New Pickups for my RG7620

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by NormanTexan, Oct 23, 2020.

1. NormanTexan

NormanTexan SS.org Regular

Hi everyone I just got my first seven string, the online legend: Ibanez RG 7620. I was pretty amazed by the quality and the sound of the guitar for being 20 years old. So far I love it but I would to take it to the next level by changing the pickups.

Does anyone have experience with replacement pickups for this guitar? I was thinking of the following pickups shortlist, let me know what you think would sound better.

_ BKP Aftermath
    _ DiMarzio Crunchlab/Liquidfire
    _ Lundgren M7
    _ SD Nazgul/Sentient
    _ DiMarzio Blaze - I put this one since so many great sounding albums were recorded with those pickups (early Meshuggah, Morbid Angel, Korn). They often get overlooked by the BKP and other signature DiMarzio pickups.

2. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

if you love the sound of the guitar, leave it be. a new pickup isn't going to make a huge difference... just dial in whatever amp/software you use

hensh!n likes this.
  3. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

if you ever played stock 7620 pickups youd eat those words. not terrible , but definitely below average especially by modern standards.

to the OP right now at this moment I have an ibanez with an aftermath , a 7620 with a petrucci illuminator pickup , and an ibanez with a lundgren m8 as well as another with emgs all with me here right now and ive had a carvin dc727 with the nazgul in the past.

imo of these pickups the lundgren is the best , followed by the petrucci. if you want the single most brutal pickup that chugs like a sledgehammer get the lundgren. if the music you play isnt based around being brutal or heavy then maybe check out the petrucci for more diversity. ive yet to play a bare knuckle that I would consider better than the dimarzio petrucci series of pickups , they are excellent but youre paying a premium for hand wiring and aesthetics not more "premium" tone than duncan dimarzio etc. the lundgren on the other hand being the best of the best at what it does can justify the price cause nothing can do its job better. the nazgul was also very excellent but still outshined by the petrucci.

and i know you didnt ask but dont even waste your time on the emgs they honestly sound paper thin compared to the others

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

Pickups aren't a magic cure-all. Unless there's specific issues you're trying to fix with your current sound, it's a waste of time to change pickups. I say that as someone that swaps pickups constantly (moreso because I like testing stuff than anything else).

5. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

i own a completely stock rg7620... no words eaten. love the pickups and can get any tone i want with them

Matt08642 likes this.
  6. BeyonThe7thSeal

BeyonThe7thSeal SS.org Regular

I put a DiMarzio Imperium 7 in the bridge of my 7620 and it’s mid-range heavy. Very easy to get some heavy thrash tones.

7. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I had a D Activator and Liquifire in a 7421. Phenomenal. It's a crap shoot. I loved my Titan neck pup in my 7 string Warlock, in my EC257 it's ok. If it's mahogany go Crunchlab, if it's basswood go D Activator. But I had no problem with the DA in my mahogany 7421 reissue. Before I had a DA in a basswood M207. The DA has always been outstanding across multiple woods/guitars for me. But you have to like the EMG 81 thing. It's flat, hot and neutral. My next stop is 57/66-7 TW. I love single coils and I can wire them myself.

Rex likes this.
  8. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

both of us can only speak from experience , mine being that they were too low output and very muddy compared to my other pickups.

9. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've had a bunch of different pickups in a bunch of different 7620/7621/7421/XL models, including the stock pickups for a reference.

What do you actually want more or less of compared to the stock pickups? Changing stuff for the sake of it is just as likely to put you a step further away from your ideal sound as it is to get closer, you know?

10. Defrost

Defrost SS.org Regular

I’ve tried the Lundren M7 in it and found it too boomy. Ended up with an Evo7 and coudn’t be happier. Clear, crunchy, right amount of bass. Unlike the normal Evo. Try it! I foolishly sold the guitar back in the day and am now trying to buy it back. Its still one of the best seven stringers to me.

11. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

I've got a d-sonic7 on my custom-ish 7620 and I've been quite happy with it.

12. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

I recommend the D-Sonic 7 and Liquifire 7. I've had quite a few different pickups in my R7621, and the D-Sonic has been my favorite. I've heard the Crunchlab 7 can be a bit muddy/dark; the D-Sonic 7 is neither of these. It cuts like a knife without being too harsh for leads, and has a very fast attack, which is the main reason I love it.

I currently have an Air Norton 7 in the neck position, which is nice and smooth, but would prefer just a bit more output to match the bridge a bit better. I think the Liquifire would be ideal for me, though I have yet to try one.

13. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

Well I will tell you what I stumbled upon. I am a big Schecter USA fan but have owned a plethora of Ibby guitars. My handle is a UV777 from 2011 (best year for me) and a Jem 7v7. I have always loved the 7620/21 guitars but agree a pickup swap makes them incredible.
    Schecter Apocalypse pickups sound ridiculous in basswood Ibanez guitars. My buddy has my 7620 in his studio tracking now, and he is floored by the tone. I have a workhorse guitar named "TUCO" as in Tuco from the movie The Good, the Bad, The Ugly...well Tuco was the ugly guy and this is an ugly guitar.
    So to make it uglier, I put in a limited edition set of Schecter snakeskin covered pickups...Apocalypse matched set. Same result, ridiculous tones.
    I don't do super low tunings, standard or Eb for me...I am an 80's guy. But my friend is tracking an Engl invader for super heavy stuff in Ab and wants to buy the guitar. You will not be disappointed with Schecter Apocalypse pickups.
    Meet Tuco.

Attached Files:

• Tuco.jpg
      Tuco.jpg
      File size:
      173.6 KB
      Views:
  14. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I like my 7620 stock pickups, but the Blazes in my 752 are exactly what I was after in a 7 string pickup (Not tight or clanky like modern stuff like Titans)