New pickups for my incoming DC800

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Shredward, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Shredward

Shredward Member

Hey guys so I've heard some of the demos of the DC800 stock pickups and they're okay but nothing more. I was definitely looking to replace them once i got the guitar. I've always been a fan of Bare Knuckles pickups (especially the Aftermath/Coldsweats sets) but I'm also open (kind of) to Active pickups. I really like having an open sound when I play as far as dynamics go. Do you guys think that EMG 808x's really sound as good as people say? I unfotunately haven't had the luxury of playing them and the soundclips I've heard haven't done them much justice. How would the 808x's stand up against the stock DC800 pickups? Also, how would the EMG808x's stand up against the Bare Knuckles stuff? Please pardon the scattered nature of this post you guys haha. Thanks!

2. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

Ive owned 808s, 808Xs, and Blackouts before my DC800 with the stock pickups. The 808Xs just sound more like Blackouts is all. The DC800 pickups slay all 3 of the listed pickups so I myself would not suggest what would be a downgrade to any of the other actives IMHO.

I personally love my DC800 pickups and dont plan on changing them anytime soon.

If youre geared more toward passives you could go with BKPs if you dig them but I would consider D-Activator 8s as well as people have compared them to Lundgren M8s or BKPs for a fraction of the price. Any passive you can get a plastic cover for so its more pleasing to the eye.

3. Shredward

Shredward Member

Does Lundgren make active size, open pole humbuckers?

4. celticelk

celticelk Enflamed with prayer

If you're dead-set on changing pickups, Lace's X-Bar 4.0 and Deathbar 4.0 will fit the route on your DC800 as well. Adding BKPs or DiMarzios will require that you either live with the open space around the pickup or invest in EMG-style covers or a couple of the active->passive pickup rings.

5. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

No you would either have an open space in the body cavity, or you could have pickup rings made or put a EMG style plastic cover over them. There are resources around the forum for those options.

As suggested above Lace makes some pickups now that may be worth looking into. I havent heard them myself though.

6. Shredward

Shredward Member

Do you guys have any clips of the Lace pickups? I'd love to hear them

7. ForThisGift

ForThisGift SS.org Regular

I would look into the Lace pickups. I have a set in my soon to be finished OAF 8 and Celticelk has first hand experience with them in his OAF as well.

8. celticelk

I have a pair of the X-Bars in my OAF 8 (more or less - when I bought them, they weren't a production model yet). I really like them, but (a) I'm not a metal player, really, and (b) I have no experience with active pickups, so I'm probably not your best resource for direct opinions. Fortunately, since I am badass librarian, I went and found you some clips from elsewhere on the site. =) Hopefully these will help you evaluate whether the Lace pickups might work for you.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/193755-ngdx2-npd-test-clip-lace-ibanez-fender-content.html
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pi...l-tech/192688-npd-lace-aluma-x-bar-4-5-a.html
    Movieon4-23-12at1207PM.mp4 video by Murdstone - Photobucket

9. jjcor

jjcor SS.org Regular

Do they sell a neck and bridge pickup? Cause when you go to purchase theres no option for neck or bridge....As far as I can see.

10. celticelk

It's the same pickup. Just order two. :yesway: Or get an X-Bar for the neck and a Deathbar for the bridge; one of the clips I linked features a guitar set up that way.

11. Rap Hat

Rap Hat the:pawn.project

I have the X-Bar 4.5 in my Agile Pendulum 82527 and there are clips in the soundcloud link in my sig. It's become my favorite pickup, I can't wait for my OAF to come (that has 2 X-Bars). I don't play much metalcore/djent stuff, but for testing purposes the Lace handled it great.

I'd definitely try the Carvin pickups first though. Most people seem to like them more than EMGs, SDs, and DiMarzios, and you may find the new pickups aren't as good as the stocks.

E: missed that Murdstone had linked to my NPD; thanks man!

12. yuureikun

yuureikun SS.org Regular

I replaced the stock pickups in my DC800 for DiMarzio Dactivator 8s. The stock pickups were very good, much better than other actives I have played. But, in my opinion, they still lacked the clarity and punch I get from a nice set of passives. DiMarzio pickups are, by far, my favorite. I put them in my DC800, and could not be happier with the tone I get from this guitar. I had some custom pickup rings made, but you could just deal with the open space in the routes, or get some EMG style plastic covers if you prefer the guitar to look 100% stock.