New Speaker Recomendation for Marshall Valvestate 8080

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Aug 26, 2016.

1. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

New speaker recommendation for Marshall Valvestate 8080

Hi all,

I have a Marshall 8080 combo, basically the 80-watt open-back combo version of the popular Marshall 8100/8200 heads from the 90's.

Its been at my parents house for a while, but I just brought it back to my house, and am rediscovering what a fun amp it is to play. Recently I put a panel over the back to make it a closed back combo, and wow, what a difference it has made. More bottom end, tighter bass, more resonance and less fizzy high end.

With all that being said, its still a very bright amp, lots of treble on tap with not a ton of low end. Currently it still has the stock Eminence speaker in it, model EM12-1008PE (the early ones appear to have Eminence stock speakers, must have been after the first run they switched to the Celestion/Marshall speakers). I've tried to find info on the speaker but there isn't much info out there.

I have a Celestion Vintage 30 (English-made one out of a mesa cab) in a different cab, so I put that in to compare, and I do prefer the voicing of the V30 a lot more (not surprising as I'm a big v30 fan), but regarding the EQ, its still very bright, with not as much low end resonance as I would like. Though the tone in general is more pleasant, and the contour knob is much more functional with the V30, whereas it just makes everything sound flat with the stock Eminence speaker.

I've been spending a lot of time looking up speakers, and I've narrowed it down to two:

• Celestion G12K-100 (or G12K-85)
    • Eminence Swamp Thang

I would think the G12K100 would be a safer bet, as I appear to like Celestion voicing in my speakers, and from what I've read, its smoother and more bottom-heavy than a Vintage 30. But the Eminence Swamp Thang looks very interesting to me. Apparently its a very dark speaker, bottom-heavy, and best suited to bright amps (which the Valvestate 8080 is). Though I don't know for sure if I would like its 'voicing' as I've never used Eminence speakers before, except for the stock speaker in this combo, which I find kind of meh.

Has anyone used both and can compare? Any V30 fans like Eminence speakers? Am I just overthinking this?

TL;DR - Marshall Valvestate 8080 (now closed-back) combo sounds very bright, want a darker speaker, I'm a fan of V30's, but want something darker/bassier for this amp, what should I get?

Picture of my hokey closed-back. I love house renovations since there's so many scrap materials around to use.

[​IMG]

2. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred Chugs and Sweeps

Out of the two you mentioned i would recommend Celestion G12K-100, Maybe also check into Clestion Green Backs

3. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I thought the stock speaker sounded very good in those amps.

The trick to de-fizzing a valvestate is keeping the Contour control at zero.

4. mnemonic

I briefly considered greenbacks, but they're only 25 watts, and the amp is 80 watts.

Contour at zero was interesting, but it kinda made the amp sound like it was underwater. Very tricky to gain a balancing act there, the fizz tends to come back before the clarity does.

Using an eq in the loop also helps a bit more in that regard.

5. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Try a V-Type. You won't believe me, but try it. The Creamback H is fantastic too but they are rather expensive.

6. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

Long time V30 user and lover here (Mesa 4x12 recto cab). I bought a pair of K-100's for a 2x12 cab I built and I do not regret it. They sound killer. I have heard the Swamp Thangs live before but it was in an X pattern with Texas Heats... it sounded awesome though. I've heard good things about the Creambacks too.

7. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

I have cabs loaded with both K100s and 75w H Creambacks. Both are awesome options. The K100 is closer to a V30 in terms of voicing, without the high mid bump and with extender, much clearer lows. The Creamback has less lows, less highs, and has a lot of mids. Very warm and smooth sounding. Both are great choices.

8. mnemonic

Thanks for the info guys, I've done a bit more googling and research, I think I'm gonna look for a G12k-100. Hopefully I can find one used, and save some pennies.

9. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Don't buy a speaker - turn the treble down. If that's not working, buy an EQ pedal.

10. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

I actually just bought another K-100 from GC for $120

11. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

The Celestion G12 50-GL Lynchback would be perfect for the sound you're looking for, it is kind of a darker V30 with less fizz and more generous low mids/bottom. Unfortunately it is only rated for 50 Watts.

You could try the Eminence CV-75, it is in many ways better than a V30. There should be some comparison videos available. However, as it is quite close to the V30, it probably doesn't have that low end you're longing for; you might very well end up with the Celestion K100, by no means a bad speaker itself!

BTW just keep an air on the heat the amp develops; maybe the open chassis also prevented overheating.

12. mnemonic

Since I had to tear down my axe fx rig and store it in the closet as I've moved my bedroom into the spare room which is too small (room renovations), I pulled the V30 out of my other cab and tried it in the marshall for a couple days, as last time I tried it, it was for like 10 minutes.

After getting more used to it, the high end is perhaps more pleasing as it seems less fizzy than the stock eminence, but it also has less bottom end, and a more grating midrange. I've just put the Eminence back in and overall I think I'm now preferring this speaker.

The amp is also in a different position in the living room now though, and it sounds way better here than where it was, with both speakers.

I don't run the treble very high, I do have an eq pedal though.

I like the response and aggressiveness when I turn up the treble, its just all the fizz that comes with it. EQ pedal definitely helps tame that.

I'll check those ones out, cheers.

as for heat, the amp is solidstate and I haven't noticed it generating any heat at all, really. Then again, I don't leave it on for hours.