New poor man's Mayones by Ibanez

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
They're absolutely biting Mayones' aesthetic, but fair game, it's not like most people can afford a $4500 guitar

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
Lmao they got rid of the blade switch with plastic adapter and people still bitch about it.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
They're absolutely biting Mayones' aesthetic, but fair game, it's not like most people can afford a $4500 guitar

Ibanez_S521_1.jpg

mayo.jpg

Look at how Ibanez copied that shape...:lol:

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
The S and Regius are completely different shapes and designs..

And personally, no Ibanez will ever touch a Mayones in my book. Especially not an Iron Label :lol:

It's arguable who's copying who, but comparing a $4k guitar to a <$1k guitar is laughable. It's not a debate that a j custom >>> similarly priced setius.

In Europe mayos aren't even that exotic. The import and currency exchange makes it so overpriced.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
In Europe mayos aren't even that exotic. The import and currency exchange makes it so overpriced.

I live in Europe. Mayones are still boutiques here. The currency exchange makes them more affordable in the US than it does here.

I guess it's just quicker to say, ¬

pkgitar

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No hipshot or schaller? I'm out.

It's a joke, again.

Need more reverse headstock Ibanezez though.

Aymara

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The import and currency exchange makes it so overpriced.

Yes and no ... and don't forget the shipping costs ... a Setius Alpha 6-string starts at 1500&#8364;, while a Regius Gothic 7-string already costs 2800&#8364; ... at least in Germany.

And our UK friend will complain even more, once this Brexit nonsense will be reality ... poor Britain, poor EU.

Jeffbro

Banned
Reaction score
I live in Europe. Mayones are still boutiques here. The currency exchange makes them more affordable in the US than it does here.

I guess it's just quicker to say,

More affordable because of income, but overpriced compared to other guitars of similar quality in the US.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
It's arguable who's copying who, but comparing a $4k guitar to a <$1k guitar is laughable. It's not a debate that a j custom >>> similarly priced setius.

Overpriced isn't the discussion, there are many overpriced guitars. But if you resonate with the brand and don't mind paying you'll still go out and buy one.

Vice-versa, you (big_aug) comparing a 1k guitar to a 4k guitar is also laughable. I've owned 3 J-Customs, and they are great guitars but they're more like souped up Prestiges. And Prestiges are great guitars in their own respects, one of my main players is an old RG550. I would take a Setius over a J Custom from my own experience but simply saying >>> one guitar to another does neither guitar any justice.

The Setius is a mostly hardtail carved top guitar, and the J Custom is a drop top trem equipped instrument. They both do things the other can't do, and they're both fantastic. If we're talking overpriced, paying 4k new for any J Custom is ....ing absurd in my book considering how shot the resale on those are. I ended up selling both of my JC 6 and 7 strings for 15-1600 when I decided to let them go.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Still upset they didn't release one of these as an 8 considering that's what I play 99% of the time

Lawyer85

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Don´t ask me why, but the first one with the blue and natural burst just looks kinda wrongt to me. Maybe it´s the Headstock which doesn´t fit to the finish, i just don´t know.

The Second one with the dark grey / black Burst looks great.

I totaly dig it that they got rid of the silly and cheap looking plastic which covered the blade switch.
Every time i looked at an Ibanez S Series my eyes get caught by the blade switch an instantly i was thinking "waahh,why does it have to be this way" ?

Since they are from the Iron Label Range, hopefully the will be at an affordable price.

pott

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I lived in Europe until a year ago, owned a Mayones, and I wouldn't call these boutique at all. The Setius GTM I owned cost less than any MusicMan out there (was 1.5k euros), and was a lesser guitar (a couple of finishing issues, unaligned side-dots... sounded pretty though. Nothing exceptional, but nothing bad. A little bright).

I bought it in Koln mind; I guess they're more prevalent in Germany than in the UK.

It took me a while to notice these issues (none of which influenced playability), and I eventually traded it for a Music Man Axis Super Sport with rosewood top, rosewood neck, and piezo. This guitar then got stolen less than 6 months after having moved to the US :( It was a MUCH superior instrument to the Mayones.

[/hijack]

Aymara

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It was a MUCH superior instrument to the Mayones.

Yeah, because the Setius is some kind of entry level Mayones model. I'm curious, if you would have come to the same conclusion, if you would have had a Regius.

But I think the conclusion might be the same, Mayones is not a boutique brand, except their customs maybe.