New Schecter Models Megathread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 11, 2013.

1. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Well they'd have to pay me to play that. And I actually think I saw them sold cheaper here in the end than the one without, so the market decided the P inlay was a downgrade.

USMarine75 and Mathemagician like this.
  2. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

Fellas you seen the blackjack revival? They've been spamming it on Instagram

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  3. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

Can't wait. I hope they will keep the old solid black finish and triple cream binding, but I fear the urge for a figured top will prevail.

Shask and Mathemagician like this.
  4. I play music

mlp187 likes this.
  5. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

6. Jake

Jake GAS Master

I kinda liked the old "blackjack" inlays lol
    [​IMG]

7. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

As hyped as I am about the Blackjack series coming back, this is Schecter we're talking about. They'll find a way to screw this up like they've done with every product line in the past 10 years.

8. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 lifetime novice Contributor

Blackjack ATX >> og blackjack??? Or am I not remembering correctly?

Edika likes this.
  9. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

What's wrong with the banshee elites, or recent C1 SLS, or MIK Apocalypses, or KM signatures etc?
    Genuinely curious, as the recent (~4/5 years in particular) Schecter has been getting better and better IMO. Spearheading a lot of very nice features (luminlays, stainless steel frets, laminate necks) into the mid range over that time too. Even the recent Avengers are looking soooo good that I might finally excuse their awful headstock :lol:

At least until recent move to MII which is still a question mark and increasing prices, maybe some concerns will pop up- but that's the future, and not design related.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Surveyor 777 and Mathemagician like this.
  10. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

11. I play music

Ernie Ball nut

12. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

With every line there's always something weird about it. Whether it's abalone, tacky looking inlays, horrible burl tops, that damn sustaniac on all of their floyds, whatever drunken mistake the new banshee GT's with the weird racing stripe, etc. Things like the banshee elite series having no normal floyd option without the 5 controls or having a black bridge and chrome tuners/knobs. Honestly the only series I can think of that doesn't have any issues with the KM line and that was fully designed by Merrow himself, no Schecter. The sls elites have great specs but look tacky as hell. The Apocalypse line is actually pretty solid, but man that top is super uncomfortable on the forearm. The new banshee mach series is actually pretty cool, but again, mixed hardware colors, no normal floyd option, and why chrome on modern looking guitars? Not to mention the purple heart neck does not fit with it at all.

I swear Schecter is so out of touch with the modern player. They are like the uncle that tries to be so "hip" and "cool" by taking a glance at other companies but completely falls flat when executed. I love Schecter, they have the quality, the fan base, and really cool models, but they just always screw something up with the specs.

EDIT: I mean come on... look at this back cavity, you'd have to be drunk to think that's okay. It's rounded for a reason.

[​IMG]

Masoo2 and Zhysick like this.
  13. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

It’s like guitar companies are sports teams.

14. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

I'll give you the inlays, they can be pretty whack :lol: . Their headstocks kinda suck too if I'm being honest.
    But those and the rest are really down to preference though. And sure, if all you want is a black or plain guitar with a Floyd, you'll buy an Ibanez anyway, so I guess they're not trying to compete on that front- which makes sense. For people who feel that something like a black fade SLS Elite is too tacky, then this pretty much only leaves flat black and grey as finish options. And that's fine, not everyone has to like figured tops or wood grain.
    But once you set that aside, it's really not that bad. For every funky finish that you might not like, they have the equivalent guitar with more subdued looks. And in terms of being out of touch with the modern player, it's kinda the other way around. 26.5 scale sevens, stainless steel frets, modern neck profiles, luminlays, modern pickups across the range (including their own which are often top notch), sustainiac (whether you have use for it or not), evertune (whether I like it or not), some of the best hardware at their price points. Few people have that in their catalog. Of course you may not find the exact combination of features you like, but that's the case with pretty much any brand of stock guitars at the end of the day (unless again, we're just after a plain RG with a Floyd). If that's too limiting, you buy something custom or semi custom.

I mean, I don't really care that much at the end of the day, but I found you reply pretty surprising, at least in comparison to what other brands have done recently vs Schecter! What's a brand that's more "in touch" at those price points? Disclaimer: I'm old apparently so it's quite likely I'm just out of touch as them :lol:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Surveyor 777 likes this.
  15. Metal Mortician

Metal Mortician Ninja Lurker

All I can say is that the circa 2005 Blackjack series were great workhorse guitars. This was before the Hellraiser became the norm.

First 7s I recalled with a 26.5” scale. Loomis used them extensively before he got his signature model.

Mathemagician likes this.
  16. TheBolivianSniper

TheBolivianSniper SS.org Regular

I guess I'm in the minority but I think Schecter stuff looks amazing. I like the simplicity of Ibanez but Schecter is my favorite modern brand. Old BC Rich is my favorite look but I can't get behind the modern brand.

Surveyor 777 and Mathemagician like this.
  17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I was actually looking at the old ones recently because I was really thinking about buying one. I liked those old black/creme ones. I am curious what the reboot will be like.

18. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Nah, I'm with you on that. Besides that they looks great to my eyes, the specs are INSANE. This and last year's offerings weren't totally my cup of tea (especially once the SLS Elites were released, which nearly have my ideal specs for a 6 string barring some electronics mods I'd probably do myself), but the fact that they keep adding stuff each year is amazing to me. And the fact that they can do it at that price point is ridiculous (barring the new guys with Lundgren pickups, but I think that's why they cost so much more).

As far as the Floyd models go, I agree they should offer them without Sustainiacs again like they did before for people who don't want them, but at least they're significantly easier to take out than they are to install. And then for the holes where the mini switches are, you can put covers on them or use the holes to add more controls if you want. And you can sell the Sustainiac to someone else if you so desire.

Mathemagician likes this.
  19. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

The number of these that I've had come across my workbench over the last couple of years have increase my admiration for them as a brand. Their build quality lends itself to very high quality setups to be easily accomplished. Of the few bad apples that I've seen, it is largely due to user neglect.

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

My next 7 is either going to be an Aristides if I want full on USA/JP/EU quality and price point, or a Schecter SLS something if I want a budget option that just plays great. Like, there’s really no real competition unless you love ibanez neck profile/ESP’s headstocks.