New pickup install day

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Cole Justesen, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Cole Justesen

Cole Justesen SS.org Regular

So I have been reading nothing but amazing things about Lundgren pickups, especially in 7 string guitars. So I decided to take the plunge on a set. Sebastapol Music had a set that included the M7 bridge and Black Heaven 7 neck.

A little prelude to this set... I have been fighting my Ibanez RG752 a bit, and have been trying to get a set of pickups that really work with it. So far I had the PAF7s which are really good, but the bridge was a bit tame. Honestly the neck was pretty killer though. I swapped the bridge for a Blaze Custom and liked it more, so I decided to match it with a Blaze neck. I personally wasn't too keen on the Blaze neck as it was much warmer than the PAF7, though it blended nicely with the Blaze Custom. Still trying to find the ideal sound, I was looking at going active with either a set of EMG 57-7/66-7 or the new Seymour Duncan Loomis set. I ultimately decided to give the Lundgren set a go.

Thanks to the routing of the Ibanez, I was going to have some kind of work to modify the pickups to fit. I decided to take the base plates off of the PAF7s and mount the Lundgren set on them. It was an easy swap and the pickups mounted without a single issue!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is what they look like in the guitar...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I haven't got to play much with them so far, but what I have done while setting pickup heights, has shown me that these are incredibly articulate. The Black Heaven is very dynamic while still retaining clarity and tightness. The M7 is really, really tight and incredibly articulate. I know I am in the honeymoon phase, but what I am hearing now is exactly what I was looking for. I am beyond ecstatic to have these in this guitar! I am not sure that I can say they are better than the EMG 57-7/66-7 set I have in my E-II Horizon FR-7, but they are definitely quite impressive.

This was quite a fun little project to do! Not only did the guitar get a new set of amazing pickups, but while the strings were I off I took the time to round all the fret ends and put a slight radius on the shoulder of the fret board. The way the frets were cut didn't feel very comfortable on my hands (especially coming away from my E-II guitars); so now I have a very comfortable feeling guitar to play, along with a sonically pleasing response.

Cole

2. rgk7

rgk7 SS.org Regular

Love the M7. There is an old "paper" one in my 1077xl with a Blaze bridge custom in the neck and I installed a set of M7s into a RGD7 LACS which is mahogany = killer

buck fever likes this.
  3. Cole Justesen

I initially wanted an M7 set, but the more I read about the Black Heaven, I thought the combination would suit my playing style better. Now that said, I still really want to try the M7 neck. As well, I would like to try the Black Heaven 7 bridge too.

My RG is a special run, but it also uses mahogany for the body with the quilted maple top. I think that both sound incredible.

Cole

4. Passtheapathy

Passtheapathy SS.org Regular

Glad you like it so far, they look great in the guitar too! Curious to hear your thoughts after some more time with them. I have a set of M6s in my Aristides and they’re awesome. Those and Aftermaths are my favorite pickups I’ve tried for metal so far.

5. Cole Justesen

Just before I bought the Lundgren set, I was checking out what BKP had. I was tempted to try the Painkillers, as they sounded most similar to Lundgren set that I could hear in demos. If it weren't for the DiMarzio routed body of my guitar, I would not have been on the fence with the Lundgren pickups in the first place. Fortunately, I had a work around.

Cole

6. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

Not trying to ignore the pickups but my gosh that is a gorgeous guitar!

Adieu likes this.
  7. Cole Justesen

Yeah it is quite a nice looking guitar. Once I saw it, I new I needed to own it lol. I am not a maple fretboard guy, most of the time, but this design is nicely done. It originally came with cosmo black hardware, which I thought looked off. So I swapped hardware to black. I like the black better than the OEM color.

Cole

8. stretcher7

stretcher7 SS.org Regular

I was thinking the bridge was different! You swapped it out, looks fantastic!

9. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

I'm such a goof that now whenever i see the Hipshot High Mass Bridge I think Merrow Sig and not Ibanez who invented it and uses it on everything.

I like the blue finish on that RG a lot.

10. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Glad to hear you got some pickups that are exactly what you were looking for!

Wow that Ibanez is hot, to the max!

11. Cole Justesen

I did swap it. I actually really liked the OEM bridge, just hated the color. I did just find a source for the Gilbraltar II in black, so I ordered it. I will be pulling the Hipshot bridge and putting a black Gilbraltar II 7 string bridge on it.

The blue is very nice! It very much looks like a tropical ocean next to a sandy beach.

There are only a few Ibanez guitars throughout the past few years that I have gotten excited about. This happens to be one of them. So much so, that I knew I needed to buy it. The pickups still sound fantastic on day 2, and I hope that the love continues.

Cole

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

That's a nice one. I'm really tempted of buying a pair of cheapo Ibanez pups just to get the baseplates since I'm having the same problem.

Bear in mind that the pickups lose some of the spank when going from nickel silver to fiberglass baseplates but I guess it's a small compromise to get the Lundgrens in (which are pretty bright to begin with).

Yep, I'm definetely stealing your idea! My guitar even has the same woods as yours. Thanks! :D

Cole Justesen likes this.
  13. Cole Justesen

One thing I thought about doing was taking the original base plates and straightening the legs, then cut them to size so they could fit the guitar routing. The other option is to completely cut the legs off, file them flush to the base plate and mount that between the bobbins and the DiMarzio base plate. I might have lost some spank, but to be honest I couldn't imagine anymore from the pickup set. They are quite spanky, however I didn't hear how they sounded before the swap.

Cole

14. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I considered all of those things as well, but seriously, your idea is so much better. I just wish somebody would sell the flat baseplates that BKP uses, but this will do the trick.

For the record, Lundgren sells the M7C which is an EMG style M7. The housing is 2mm thick, thus 2mm further from the strings than the uncovered ones. That affects the tone way more than the baseplates, so no worries!

15. Cole Justesen

I am with you there! Obviously somebody has to be fabricating these types of base plates, we just need them to sell them directly. I was considering BKP for that exact reason, but I really had no idea of which (except maybe the Painkiller). I also saw that Tesla pickups use those kind of base plates on a few of their 7 string pickups.

I thought that swapping base plates was a good alternative than modifying base plates or guitar routes, so I wanted to share that with anyone else stuck in the same position. So I am glad that you found it helpful.

Cole

Emperoff likes this.