New TMM song done! 2nd track finally finished... after 2 months...

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
20110426 - Oni 8 - PODxt-Pro by TheMammonMachine on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Finally finished the drum composition for this track (or, at least it's down to just fine-tweaking). Drum samples / mix are still far from final, but I don't plan on spending much time on that until the sequencing for the whole album is done (min of 7 more songs). Might try out the Steven Slate samples at some point, people seem to like those.

So, what do you think? (constructive) criticizm welcomed. Just think, at this rate (1 song every ~2 months) I'll be finished by sometime next year :noway: Still aiming to finish in 2011, somehow.

Annoying when I get the POD to sound as good (or better) than my Rackto in a mix... but I guess I'm familiar enough with the POD that I know how to get it to sound the way I want more easily.

Thanks for listening! On to the next track.

Customisbetter

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
Contributor
Reaction score
thedrums sound good and the guitars sounds a tad digital for my taste.

The mix as a whole sounds distant. are you doing anything to your master bus or is this just a clean mixdown?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
... the guitars sounds a tad digital for my taste.

:lol: well, it is a POD. I kind of like it's harshness sometimes, though. I might try out Revalver, too, if I need a break from sequencing.

The mix as a whole sounds distant. are you doing anything to your master bus or is this just a clean mixdown?

This is just a clean mixdown, nothing done to the final product. Again, not something I plan on spending too long on until the sequencing is done.

wade_mcbeath

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Great song Tom, If anything the only real criticizm I can give at this stage is the drums are a tad loud, but then again I'm only listening through shitty laptop speakers. By the way what drum program are you using? DFH?

TMM

UUDDLRLRBAStart
Reaction score
Great song Tom, If anything the only real criticizm I can give at this stage is the drums are a tad loud, but then again I'm only listening through shitty laptop speakers. By the way what drum program are you using? DFH?

Thanks! Yeah, I agree, they are a bit loud. I think it's partly because PODs have a way of sitting very comfortably in the mix, to a degree where they don't always come off as present in the mix as they ought to be.

The drums are just the (somewhat heavily tweaked) stock Reason drum samples (still using Reason 2.5). I think they sound pretty decent (though poorly mixed), but I'd prefer something a little more 'raw' sounding for the drum samples. These samples are a little too perfect to my ears, to the point of coming off a little lifeless.

On that subject - does anyone know of a drum sequencing program where you can actually add in rolls, flams, etc?

Wookieslayer

OOOAAARWWWRR
Reaction score
Sounds brutal dude. Drums are tad loud and maybe the guitars need to go up a bit. Revalver is bad ass, def give that a try; so many tweaking options! The built in IR loader is nice too

danieluber1337

☻☺☻☼☺☻☺
Reaction score
Look at Toontrack's products (EZDrummer and Superior Drummer) for your more advanced drum programming.

Also, I hadn't heard from this company in a while, but Analogue Drums just released two new drum kits. I don't know all of the articulations that they have with them, but they might be worth trying out... they also don't have much in the way of cymbals. And they require Kontakt; I think.

Analogue Drums: Drum samples from tape. Free 135MB Ludwig kit. Kontakt, Battery, EXS24 compatability.
Analogue Drums: Drum samples from tape. Free 135MB Ludwig kit. Kontakt, Battery, EXS24 compatability.