7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
2,150
Reaction score
318
Location
Illinois
Hey Everyone.

Some might have seen that I was shopping around for a new 7 string body. Well, I got one. Its made by Nate Perle, and its fuggin immaculate.


Resized_20211028_202501.jpeg
Pretty sweet, right? Seriously, what a cutting board. I could look at this grain all day long. Which is the plan of course. The biggest things I have to do to it is bind the top, create all mounting for the bridge, and obviously finish it.

Here it is with the RG7321 neck that I'm mating it to. Its a 2006, 65mm heel width spec with some of the lightest rosewood Ive ever seen. Its really not going to vibe at all, so I'll have to dye it (over and over until I sell it or die :lol: ). I got this neck when my RG7321 was destroyed in a flood. The original body is all full of massive cracks and just wasnt worth trying to salvage.

The neck, on the other hand, was perfect. And not just perfect, but it is completely straight to the leveling beam. On both the bass and treble side of the neck. Which is something that i dont think any other guitar in my house can say, functional or otherwise. It really goes to show the strength of these 5pc necks.


20211029_193806.jpg 20211029_194553.jpg

Since I dont have any hardware yet, I decided to work on the neck first. And my first task was to eliminate something that every Ibanez owner secretly hates.

20211102_142256.jpg

You can see a little bit of the old finish line where it landed on the original body. Not bad, very normal. But as the pencil line shows, it is far more extreme on this body, being nearly a quarter inch deeper towards the 24th. So I had fix it. Many people would have just let it go and not bothered, but I say fuk 'em. This is my guitar, I'll destroy it as I please :agreed:

20211102_142305.jpg 20211102_161515.jpg 20211102_161544.jpg

Much better. I didn't really take any before/after pics of it but I also re-shaped the neck profile. This neck took the Ibanez notion of a "flat D" and ran it to the ultimate extreme. This neck was basically a rounded hexagon :lol: So I took down the shoulders and got it a little more into C territory. Anyway, there is clearly more to come. Here is roughly what I am trying to achieve.

Screenshot_20211030-023815_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for reading!
 

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Joined
Feb 16, 2012
Messages
2,150
Reaction score
318
Location
Illinois
Todays task was to make sure everything was even, and get it 90% towards finish sanded. I dont think I'm there yet, but its lookin really good.

You see I used some very light pencil lines all over. Its a great trick for finding low spots.

20211105_150937.jpg

Masked of the serial number since I plan on putting an Ibanez logo back onto it.

20211105_151529.jpg 20211105_161642.jpg 20211105_161659.jpg 20211105_165434.jpg

Definitely still needs more sanding, but I'm close to ready for paint. Ill be painting binding onto the headstock, than clearing matte over the face and sides to keep it there.

Ill also have to dye the fretboard soon, it would be nice to get some advice with the binding an inlays. Ill be using leather dye to do it, cant remember the brand. Comes in a yellow bottle. Also maybe I could use some type of finish to help keep the dye from fading on the fretboard. I dont mind a small amount of finish on a fretboard, so long as its not laquor like my Classic Vibe.
 


Top