New tune. Lepou leGion mixtest. Opinions, o ye great folk?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by anthonyferguson, Feb 26, 2012.

1. anthonyferguson

anthonyferguson SS.org Regular

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/32053051/Boshty Song.mp3

A re-hash of an old song I wrote like 2 years ago. I haven't put vocals on it yet but I have some written. Ive got a complete arse of a cold at the moment and I can't sing for shit above middle C so I'm gunna wait for a bit. In the mean time, what d'you reckon to this? I'd like to hear some feedback from some of the experienced chaps of SSO!

2. Bigsby

Bigsby Nerd Contributor

the song is awesome but i think the guitars can come up a little bit as well as the kick

3. iRaiseTheDead

iRaiseTheDead Ashes Of Rebirth

Great mix :) I do think the guitar lacked some "balls" though. but other than that, awesome :)

4. anthonyferguson

Thanks guys! I'll try that, and put some vox on it at the next opportunity and see what you think again!

5. jCo76

jCo76 SS.org Regular

Like the others have said, bring those guitars up (and dial in some cuts in the lower mid-region), so that the cymbals sound more balanced in the mix as they're pretty loud compared to everything else. Some of those clean progressions sound pretty cool too.

6. Pooluke41

Pooluke41 H. Maddas

The Ending bit sounds fucking awesome.

But the Guitars aren't bright enough methinks.

7. kenken27

kenken27 Well-Known Member

This is sounding pretty good dude! Cymbals need to come down for sure, maybe even bring the snare down just a bit. Kick could come up a little too. I would even set the snare off a bit. Like pan it 5 left or right to make sure it doesn't get caught up in kick, vocals, and eventually the bass track. Compress the shit out of the kit. At least the kick and snare I'm not sure how that works with the overheads, or in this case just the cymbal samples. My knowledge of drum recording and mixing is pretty limited so I'm going to get off of this one.

As for the guitars I've been trying to get the best possible sound out of Lepou's stuff for awhile. The leGion is nice, but have you tried his le456? It's an ENGL Powerball sim and it fucking murders. First thing I can say about Lepou's amp sims are that if you want them to sound any good you have to get the best cabinet impulses you can find. I recommend RedWirez, especially their Orange cab with vintage 30's. You'll have to "buy" these. Definitely worth it. Find a cabinet, microphone, mic position, that has more presence than what you're using now. The guitars sound a little washed out. If you have a PC look up the TSE 808 VST (not positive it's TSE but you'll find it). Throw that in the mix if you want. Did you master this at all? Mastering is key. You can do a quick "master" in like 3 minutes. Multi-band compressor, EQ and cut below 30Hz, limiter, and some stereo expansion on the higher frequencies.

I'm writing a fucking book here, haha. The important thing is that the song is good. It doesn't matter how great your tone is if the song sucks. You've got the hard part down already, keep up the good work.

8. anthonyferguson

Awesome man. Thanks for the really helpful post. I'll try and get some of this stuff done and I'll ask for your opinion when it is!!

Thanks again dude, really appreciate it.

9. Phalanx

Phalanx SS.org Regular

The riff from 1:23 to ~2:40 is one of the coolest thing I've ever heard

10. anthonyferguson

Thanks man! What a compliment!