New Pickups Suggestion!

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Zwag, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Zwag

Zwag Level 1 Gear Slut

Hey guys, I've been looking for some new pickups for two of my guitars: a Sterling JP100 (basswood body, maple neck w/rosewood fretboard) and my Ibanez RG7421 (basswood body, maple neck w/rosewood fretboard). For my Sterling I am looking for an all around metal/prog machine that will be my workhorse for 6 string stuff. For my Ibanez, I am looking for an aggressive pickup in the bridge and very jazzy neck pickup that can sound great with a coil split. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Lace X bar in the Neck
    Lace Deathbar in bridge

thank me later....

3. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

Dimarzio Dominion in the 6
    Dimarzio CrunchLab/PAF7 in the 7

4. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

Your guitars are quite bright sounding, so Lace would be too shrill imho. DiMarzio Breed in 6 in the bridge position. Air Norton or Humbucker from hell in the neck position. If You want fast and percussive pickups with nice mids for dirt Seymour Duncan Full Shreds would be nice. I don't play 7 string guitars, so i can't help You with that one.

5. ASoC

ASoC Downpicker \m/

What's your budget? I have a Ceramic Nailbomb in the bridge of my 7421 and it kicks ass. Fantastic Swiss army knife of aggressive pickups. If you have the budget for BKPs you should shoot them an email and they'll help you. Nick (Zimbloth here) at the Axe Palace will also help.

As far as DiMarzio, you can't go wrong with a PAF or Air Norton in the neck. What tuning do you play your 7 in? I would recommend the D-Activator as a good aggressive sounding bridge pickup, but I think it's got too much bite for standard tuning

6. Jaxcharvel

Jaxcharvel SS.org Regular

Lace recommends 250k pots for this very reason. I put them in a alder/walnut body with a maple neck, ebony board guitar (with the 250k pots) and they aren't shrill at all. Very full and organic sounding. Even tapped. I second the Lace suggestion.