

How high you can tune is actually not a function of string gauge. If you think about how strong a material is, it's based on it's thickness, so, the thicker the string is, the more force required to tune it up, but also, the more force it can withstand. So, maximum tuning frequency is a function of scale length, the type of string material, and that's it. You can tune just as high with .009's as with .008's. But, if you try annealed string or strings made of high tensile steel, you can tune higher, regardless of gauge.

3. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Ho did what, now?

4. soundbase

soundbase SS.org Regular

Haha, I made a typo, and could go back and correct. Was meant to be How.