New Song Posted "Left Without;" newest mix for the Idoler EP!!! yay for epicness!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Slampop, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Slampop

Slampop Artist/Producer: IDOLER

-------------------------------------UPDATE: The "PIECES" EP MIX DONE!!! :fever:------------------------------------------

wasn't gonna make a new thread for this one gentlemen! still working on a lead sound i would like better for this track, but haven't found it yet! also, this will be the first track from the Idoler EP to get vocals!!! :scream:

Cheers dudes! :pops:
    Enjoy

Pieces (New EP Mix!!!)_mp3
    SoundClick artist: Idoler - Soundclick Page for Artist: Idoler_enjoy my personal music and other productions!

as usual, let me know what you dudes think!!! :metal: that is if anyone even ends up seeing this! :lol:

----Original Post-------
    Alright dudes! so i had a free week to mix...and i literally locked myself in my room for three days straight!! i think i have sores on the bottoms of my thighs from sitting at my workstation for such long periods of time, hahaha!!!

Anywho, here's what i changed about the mix (taking the "less is more" approach):

DRUMS: i completely tore apart my drum sound, including my drumbus vsts! i think i spent 20 hours total "just" on attemptimg to create the FAT KICK i've always wanted! :yesway: and then i brought the "smack" down on the snare and reeq'd it a bit...made it pap a bit harder anyway! overall, compressed the drums better (i hope)!!!

GUITARS: actually slightly compressed them this time, and added some much needed mids to them, while cutting back the low end a bit so the bass would sit better and take over more of that area in the mix.

BASS: smoothed out the tone, compressed it much better "imo" and shot at making it compliment the guitar tone a bit more.

THE WHOLE MIX: i tamed the harsh high end i was hearing from the last EP mixes that was actually adding a bit of "cheapness" to the overall sound...as well as "thinness!" (yes HANIAK...i said it!:lol:) i am only using one eq, a nuendo comp, and a limiter on the master bus! yay for simplicity!

Now as for the song, i think it's the most epic "djent" piece i have written which is why i rerecorded it for the EP. originally this track was meant to be in "F"...but i ended up doing it in "G" instead! still not sure if i want vocals on this yet :scratch:...but i'm sure i'll end up putting them on there! hahaha, the leads might be a bit "too" upfront in the mix, but i get yelled at it if they're too quiet ("please don't hit me!!!), but if they are i'll just update the track (which has already happened :yesway: *updated mix yo*)!!! :woot:

Anyway! i hope you guys enjoy!
    Cheers! :pops:

"Left Without"
    SoundClick artist: Idoler - Soundclick Page for Artist: Idoler_enjoy my personal music and other productions!

The Beard, Zak1233, Apophis and 6 others like this.
  2. ToniS

ToniS Chool Whhhip

Excellent :yesway:

3. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

ah man I'm a sucker for techy triplet grooves, awesome! :pops:

got to the lead part, this sounds more like Meshuggah than Meshuggah does!

I fucking love it :hbang:

4. Slampop

hahaha, thanks dudes! :metal:

...is that even possible!? :lol:

5. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

you made it possible and I respect you for that :agreed:

6. Slampop

i appreciate the kind words my man!

:noplease:...though now i guess that just makes me another Meshuggah rip off, which i guess lately is a :nono: around here!...AW DARN!!!:lol::lol::lol:

7. friendforafoe

friendforafoe Chugga+Djent=Happy Contributor

Hey now ... nothing wrong with Meshuggah at all! The only reason I said the thing about Meshuggah clones in my thread was because I'm trying to show a diverse range of mixes for my studio's demos. If it were up to me, I'd be doing nothing but Meshuggah sounding mixes :lol: ... I lurb some Meshuggie

Oh and back to the case in point ... your song = teh sex. The mix is nice as hell and everything sits perfectly in their places. Great job dudeage!

8. Fionn

Fionn SS.org Regular

sounds epic for sure, personally i would have brought the rhy gits up a wee bit, maybe 2 db say. The lead guitar is abit too loud too and it removes some of the overall "impact" brought to the mix by the kick and rhy gits. but yeah tight mix!!!

9. matttttYCE

matttttYCE SS.org Regular

THIS! Everything I've heard from you sounds amazing! And I have to say, after listening to this 3 times in a row, I think the leads sound GREAT! Maybe they could go down bit, but I think they sound really good where they are personally!

10. Slampop

FFaF- hahaha! thanks man! and dude...that was not aimed toward your thread at all my fellow Brosapien!!!

oh, and in case you missed this in the EDP thread...i shall post it again! hahaha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]...?

