New Pickup Dilema

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by fortisursus, Dec 1, 2011.

1. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

So I currently have a jackson sl2h(maple neck through w/ alder wings) with a JB in the bridge and 59 in the neck. I also play through a peavey 6505+head into a mesa recto 2X12 cab. The JB in particular just isn't floating my boat. It just sounds a bit thin to me, and lacks some of the bass response. I've been wanting to get a pare of Bare Knuckle pickups for awhile, and think I'm finally going to give in.

Straight to the point, I'm looking for a pickup that has some more tight bass response. The painkillers have caught my attention given their clarity & punchy quality, but would they be too bright in an alder? I typically stick to standard tuning with a playing style a bit akin to Sylosis.

Thanks, any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
    And this is my first time posting to sevenstring!

2. Inazone

Inazone SS.org Regular

As a Jackson player for the past 14+ years, I share your frustration with the JBs they're so fond of installing, and use a pretty similar rig to yours. I have pretty much stuck with the readily available Duncan and DiMarzio pickups, so I can't offer an opinion on the BKs, but I can tell you what has worked for me. The absolute tightest low end I've found is the SD Full Shred, which I've used in alder, ash and basswood Jacksons. It doesn't have a lot of low end, but what it does have is great for metal - very clear for leads and punchy for riffing. The Alternative 8 is a bit more balanced across all frequencies than the Full Shred, with a bit more lows and mids but not at all muddy or thin like a JB.

3. FadexToxBlack81

FadexToxBlack81 Mike DeMaria

long story short, I have a Jackson Ke2 with maple neck through and aldar wings and all of my research lead to me to pick the BKP Miracle Man set. They sound fucking HUGE. I will be uploading a clip shortly so Ill send you the link so you can check it out here!

4. fortisursus

fortisursus SS.org Regular

From what i described Nick at The Axe Palace recommended the ceramic warpig. What I have conjured up across the internet seems to tell me that the warpig sounds pretty tight and clear. I just can't get over how clear the chords ring through all of the distortion.
    Particularly this video around 4:59. The way that chord rings out, it is so orgasmic!

Well lets see if i can become completely confused again about which pickup suits me by the time my guitar end on ebay.