New pups, which way to wire capacitors?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Vrollin, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Just received my SD JB and Jazz for the Zach Myers. Have some sweet push pull pots to get split coils and big orange drop caps for it all.
    What is the best way to wire the caps, and what advantage does it pose if any to wire them one way over another?
    I've seen some diagrams where the caps go from volume pot to tone pot and others where the cap goes from a leg on the tone pot to the body of the pot....

Pic of the fun lined up for the weekend :)
    [​IMG]

2. thrashmetal85

thrashmetal85 SS.org Regular

3. Senior

Senior SS.org Regular

As far as I know, the only difference is that with individual Tones, you need to connect the caps at the volume pots in order to bleed the highs off before each pup signal gets to the switch.

4. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Unless you want different high end cut for each pup or switch position, just wire it between the middle leg of the tone pot, and the ground of your choice (usually the back of the tone pot). Or if the hot lead goes to the middle leg of the tone pot, put it between an outer leg and ground.

If you want the effect of the tone pot all the way down, all the time, just put one between whatever hot signal you want to cut, and a ground. For instance, to cut everything going to the output jack, put a cp between the hot and ground of the jack, or the leg of the pot the hot output goes to and a ground.

So say you want your neck pup to have the max roll off whenever you switch to it, you put a cap between the hot lead of the neck pup and ground, or if it has it's own volume pot, between the hot leg and ground on it.

You can even put a cap between the hot output of a coil tap and ground, to get max roll off in single coil mode. The options are practically infinite. You can sculpt the tone for each setting on your axe with caps. The lower the value, the less highs get cut, so you want just a little roll off, use a small value like 3600pf (.0036uf) instead of the typical values like .022uf/.047uf.

Research treble bleed circuits.

5. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

Im thinking about trying the vinatage option, where the cap goes between the tone and volume pot, after a bit of reading my understanding is it has less treble roll off when turning down the volume pot.... But until I get the short shaft pots for the tone pots I wont be making much progress, they sent long shaft and while they will be no issue to use I wan't short shaft for tidyness in the cavity, seems stupid, but I will know its there....