..."WAIT WTF, NO DON'T EAT THAT!!!"
    [​IMG] :lol::lol::lol:

yea man, i had already felt the same way on this, just eager to share it with everyone i guess!...new mix posted! though boosting 2db would throw the whole mix off, hahaha! so i just turned the leads down a notch and boosted the rhythm tracks up a "couple" notches, let me know what you think!

thank you soo much dude...i too like where the leads are...just had to up the "ampage" on the ole' rhythm tracks like Fionn said...UPDATED MIX SON!

11. HANIAK

HANIAK SS.org Regular

Man, I love that ending! If you played it through an whole hour I'm sure I'd listen to it till the end (and I get bored easily!)! :D
    I really dig your drum sound! The kick and toms sound so tight and rhythmic, just the way it should be. Great job and 20 hours well spent!
    I would put some delay on the leads, but it's sick as it is.
    Once again, the song is awesome and never mind the Mesh influence, because the overall product is not that similar, IMO.

12. Slampop

yes...20 hours of ear fatigue followed by coffee and chain smoking!!! :nuts:
    but yea man, for the record, i do take what you guys say seriously, and i realized that the "thinness" you were hearing from the last mixes were cause of the highs being boosted waaaay too much...so i lowered em and fattened up the drums...which changed the entire mix. it's funny how a mix works, cause one would think to fatten up a mix by boosting the bass/low end...yet i CUT bass frequencies from the bass AND guitar and just fattened the drums, and the whole mix got bigger! :scratch: CRAZY, I KNOW!!! Thanks again dude! btw...i have a delay running on the lead bus and a second delay on the "meshuggeque" lead parts as well! :lol: but maybe i should up the "mix level" a bit...next time though!

:rant:
    Oh, and just an fyi, i hung out with Chris Arp, a.k.a. the "Arpmandude" for a few hours before his set with Psyopus a couple months back, just shootin the breeze about music and recording (missed Molotav Solution btw, which i kicked myself for later! hahaha) and he said that he's gonna take a few years off from Psyopus after the tour to do his passion...and get this...an INDIE ROCK BAND!!! YEA, TELL ME ABOUT IT!!! needless to say it broke my heart...and i probably just broke your's telling you this! just thought i would share! :lol:

13. HANIAK

HANIAK SS.org Regular

Yeah, you had already told me that, but it was as painful as the first time to know it again... :(
    Anyway, I don't blame Chris. Psyopus is not easy listening, and even some guys who say they dig brutal shit cannot listen to Psyopus for more than 20 seconds :lol: Psyopus is way too brutal for this world, and if Chris wants a better life doing music no one can blame him for that (off course he could go as a studio musician, but it's his choice).

On topic: More important than taking our opinions seriously is taking your own.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing the "theory" of how everything went on the mix! The "keep it simple" method is something I always try to do and it's cool to know you achieved this mix with a lot of work but simple options.:yesway:

14. Slampop

hahaha, thanks dude! sorry that i repeated the Chris Arp story...i guess staying in ones room with the blinds closed for hours on end, and days upon days, must trigger some form of memory loss and definite dementia!!! :lol:

as for the "on topic" stuff: thanks dude...i was definitely relying on plugins waaay too much to make my mix big, when really...i was just overdoing it all!

15. Coryd

Coryd SS.org Regular

Killer track Slampop! Everything sounds really good and sits really well in the mix! Good stuff bro!!!

16. turd85

turd85 Kalmari

Great mix dude! Sounds very fat and pro also good job with the drums.

I really dig the atmosphere of this song!

17. DIOBOLIC5150

DIOBOLIC5150 SS.org Regular

The time and effort you put into your mix really shows. It sounds incredible. It's one of the best mixes I've heard on this site TBH. I only wish I had the time (and patience) to put that level of commitment into my mixes. That's the department I fail hard in. :lol: Great job dude, it really does sound kick ass. The song was definitely heavy and epic, too!

18. Slampop

Sooo happy you guys dig the track! :)

DIABOLIC5150- that means a lot man coming from you duder, i really appreciate the kind words man! your music is the tits btw!!! i rock it all the time!

19. Fred

Fred SS.org Regular

Holy shit dude, that riff around the 1m20s mark is absolutely fucking beastly! My jaw quite literally dropped when that one kicked in, haha. And yeah, the mix as a whole is seriously, seriously nice, your work definitely paid off.

Chuck some seriously hardcore vocals on there (none of that actual singing shit for this one, haha) and release an EP or LP of it and you are guaranteed some of my money!

20. Apophis

Apophis Banned

great :yesway: I like it :yesway: