New Slipknot

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Lorcan Ward, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

They really need to quit with that “heaviest thing since Iowa” bullshit that they’ve said for every album since Iowa. Back then, they were genuinely angry. Now, they’re cashing a check and coasting on formulaic songwriting.

Also, Corey’s mask is so fucking dumb. :lol:

2. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I didn't expect people to be so mad that a gateway radio metal band sounds like a gateway radio metal band...? even at their heaviest and angriest, there was heavier and angrier. Vol.3 and Ashes of the Wake came out the same year

My takeaway is, fuck yeah this song has 12 million plays in 4 days. A metal band is bigger than most rock bands. It'll only take em 5 days to get as many views on YT as "This is America" got in 24 hours. Guitar ain't dead yet boys

3. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

An interview I read this morning has a quote from Corey stating
    “It’s a mix between vol 3 and Iowa. It’s experimental and heavy” or something like that. So we’ve been had peeps

4. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I dunno. I remember being like HOLY F when I blind-bought Slipknot's S/T on release and spun up Sic and Eyeless. There really wasn't heavier that I can recall in radio-rock land at the time, they made Korn/Limp Bizkit/Static X etc sound like Nickelback. I mean, we were middle school/high school kids, of course it wasn't heavier than Cannibal Corpse or whatever metal was out there (that we'd never have heard without a weird older brother), but that was a pretty rough sound at the time. Iowa cranked it up a bit, too.

A-Branger and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  5. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I don't care what anyone says or how they feel about their music. They're the most important metal band of the last 20 years.

6. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

This, so much this. They were really one of the last bands to get big, like stadium big. Can't really think of a metal act that's done that since.

setsuna7, BlueTrident and Apex1rg7x like this.
  7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I stand by becoming a Slipknot fan once Vol 3 came and loved everything after. I honestly didn't like s/t or Iowa at the time and really didn't come around to them until sometime between All Hope Is Gone and Gray Chapter.

So yeah, I get bother by them saying things like "This sounds like the guys that wrote Iowa grew up".

8. MetalHex

MetalHex SS.org Regular

Im just waiting to hear the heavieat songs yet since is supposed to be "heavy". All out life is no heavier than any song from .5

9. Dwellingers

Dwellingers SS.org Regular

Diggin this song - dont care if its S/T og .5-ish material. It will probably grow on me either way. Slipknot is an important and big act - they will get flagged for everything the do - as this thread clearly shows.

Edit: fat fingers.

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  10. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

Heavier? Depending on your criteria, yeah there were heavier. But angrier? I don't think I've heard anything angrier than Slipknot in their self titled and Iowa era, except maybe Mastodon's Remission.

Slipknot's huge commercial success in their early career was due to their anger. Their honesty and aggression combined with incredibly memorable and catchy songs made them pretty special.

FILTHnFEAR and MikeH like this.
  11. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

ehh hopefully they'll have some bangers on the new album.
    I'm stoked that i'm going to see them with gojira and behemoth this summer. Slipknot always puts on a hell of a live show

Apex1rg7x and sakeido like this.
  12. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

jesus fuckin christ bud, good lookin out

I had no idea they were all on tour together and they are playing Toronto when I'm out there anyways. That is an insanely good bill... except for fuckin Volbeat lmao

BlueTrident likes this.
  13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Build the Wall of Sound™

yeah, as soon as I heard about the lineup I bought tickets.
    Volbeat is basically the danish version of 5fdp lol

BlueTrident likes this.
  14. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

I saw Volbeat when they played with Killswitch back in 2016 and man, they were terrible. I have no idea how they keep getting all these prime supporting act bills when they only ever wrote one song and just repeat it for the whole duration of their set

Got my tickets for Toronto though, and the $$$ flights to get to and from. Gonna be a gooder, can't wait to hear Unsainted live :lol:

BlueTrident likes this.
  15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Also I can't hate on Corey's mask because from far away I just see Heath Ledger's Joker without the scars.

setsuna7 and ChugThisBoy like this.
  16. Dwellingers

Dwellingers SS.org Regular

Volbeat sucks donkey dick - sooo terrible!

17. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

What is this "angry" variable and how is it defined? Why is Slipknot "the angriest"? Or is this going to be like my last question and get ignored :D

If we're going with angriest I'd think it would be something more like, Ani Difranco. :p

18. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    I could note 2 things Iowa and the s/t had that mostly none of them since replicated: production and emotion. Production is easy. They have warmed their recording tone and use a lot less gain. Everything is cleaner/tighter, which has pros and cons. Overall nothing bad about it, but I preferred the loose canon, high gain roar from the older material. Switching amps has something to do with it, I know what makes/models they've used for years, but also how they are dialing them in and how it's being recorded and produced. I'd love to hear some of their last 3 records re-amped with Uberschalls with different settings/boosts.

The emotion on the first two records, to me, had a major sense of urgency and pissed-off flavor they've not had in general, since then. Outside of a few tracks or moments in those tracks, you don't hear it as much since Iowa. Also, lyrical content was a bit more disgusting song to song than a lot of their later material. Not saying one is better than the other, that's just the difference I'm picking up. I'd rather the dirtier, hairy, dry and thick tone they used to have to they've been using since.

19. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

The comment about "heavier and angrier" is subjective. Back in the S/T-Iowa days for example they were a different sounding band than they are today. They've changed, gotten older, matured and most importantly have kicked drugs and have solid relationships for the most part. Corey isn't the angry kid in his 20's anymore. There will always be heavier bands but find me one that's heavier and can consistently sell out arenas and stadiums, show up on Kimmel and keep heavy metal relevant to radio play. Love them or hate them, like the guy above said, they are possibly the single most important metal band of the last 20 years.

20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Slowing down and getting predictable isn't a sign of maturity, its a sign of complacency.

akinari likes this.