New Rig Day, part 1.

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Invader, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Rook

Rook Electrifying

You said you didn't have your engl cab, that doesn't mean you don't have access to a cab lol

2. Invader

Invader 97.5 The Brodeo

[​IMG]

Any guesses? :D

Well, here's the complete rig.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cab is a Rectifier 2x12". So far I'm really liking the amp, I just need to familiarize myself with this kind of rig, I'm not used to tweaking a tube amp. Going from playing through a cheap modeller to this, it's a totally different ballgame.

The only trouble I'm having is with the reverb. It stops working once the amp warms up properly. That's about 5 minutes of playing time. If I turn the amp off and let it cool, the reverb works again, until it stops working after five or so minutes. Cold solder joint somewhere?:scratch:

Also, I need to get myself a noise gate and an OD pedal. Any suggestions? I know the ISP Decimator G-string is really good, it's just a bit pricey. OD wise, I'll probably try out the Bad Monkey first.

3. snuif09

snuif09 SS.org Regular

Looks damn good!

4. GuitaristOfHell

GuitaristOfHell The Optimist Prime.

Congrats man!

5. metalvince333

metalvince333 Gear Whore

ENGL seems to make the worst decisions as of wich amp they discontinue ...I have a E860 Rackhead wich is by far my favorite amp of all time and it seems that theres only a handfull going around on the whole planet..but yeah! this setup looks nice as hell! if you ever go to a 4x12 check out orange's I love mine (ltd white 4x12 w/v30's) it sounds thick and soo heavy! congrats again man!

6. Rook

Rook Electrifying

That is a beast of a rig dude.

I've never even considered ENGL because they just aren't in the league of versatility that Mesa has, and I love the Mesa sound, I'd love an Invader or Savage as a second amp.

Happy NRD.

There's no excuse for a lack of clips now :lol:

7. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

The Boss NS-2 is a good choice, got mine on here for $65 used. Bad Monkey is a good OD, I hear.

8. Invader

Invader 97.5 The Brodeo

I made this rolling bed for the rig out of an IKEA shelf board. Now I can move the rig more easily and it also sits a bit higher, which is nice since the Mesa cab is rather directional. I'm also thinking about integrating a mic holder to it somehow. That way my cats would have a harder time messing with my mic placement. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also troubleshooted the reverb issue a bit - I noticed the reverb tank is located outside the actual amp chassis, on the back panel of the main housing. I pulled the back panel and wiggled the connectors a bit, then put it back on. The reverb worked much longer this time. After it finally stopped working, I lightly knocked the back panel a bit, near the reverb tank, and the reverb started working again, and has worked ever since with just a few hiccups (which I've corrected with a few knocks on the back panel).

So it seems there's something wrong with the tank itself. I hope. That would be an easy fix.

Thanks! I'll probably stick with this setup for now. Hell, even a 1x12" would've sufficed for me, but I just couldn't get over how dumb it would've looked - a tiny cab under a rather large head. I know, I'm a bit of an esthetics whore. :lol:

Cheers! I'm actually a bit surprised how nice the cleans on this head sound. I'm finding myself playing on the clean channel more than on the crunch and lead channels. Could the 6L6 power section have something to do with it (at least that's what the seller thought about it)?

The only (and rather pathetic) excuse for a mic I have currently is a cheap Logitech headset with a boom mic. I tried to record something with it yesterday and it sounded, well, pretty terrible. :lol: Next on the growing list of stuff that I need, an SM57.

Yeah, I'll probably pick up something cheap like that NS-2 for now, and see how it works. The ISP G-string really is tempting though.

9. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

When it comes to brutal tones, the savage is my absolute favorite amp. In my book there isnt even competiton. Great purchase :hbang:

10. Invader

Invader 97.5 The Brodeo

Yeah, it sounds pretty brutal alright. :metal:

I just scored a TS9 with a Keeley 808 mod, I'm hoping it will make it even tighter and brootzier. :D

11. german7

german7 SS.org Regular

OOOMFG!! congrats dude I love ENGL.

12. Wookieslayer

Wookieslayer OOOAAARWWWRR

That last pic is sexy :yum:

Oh and nice Jackson Pro! :metal:

13. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

Congrats! that setup looks great.
    I've only had the opportunity to play thru an SE and I absolutely loved it.
    Zimbloth seems to think I may like an Invader so when he gets one in I will be giving
    it a test drive :shred: