New Rig Day

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Jacksonluvr636, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Got the Quilter in trade and decided to give the herbert preamp a try. This is my first setup like this so idk what to compare it to. Sounds sick in the room and is plenty loud. This will hopefully save my back some :) All I need is my pedalboard now.

I do really like these both but the Herbery really makes me want to try some other pre amp pedals. It was pricey and while it made me smile I cant help but to think I could probably cop some great tones for half the price with the tight metal or something.

[​IMG]

2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Dope setup!
    What made you go with the herbert instead of the VH4?

3. bloodnail

bloodnail SS.org Regular

Looks good man.im still thinking about getting the herbert pedal myself.

4. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Awesome, would love to hear some clips!

I was pretty underwhelmed by the VH4 pedal personally, tonally it was good, but it needed a boost to really open it up and then it was noisy as all hell.

Fingers crossed the Herbert brings the gain!

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  5. Jacksonluvr636

I just liked the clips better that I heard on the Herbert from Andertons NAMM.

It does have enough gain but barely enough if you like super high gain. I tested a few boosts with it today and I do like it better with a boost in the room with just me. Havent played this setup with drums yet so im still unsure how that will go. I'm imagining no boost in a full band mix will be better. It is noisy with a boost as expected but the Herbert pedal itself is noise free.

I recorded a couple of cell phone clips. Not doing the pedal any favors here as it sounds way better in the room to me.

This is with the Buxom boost. First half mid cut off, second half, mid cut on. Mills 2x12 with Eminence Legends. Embarrassing audio quality but all I can get for now.

[video]

6. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Nice dude!

The Herbert pedal through the fx return of an actual Herbert is basically the same as CH 3 of the amp. The difference is the pedal is a little stiffer in feel, the high end needs to be brought down a little more, and the pedal's low end is more boomy while the amp's is punchier. The differences are minor though and if you weren't A/Bing them you probably wouldn't be able to tell.

mnemonic and Jacksonluvr636 like this.
  7. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Sounds very heavy, I like it.

8. Bentaycanada

Tonally it sounds cool, but so was the VH4. I take it the clip is going thru the Quilter? I would like to hear it thru a tube power amp, that would likely help a lot.
    It is very noisy sounding with the boost, much like the VH4. It doesn’t sound like you were running a noise gate with it.

When I tried the VH4, I paid like $300 for it, so that was a big part of the let down. I know the Herbert is about the same, so I might have to wait on that. Plus with the Victory Kraken tube preamp pedal coming out soon..... but that said, the latter is basically twice the price.

9. Jacksonluvr636

Yeah in the Quilter loop. The Herbert pedal is pricey but idk I just prefer that sound over the VH4.

I did run it through my Tube Amp loop too but the quilter is pretty impressive.

10. Jacksonluvr636

@Bentaycanada any clips online on the Victory Preamp pedal? Can't seem to find any of the Kraken.

11. protest

protest SS.org Regular

It's definitely expensive. I'd say if you're looking for a distortion pedal to run in front of an amp only or just a metal pedal than it's not worth it. If you're looking for a preamp pedal or specifically the Herbert tone than it's as close as you're going to get.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
    I play music likes this.
  12. Bentaycanada

One of these has the preamp pedals being played, abet briefly.