New Universe reissue (and jems) in 2015

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by LordHar, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Skullet

Skullet SS.org Regular

Yep, imma need that white UV !

2. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

My sentiment's exactly. Specs wise, the Gravity Storms and a maple board are really speaking to me.

Hell, I'd get one so I can make the attempt to replace the EZ with a Gotoh. :lol:

3. ZeroS1gnol

ZeroS1gnol SS.org Regular

Many have said it...that trem, what in the hell are they even thinking? I love Ibanez, but man, every year it's like they're on crack with bullshit like this. Why even bring back the greatest trem ever made and not put it on each and every trem guitar they put out? Just baffling. This is not a reissue, it's a poor ripoff. :noplease:

4. IbbyAddict

IbbyAddict SS.org Regular

that Universe with the disappearing pyramids :scream::scream::scream::scream:
    i would do bad things for that guitar

5. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Only premium Ibby I have is a bass, but it's stellar. Tempted to buy a Jem Jr for modding and the PWH is, well, dunno, but I do like white guitars. (which, obviously, is why I don't have any)

6. Shredmon

Shredmon SS.org Regular

Im seriously gassing for the white Universe :0

7. Alice AKW

Alice AKW Wolf Ninja

If they were to ever release a premium version with the same aesthetics as a JEM7V with the gold HW and whatnot. I'd be toast.

8. DIM3S0UL

DIM3S0UL Dean Guitars

Wow, all-white UV's that's amazing. For me the white colour and the silver hardware are "snowblind" guitars. And i like that A LOT.

9. Decipher

Decipher Ibanez Enthusiast

:wallbash: Damnit..... The PWH reissue I've been expecting is coming and here I thought the DCM100 I got fulfilled my GAS..... Would love to get my hands on one of these.

10. Apollo240

Apollo240 SS.org Regular

dont see the issue with the ez2. Can someone explain?

11. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

JEM 77 PBFP?! :yum:

[​IMG]

WANT! Now if only they came with the old JEM77 neck carves. :(

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Steve Vai is known to use the original and lo pro Edge units and without the ZPS systems. Granted these models don't have the ZPS anyway so that's moot.

But in terms of personal preference, those said trems are better quality over the newer Edge Zero units. For instance, I'm not too fond of the EZ's fine tuners, and I find the older trems more durable from substantial abuse over the EZ.

For Jem, Universe and Vai enthusiasts, having the classic Edges are part of the appeal of owning a Jem. Plus the fact that these are marketed as "reissues" but without a crucial component from the originals really don't make these true reissues and to many players will see these new instruments as shadows of their former counterparts.

Anyway, the fact that they chose the blue floral Jem to be the first Vai sig to have Gravity Storms stock is pretty neat. Yes I love these pickups and am really glad to see them on a production Jem.

13. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Some is hate for the ZPS, which these guitars don't have, so isn't a problem.

The rest of the issues are cost cutting. The fine tuners don't feel smooth and can strip. Also, the bolts that lock the saddles in position for intonation simply screw into the zinc base plate. On the Edge/Lo Pro/Edge Pro, there's a steel plate underneath for the bolt to thread into. Without that steel plate, that bolt can strip out the zinc base plate. In theory, you're not changing the intonation all the time, but it's a bit of a time bomb.

The bridge just doesn't scream quality. I really wonder how much Ibanez saves by using that bridge over the units that people actually like.

Having the new post spacing was a real kick in the nuts, too. It'd be one thing if you could swap them for the older Edge trems or an OFR, but to have made the post spacing so much wider just really sinks it.

14. ToS

ToS 7-string abuser

On top of what was said above: the spring cavity (<= I hope that´s the right term...) is significantly shorter than with the older trems. This means there´s less "room" for alternate tunings or even a change in string gauge, which would usually just require adjusting the spring claw. I really like my 70p (many aspects are on par with my early 90s UVs) but this aspect I hate. I tune down one step to A standard and getting this done with the ez2 was definately no fun.

15. Sparkplug

Sparkplug Limp Bizkit Lover

as a huge Korn fan I would like to create some kind replica of Heads white Universe with the red letters, but they problably will end up around 1200-1500$ :squint:

Maybe we'll get a new premium universe every 1-2 years. I'm waiting for a multicolour or uv777gr reissue :yum:

16. ToS

ToS 7-string abuser

You mean like this:
    [​IMG]

;)

17. Sparkplug

Sparkplug Limp Bizkit Lover

YES! Thanks, could not find a proper picture

Edit: Did anyone already opened the compulsory Ibanez Namm thread?

18. ToS

ToS 7-string abuser

Actually that´s a beat up UV777.... but I guess the new 71PWH will do as well!

19. Apollo240

Apollo240 SS.org Regular

Well, having just sent back my UV70P and getting a UV7 I truly feel the dislike for the 70P hardware isnt fair. I also have a K7, which I compared to the 70P.

The fine tuners...the ones on the ez2 worked fine. They felt fine, not too loose, not too tight. Maybe not as much travel as the lo pro but going that far I would move the tuners on the headstock anyway. I tune down to A and didnt have any issue. No more than I had tuning my UV7 down to A. I will note that the fine tuners on my UV7 are nowhere near as tight as they are on my K7. Obviously from use, but still. Now will the EZ2 be in as nice shape in 22 years like the lo pro? Not sure, but I dont see why not. The lo pro has wear, many have pitting. The finish is coming off.

The intonation screws. This one Im am clueless over. I am known for stripping bolts, screws, etc. Didnt have any issues with the 70P. In fact I really like that the screws were off center from the strings.

As far as being a reissue, and wanting the original hardware. Yeah I can understand that. However, the EZ2 works and works great. The biggest challenge with the UV70P is getting one in fine working condition. However as said, if bought from a certain couple dealers, thats not an issue.

Overall, I think they are great guitars as long as you get a well built one. Are they the original, not exactly, but what in life ever is?

20. Apollo240

Apollo240 SS.org Regular

This is one killer between the "reissue" and original. However, had I never bought my UV7, I may have never noticed. Well atleast until I took it to my friend who owns atleast 1 of every UV built.
    [​IMG]