New Slipknot

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Lorcan Ward, May 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. fps

fps Kit

Nah, I don't think those kinds of blanket statements hold water. Some people may have felt that. There may have been criticism, of course, but there's a tendency for guitarists to be very insecure and envious types. It feels good for a lot of bedroom players to be critical of people who actually do this for a living night after night and have really connected with an audience, it's kinda inevitable that criticism exists.

2. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Slipknot in general, at least for a while, was cool to hate. (which is a byproduct of being successful.) The general mentality was it doesn't take 9 guys to make that noise, they had a clown that hits trash cans with bats, and the guitars were simple. Also, which was especially baffling to me, was the "Joey Jordison isn't a good drummer... Listen to these other drummers that are better than him as if other good drummers existing makes his skill magically vanish." Now they've gotten past that point and people tend to like them a lot more and it's not so much cool to hate them.

For what it's worth, I've always liked their riffier shit over the shredtastic "everyone's done it before" guitar work. As an example, I really love Nomadic; it's one of my favorite songs, but they could chop the solo out and I think it'd be a better track for it. It's a big reason why I really dig this new album... A lot of just pleasant music without the wankery. I think people get too hung up on the complexity of a song when some of the best music, at least IMO, is quite simple. The best example I can think of is the main riff to Pantera's "Walk." Stupid easy to play, but incredibly powerful.

All my opinion, of course... ymmv. I suppose it's worth mentioning that even the songs they rip in are pretty good otherwise. Psychosocial being another example of a really cool song that would have been perfectly fine without the solo. Dead Memories, Nomadic, Pulse of the Maggots, etc. All great songs that would have worked just fine without the solos.

3. MAJ Meadows SF

MAJ Meadows SF on a tone quest

your front yard, staring into your window
    Agreed. Maybe quad tracking guitars would help, although I don't know what they do now. They sounded bigger on the S/T and Iowa, and for me they never did again until AHIG. It's most noticeable on power chord based riffs and chugs, but even the single note riffs had more heft on Iowa. I'd love them to take the Cannibal Corpse approach to guitars and sound stupendously huge. Gear is another factor, as that's changed to a tighter sound overtime which is preferred for recording of course. I loved the looser, approaching breakup tone on Iowa and S/T over the uber tightness.

I actually really like Red Flag precisely because it lacks traditional structure. But I don't disagree; they could have developed it more.

All of us elitist metal heads hate on dumb songwriting, which unfortunately lumps simple riffs and songs in there, though sometimes unjustifiably. I used to really be there myself, but I've tamed down over the years and appreciate some of the simpler stuff that isn't trying too hard. I think there's a time and a place for both. But, it is a mistake both ways to blanket judge simple songs as "dudes must not be good players" as much as complex songs without traditional structure making it "a wank fest". Sometimes either are true. But, it's often just because the band has different objectives. Players from the Nu-metal bands are actually pretty solid or even great shredders, but they don't write music like that based on what they want to play and the crowd they want to connect with. Again, it all has it's place. Play what you want, but have heart and mind in it because that does come across. Mick and Jim are both great players and do take a lot of undue flak for being in a Nu-metal band.

fps likes this.
  4. MAJ Meadows SF

Jordison is a hell of a drummer, definitely. I also think some of the solos feel either forced or don't fit the songs. But some of them really, really do well. I am enjoying the riff-forward approach on this new record though. They fire on all cylinders that way.

5. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

I am not a Slipknot fan; I’ve always wanted to be, and I like a few songs, but generally I couldn’t really jive with it. WANYK (which is a great acronym, by the way :lol:) is the first Slipknot album I enjoyed listening to all the way through. Nero Forte and Critical Darling are a great one-two punch, Orphan and Not Long For This World are great, Spiders is really cool. I was doing other things while listening and didn’t even notice some of the weirder tracks had gone by. My Pain was the only song I didn’t care for, but it’s not bad, just not my thing. Well, and that children’s choir on Unsainted was a bad idea, but it’s over quick enough.

All in all, I liked it! :yesway:

6. Chris Bowsman

Chris Bowsman SS.org Regular

Have you guys seen the video of Mick demoing a Line 6 Spider? His right hand is f-ing nuts.

The first time I saw them live, they were opening for Coal Chamber and Machine Head. The first album had been out a few months, and they were a couple shows from getting moved above MH. No solos at all, but I was standing on Mick & Clown’s side of the stage, like 20 feet from them. Whenever it broke into a super heavy part, and Mick fell into the feet wide apart, King V almost touching the ground stance, you could tell he was old-school death and thrash.

Also, Craig, the one who wears the spikes helmet, spent the entire show crowd surfing while one of their techs triggered the samples.

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Mick is absolutely an old school death and thrash guy. Also, I found it amusing that in a guitar world article from around like, Vol. 3, two of his top 5 guitar albums were Di Meola/McLaughlin/de Lucia Friday Night in San Francisco, and Fates Warnings No Exit. That second one made me giddy, being the hardcore Fates fan I am.

8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

If I had to name 5 guitarists that have influenced my playing greatly, Mick Thompson is on that list. His right hand is fucking phenomenal.

9. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Don’t know that I ever considered him in that way as I can take or leave Slipknot these days, but Mick definitely turned me onto jazz picks. I still almost exclusively play with the carbon fiber max grip.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2019
    protest and MAJ Meadows SF like this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire We need ERG Ironbirds

Behemoth fuckin killed it tonight. They sounded massive, especially on Wolves ov Siberia and For Thine is the Kingdom. Shame they only got to do a 30 min set though.
    Gojira came out swinging with Oroborus, Backbone, Magma, Heaviest Matter in the Universe, Silvera and a couple others. Their playing was super tight and sounded absolutely massive. Sadly they also only got a 30 min set but goddamn was it a great one.
    Volbeat was actually pretty good, and I'm not really into their music.
    Rob's trans black surfcaster was tasty as fuck. The singer's firebird/R2 looking thingy was pretty tasty too.
    Slipknot fuckin crushed for over an hour. They're a band that needs to be seen live. Great pyro usage, though their setup isn't as insane as back when they used to have Joey on an elevated rotating drum plarform. They played a lot of the crowd pleasers( people= shit, wait and bleed, psychosocial, eyeless and some others). The only song they played off the new album was Unsainted, which sounds way more brutal live.
    Jim and Mick had really killer guitar tone, it was super cutting and grindy.
    Jim Root had a killer black and red cerused ash jazzmaster (think gothic voodoo jazzmaster or acle kahney jazzmaster).[​IMG]
    Alex (the bassist) had 2 really awesome headless basses with super figured burl tops and bright green LEDs, one of which was from Red Layer Guitars iirc.
    Oh, and Corey's mask looks even worse in person, especially with his barcode slav tracksuit.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. Noisy Humbucker

Noisy Humbucker Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.

Probably this guy, I remember him showing it off in an interview years ago:
    [​IMG]

12. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire We need ERG Ironbirds

yup that one. It's sick.

13. Sammy J

Sammy J SS.org Regular

Corey sounds the best he has in years. I really don’t get those saying his scream sounds neutered. Sounds better than it has arguably since Iowa. He certainly couldn’t scream for shit in Vol 3 era.

14. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Still yet to check out the whole album but most of the songs I've heard individually are pretty good.

I can't listen to Unsainted though as the chorus reminds me too much of "American Authors - Best day of my life" and the cringe sets in.

Ben Pinkus likes this.
  15. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

Slipknot is definitely a good band to see live. I saw them on, I think, the tour that they recorded the disasterpieces DVD. I've also watched their new set I think two different times on YouTube. They've always been mostly tight (Corey is the weakest link, and occasionally tends to just mumble yell and get winded), and I really dig the new guy's backing vocals vs chris.

I remember watching a knotfest video from when .5 had just come out and the heretic anthem was just hilarious with the backup vocals... "If you're five five five, then I'm NYAH NYAH NYAH!" Lol

setsuna7 and Sammy J like this.
  16. MAJ Meadows SF

I've become such a new-school OSDM fanboy, and revived my founding OSDM joys, that this entirely makes sense as to why I consider Slipknot a bit of a guilty pleasure as a metal head. It's hard to deny when you can see the influence in someone. I used to be a tech death or die kind of person, and that's changed immensely. I like Mick's work; he's solid. And Jim Root is as well. These guys aren't making metal tunes inspired by Seattle Grunge or radio pop rock.

17. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Yeah, I recall people complaining that he would tune down his floor toms to the same frequency as the kicks to make it sound faster :lol: I just went wtf, that doesn't make any sense...

I always thought their rhythm guitars sounded a bit sloppy though (but now when I listen to All Hope Is Gone I don't notice it anymore, I used to think Gematria sounded sloppy right of the bat...), up to this latest album anyway which is just tight throughout (I didn't really listen .5). I know they're good guitarists, so I just assumed they got a little lazy in the studio.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  18. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

New album is not bad IMO. So much filler material though. DOn't know whether I don't "get it", but the tracks of just noise and DJ samples (Insert Coin, Death because of Death, What's Next) or weirdness (Spiders) just seem pointless to me. Production is also pretty "meh" with that fuzzy guitar sound.

Still not as satisfying as AHIG or Iowa for me, but there are enough good songs that I'll definitely spend some time listening to them. Orphan is going to be good live when that kicks in.

And yeah, Slipknot are an amazing band. You can even go back to those old shows from the 90's and they were a really tight and professional-sounding band. I remember the phase when all the guitar guys said they were shit guitarists, but I never bought that personally. That's back when shred was cool and everybody was worshipping Satriani, Vai, G3 etc.

Thing is, though they didn't "shred", the rhythm guitar work from the first album and Iowa is NOT easy to play at speed with all the gain without it sounding like shit.

fps likes this.
  19. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

You ever see this video?

20. fps

fps Kit

OK I've listened to new Slipknot several times now. Each time, Solway Firth has left me absolutely breathless. The lyrics on this record are fantastic, the vocals on this song are just from some other place entirely. Best rock/metal song of the year, for me, from the ones I've heard.

BusinessMan and Apex1rg7x like this.