New Seven String Neck-thru in Process

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by joshuallen, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

I think the top could still look good. Play a little with some bevels and turn the misstep into a design feature.

2. joshuallen

joshuallen SS.org Regular

This is sort of what I've settled on: using the bottom part as a pickguard/control cover, and and then leaving the top bare to contour to my body. [​IMG]

3. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

Personal opinion: commit to that bare top, because the osage orange sections look awesome when they're symmetrical and less so with one covered by the spruce.

Sweet build, by the way! Can't wait to see it finished.

4. XxJoshxX

XxJoshxX Djentleman

I think that could look really nice if the plate was a little bit smaller.I would love to see a bit more of the Osage Orange stripe instead of having it hide behind the spruce. Maybe if it only covered the lower waist area or the lower horn area instead of the entire bottom half

5. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

I vote no top no plate.

6. joshuallen

I appreciate the feedback. I do like symmetry.

7. immortalx

immortalx SS.org Regular

Bare top or not, it looks awesome! If you decide to leave the plate/pickguard on though, I'd go with what XxJoshxX suggested: make it smaller so that more of that stripe is shown

8. joshuallen

Right, do more like LP pickguard or something. Truth be told, I prefer the LP with no pickguard. I had a knockoff LP once, and it just got in the way. I can always kick the spruce top/walnut body down the road to the next guitar. And I like the idea of gaining a little more freedom to shape the body.

9. joshuallen

Got a new smoothing plane (Veritas) in trade. Put it to work on that Osage Orange. That plus a bunch of card scrapers and it is looking nice. Getting close to thinking about putting some finish on it. Still need to do the frets. I decided to put the control cavity above the pickups. I can never decide with controls. Honestly, I wish I could hide them, but couldn't figure out a practical way to do that this time around (Got a few ideas for next time though). It's going to have a rotary switch and a volume knob and that's about it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Top: front panel (will have a maple cover with magnetic fixture.

Bottom: rear panel cover.

Instead of chiseling a cavity out from the top or bottom, I went clean through with a forstner bit, then sawed out the waste with a bowsaw. It was initially much faster and easier, but the covers made it more challenging, Ah well. Live and learn.

10. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

looking great, bonus points for doing something outside the norm.

11. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Loving this build. And that Canary wood :yum:
    Have you got any left ?

12. joshuallen

I resawed the piece I had into 2 fretboards. It was quite twisted (osage orange is known to be a gnarly wood, in that respect, when sawn. Splitting is the preferred method for using it for bows etc.), but at only 6mm thick, it wasn't a big problem to get it to lay flat. Originally, I was going to have the osage going through the neck, but I didn't want to introduce that much of an x-factor into a neck. I'll do that some day if I ever find a really straight piece.

Over time, it will darken. The yellow is not forever, alas.

13. joshuallen

@CD1221 I'm nothing if not outside the norm

14. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

And in good company! Still loving this build.

15. joshuallen

Started doing some finishing. Adding some light dye to try to even out the tone of the walnut a little. Got all the holes drilled and body cavities routed. Next gotta do the frets.

[​IMG]

16. joshuallen

Got some brass fret pressing cauls from Stewmac and finished the frets after hammering the first 10-12. Decided I never want to hammer frets again. So I pressed them in with the caul shoved into a block of wood and my vise. Worked perfectly. So the first few are ugly, but the last few are perfect. I also experimented with hand shaping the fret ends before installing them. We'll see how that goes.

[​IMG]

17. joshuallen

well, it certainly was slow going for a variety of reasons, but I finally finished this guitar this weekend. I will try to get a soundbite this week. Anyway. I was trying some new things out on this. Some worked, some didn't. One I thought at least the initial results seemed appealing was a beeswax finish on the fretboard. We'll see how it plays, but I think it ended up looking nice anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. immortalx

immortalx SS.org Regular

This is a real beauty and deserves more pics man!
    I absolutely dig this :yesway:

19. joshuallen

Let me finish setting it up and getting it playing perfectly, then I'll add some more pics. It's not perfect by any stretch, but I am happy with it overall. The mistakes I made I can apply to the next guitar to make it even better. I plan to do a similar design next time.

20. joshuallen

All right. Here are the warts-n-all pics. It isn't perfect. I made a couple mistakes, then had to patch them up. This is my 7th guitar, and I think I've done each one in a totally different style with hand tools while still learning to use said tools. In a few years I will look back on these guitars with even more embarassement then I already feel. The parts that gave me the most trouble were the control cavity (I may end up redoing the back cover of that) and the string-through holes, as a couple went way out of line on me - I don't have a drill press. I think in the future I'll avoid string through for that reason. I'm currently learning to carve and plan on incorporating some relief carving into future guitars as well. There are a couple design elements I want to refine to fit my style better.

Anyway, at the end is a sound test. It's a 4-way rotary switch with the settings B, B+N (series), B+N (parallel), N. I think it sounds good. The pickups aren't the greatest.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/meat-computer/guitar-7-sound-check[/SC]

BlackMastodon likes this.