New Slipknot

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Lorcan Ward, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

You ever think that they make the music they make because that's what they like and don't worry about what the social media and internet critics think? Seems to be working for them from my viewpoint.

2. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I'm sure they are, I don't really care either. The whole "yeah they're boring now because they've MATURED" thing is really annoying. They should have done what they said they were gonna do and kill Slipknot when it wasn't the original members and all the same level of vigor was gone, IMO. But I haven't really enjoyed anything since like half of Vol. 3, so my opinion doesn't matter, either. I'll be surprised if there is ever another band as big as them that is even close to as aggressive, but not because there aren't bands that are as good, but because the entire musical landscape is different and there will be very few bands in general that are gonna put up "arena numbers" going forward.

3. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

I can agree with most of that. I think it obviously comes down to matter of taste saying they are "boring" now, sure the song structures have simplified over the years. I will be the first to admit that sometimes I miss the aggressiveness and insanity of the first 2 albums but I've just had to accept this is the path they chose and still very much enjoy it.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Without the OTT aggro it makes the lyrics cringey AF, for me, lol. They were cringey before, but with the Stoneknot vibes, it just comes off as disingenuous to me.

failsafe likes this.
  5. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

Man, Slipknot were the gateway band for me back in the day. I remember hearing that S/T album for the first time back in 1999 and being blown away - the raw aggression, the imagery, the catchy songwriting, Corey's intensity...there wasn't really anything like them back in the day.

Iowa will probably always be one of my favourite albums, it's just back to back bangers the whole way through. Some seriously underrated tunes on there like 'Metabolic', 'Skin Ticket', 'Gently', 'Everything Ends' amongst the better known and loved tracks.

Say this for Slipknot - they know how to write a catchy, radio friendly metal track. People will hate on them - and I get it - but they are masters of a hooky chorus and catchy beat, even if their songs feel like they're becoming a lot more formulaic as they get older.

The anger does feel more disingenuous these days, but that's to be expected when you go from angsty, alchol and drug fuelled young guys to father's, adults and millionaires. There just isn't as much to be angry about anymore.

Having said that, I'd love for them to be right on saying WANYK will be a mix of Iowa and Vol 3. Certainly not expecting Iowa levels of heavy, Corey's voice isn't up to it anymore, but could see some of the weirder elements of Iowa interplayed with the catchiness of Vol 3 - which is probably a safe space for them to operate in these days.

Would be nice if Weinberg can up the complexity of his drumming though. I feel like Jordison's skills behind the kit have been sorely missed in .5 and probably this album, but i'll wait to judge too harshly.

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  6. luciformheart

luciformheart SS.org Regular

The two new songs were a lot more enjoyable when I saw videos of them being played live. I don't really expect them to make the same album again, they're a different band with different members in a different time now. :shrug:

I got into them right around the time I started to play guitar more seriously. They're always going to have that teenage nostalgia for me. :)

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

YUP bingo!!!

^^^ YUP

this is the things a lot of bands ignore becuase being "catchy" is lame and pop and "we arent sellouts".... who cares, sell the F out of yourself, go and pay them bills, once you have laydown your ground then you can become experimental and arty.

Slipknot became famous (at least in my country/ my perspective) same way lots of band did back in the day...... MTV..... you have no idea how influential MTV was back in the day when they used to actualy play music.... Korn, Limpbizkit, fucking Paparoach are who they are (or were) thanks to MTV, Linkinpark owes fucking LOTS(if not everything) to it.... I still remember the first day they played their first single "up next a really cool new band....blah blah, hype up the bad...." aaand they didnt stop paying the video for the next weeks every single day, next minute every radio station was playing the song too, next next minute Linking Park is huge.

Slipknot at that point.... fucking Wait and Bleed.... their most catchy song out of their first album, bam! perfect hook and radio friendly song for people go "who are this guys" then you bought the CD and and train hitted you in the head.

dont get me wrong, they got were they are due to hard work, stage pressence, art/concept, music, luck, ect ect.... but without MTV, radio they would have stayed as one of those "famous" bands you know they are there, but you hear nothing more of them, a festival warrior band, underground favourite. But without those catchy songs they would never have reached the enxt level of fame, the popular big masses ones

Wait and Bleed, Left Behind, Duality, Before I Forget, Psychosocial...... all catchy pop/radio friendly songs, things that are cool for us, but that are the right of "heavy" for normal regular folks out there, you know the kind "oh yeah I listen to heavy stuff too, I like slipknot... blah blah"..... we might like more some of their actually heavy stuff, but for the general masses, these kind of songs are a must if you want to get that big.

And I have said ti before, but for me a good "heavy" metal song is one that you can bang your head to it. If you cant due that (fucking blast beats) then the song is not "heavy", and Slipknot knows how to do that..... All out of Life is the perfect example of their formula and their perfect blend of heavy and commercial "heavy"

Vyn likes this.
  8. protest

protest SS.org Regular

It's the vocals. Whether his vocals on the self titled are technically "good" or not is irrelevant, you turn on Eyeless and you say holy shit this dude is a maniac.

To me, that level of emotion is the biggest thing that's missing from modern metal. The music is way more technical now, light years beyond Slipknot's S/T without question but the majority of it just doesn't stick because it doesn't convey enough emotion.

failsafe and Esp Griffyn like this.
  9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I also jsut like that the new songs of this new album (so far) they have the DJ and samples more present in it. Same with the extra percusion.

Thats something they lost after their first album. That S/T album you could hear what everyone was doing, you could hear 9 guys doing stuff. Fuck even the bass was there clear on the mix. The next few albums they became something more of a 4 piece band (as majority of the guitar is double up, same stuff)

10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I'm liking Unsainted more and more each time I hear it. I particularly like the drumming - the accenting on the main riff just grooves really nicely. I don't know if it's the actual drummer or the extra percussion guys doing it, but anyway.

11. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

When I listen to the first 2 albums, you can feel a rawness and hatred in Corey's voice and you'd believe every word he says. The problem is he can never replicate who he was, or where he was at as a person at that time. I always like to think of a record as capturing a band as they are at a moment in time and simply put they're different people now than they were back then.

failsafe likes this.
  12. Mayhew

Mayhew SS.org Regular

We are not the kids we used to be, stop wishing for yesterday- Alexisonfire

jwade likes this.
  13. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

I've loved Slipknot since my introduction to them in '99. I'd heard a little, liked it well enough, then saw them on a bill with Amen, Orange 9mm, Machine Head, and Coal Chamber. Slipknot played right in the middle, but later in the tour ended up getting flip-flopped with Machine Head.

The entire show, Craig was stage diving and crowd surfing while a tech hit the sample buttons. I was standing in front of Mick & Clown. In the wave of nu-metal, Mick standing there with a Jackson King V crouched down like it was 1987 was pretty cool. Clown kept point at someone up front and flipping him off.

failsafe likes this.
  14. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Like literally the last minute and a half from the harmony riff. The chorus was pretty bad though.

wankerness likes this.
  15. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Seeing as it's going around that he blew a testicle while screaming (.... How?), That might explain why Corey doesn't scream like he use to.

16. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Bs. Biology doesn’t work that way. Maybe veins in his eyeballs!

17. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

Now that's the funniest bs I've heard in a long long time! :lol:

18. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

19. brector

brector SS.org Regular

Dude's got ball

20. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill