New Veil of Maya - Member's Only!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MSUspartans777, Sep 13, 2019.

1. secretpizza

secretpizza SS.org Regular

I don't really get this. I like the vibe they're going for with the synths, and personally I'm a fan of the vocals, but the guitar and bass are seriously buried in the mix. I think this song would be great live, I'd just like to hear it remixed with the guitar tracks more prominent; I'm confused on the choices they made to mix it this way.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

If you told me that was Spencer Sotelo I wouldn't even bat an eye. Sad to see where this band's sound has gone. By the way, that's not a jab at Spencer or Periphery at all. It just sounds like he's actually trying to sound like Spencer.

Wildebeest likes this.
  3. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Thought I accidentally clicked the Periphery thread.

4. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

This is exactly what I was thinking. I actually like the vocals on Matriarch and False Idol but this just sounds like a carbon copy of Spencer's style which I can't stand. What a shame.

aesthyrian likes this.
  5. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

I mean, it's not a "bad song" by any means. But damn, I gave it only one listen and I feel like I've heard it 100+ times already from this band...and from Periphery.

To all the guys making comments about Lukas Magyar trying to sound like Spencer Sotelo from Periphery: you're absolutely dead-on-the-money correct.

After giving this new single only one listen, I actually had to cleanse my palette by going back and binge-listening to a ton of old Veil of Maya, including the [id] album and the Eclipse album in their entirety (despite other albums being far better and far more well-received like The Common Man's Collapse).

aesthyrian likes this.
  6. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

[id] is by far their best release imo, TCMC is an absolute classic though. There is nothing I like about Eclipse.

7. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

I really liked False Idols;it was kind of hard to get into the older stuff because I felt like Marc's guitar tone sounded too neutered.However,I don't think I could even finish listening to this single.

8. ECGuitars

ECGuitars SS.org Regular

Good Lord that was a dumpster fire of a track, lol

9. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

Yeah, no thanks. False Idol was a swing and a miss for me, this kinda is too.

Going to stan [Id] 'til I die tho. Say what you will about Michael Keene, his production + the live in the room approach I remember hearing about for that album lends it a certain ferocity.

10. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Going from [id] to Eclipse was really somethin. The riffs were bad and the mix was terrible. They went from being the only deathcore band I liked to totally djeneric. A bunch of Periphery b-sides to the point they used a video about Periphery in one of the tunes.. yikes

I actually liked Matriarch quite a bit but I don't think I even bothered listening to False Idol. A couple spins of the singles was more than enough.

11. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I couldn't make it the whole way through.

What happened to this band? They used to be awesome...this song doesn't even flow...

12. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Do you mean they recorded live together as a band? If so, that's awesome and how come I am just finding this out!

13. AdenM

AdenM Illuminaughty

I wanna say I read exactly that on Guitar Messenger many years ago, but I may be misremembering.

aesthyrian likes this.
  14. Paul McAleer

Paul McAleer newborn baby

This makes appreciate id much more

15. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

bump it up for the new one.

imo it's fucking awesome. Members Only wasn't great but Outsider is the best tune they've done since [id] in my opinion.

16. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I'm in the minority who likes the new incarnation of this band far better than the old. The old vocalist always left me wanting more. CMC was a good disc, but could have been better with a different vocalist.

While Members Only didn't do much for me, Outsider is a great track. Looking forward to hearing more.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  17. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

So Sumariancore hasn't changed by the looks of it.

18. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

I find it funny how everyone says everyone is copying every one else. Back when P2 came out Spencer was copying Rody Walker and now apparently Lukas is copying Spencer. Now I'm just waiting for Rody to be accused of copying Lukas some how so we can get this circle complete

19. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

the only problem with this is... why would anybody accuse anybody of copying a singer as bad as Spencer? It's like accusing a 1990s thrash metal vocalist of trying to sound like Dave Mustaine. Nobody was ever trying to be Mustaine, they all wanted to be Hetfield or Araya.

Lukas only sounded like Spencer when he was produced BY Spencer

20. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

We’re usually on similar wavelengths but I don’t think spencer is horrible (anymore) but then again I don’t listen to a ton of perry ferry