New Seven String Neck-thru in Process

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by joshuallen, Sep 24, 2014.

1. joshuallen

joshuallen SS.org Regular

Here are some images from my latest build. This is a neck-through seven. The neck is a hard maple core with walnut outside. The headstock will feature an open style, with the tuners pointed inward. The body will be a laminated walnut and osage orage ergonomic style with a sitka spruce top. Osage Orange fretboard, 25.5" scale with zero fret. Hipshot locking tuners, tune-o-matic bridge, Ibanez pickups. I think those are all the pertinent details. As with all my guitars, this is made basically 100% by hand. I'll post more pics when it is closer to done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. joshuallen

Let me know if you can't see the pics, I shared them from my google gallery. No idea if they will work.

Notes:

1) Osage orange is a bitch.
    2) Hand radiused for the first time (with a hand plane, pictured) and it went very well. Not as compound a radius as I hoped for, but still went swimmingly.
    3) Osage will darken to more of a chocolate brown with age.
    4) Custom truss rod, single action compression rod. Got a bunch of Fender bullet style truss rod nuts for my next few projects. Excited about that.

3. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Looks great ! Never seen Osage Orange before but it looks amazing.

4. joshuallen

The trees are everywhere, but the lumber is hard to find. They tend to be pretty gnarly. The French frontiersmen in the US used to use the wood for bows. Similar to hickory, in terms of working - stringy and stubborn.

5. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

The headstock has me very interested. I'll be following this.

6. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

colour me intrigued. subbed.

looking damn nice already. 100% by hand, major props.

7. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Klein-style shape?

8. joshuallen

Yeah, sort of Klein style with an exaggerated upper arm that reaches out to about the eleventh fret.

9. joshuallen

The only power tools I own are the bench grinder you see in one pic, because I was killing my hands trying to grind blades with sandpaper and a granite slab (and old-timey hand-powered bench grinders are expensive and hard to find) and a cordless drill, because I can't afford a good set of auguer bits for my hand brace, and still haven't gotten my hands on a good egg-beater drill for smaller stuff. That's definitely on my wishlist, but yeah, otherwise, I have assembled and made a nice collection of special purpose saws, rasps, planes, spokeshaves, chisels, gouges, scrapers and more. I still need a few things, like a nice high-angle plane (or a bevel up) for working tricky woods, like curly maple and that stupid osage orange, and some curved rasps for doing countour shaping.

That's just for the wood parts, though. I don't pull my own wire or anything. I've experimented with bridges and tuners made by hand, but I like the manufactured parts better so far.

10. joshuallen

Here's my son playing my second guitar, of a similar design. This one is set neck, 1 pickup. I believe it was basswood or alder body with that oak top. Walnut fretboard. Super cheap classical style tuners with a Rick Toone inspired headstock. String through the body without a drill press, which was interesting, but it came out serviceable.

[​IMG]

11. joshuallen

[​IMG]

Updated photo. Making slow progress. An hour here and there is all I can do at the moment.

12. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

Progress is progress. Looking good.

13. joshuallen

I wish I could just work on guitars all day, but gotta pay bills, eat, etc.

14. joshuallen

Thinking about dumping the top. I was originally inspired by this guitar: Sankey Guitars - Peekaboo. I ran into needing to recess my bridge into the top for my design to work, but the spruce is so fragile along the grain that the thin strip between the bridge and pickup snapped off. But I like the guitar without the top fine, and it would require no further modification to do it that way. May be the way to do it.

15. joshuallen

If anyone cares or wants to comment, here are my two options at this point. I screwed up the top a little. The spruce is quite fragile.

[​IMG]
    Option A

[​IMG]
    Option B

16. joshuallen

Fuggit. I'm going bare top. Hope to make some progress this weekend and post the results.

17. androponic

androponic SS.org Regular

Option B with bare top looks better. IMHO! but that fretboard is simply amazing.

18. neun Arme

neun Arme SS.org Regular

no spruce top is the best option, IMO. Can't you get another top?

19. joshuallen

Theoretically, if I had some money, yes. I could make one out of maple by resawing a board I have. It's a lot of work to do so, and I kind of like the bare top. I'm thinking of just going with it. If I'm going to do the spruce, I think I'll need to start again. I'm going to glue the body wings on and see how I feel about it.

20. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

Yea man, get the wings glued up and see if it still floats your boat. I personally would still try to get a top on it depending on how high the fretboard sits above the body. I just got a thing about having a really low fretboard, but either way, still an impressive looking build with or without that spruce top.

Any chance of re gluing the piece that chipped off and salvaging that piece of spruce?