New Old Ibby Purchase

Thesius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Always wanted one of the older Ibanez models with a piezo bridge and this popped up on Yahoo Auctions about a week ago. Haven't received it in the mail yet so these are the only pictures I have currently. The tremolo bar looks like some of the coating has come off and there is a small ding on the side of the guitar but overall it looks like it's in fine shape. I've never really been too fond of pickup rings so I've never really fell in love with S models but they don't look too bad on this guitar I think. Haven't decided what pickups I'm gonna toss in here yet. Maybe a crunch lab and a PAF.

Attachments

• 2020x.jpg
    2020x.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 2020xx.jpg
    2020xx.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 29
Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
Awesome!, those are super cool. I wanted that exact model, but got the S2120X instead (https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/late-ngd-ibanez-s2120x-av.347874/), we can't argue with what's available nearby. If you have any question regarding the functionality of the controls and jacks (besides the pickup selector, obviously), ask away.

As for the rings, allow me to suggest you the Seymour Duncan Tripleshot rings (get the flat top ones for these guitars and install them with the switches at the treble strings, not at the bass strings as Seymour suggests. Along with the 5 way superswitch and the piezos, my S2120X now debuts 113 different piezo/mag combinations...

Do check if the piezo/mag switch is a 3 way, if so, the guitar has been previously modded, if not, DO IT with an ON/ON/ON switch.

As far as pickups, I've installed medium/high Alnico5 loaded pickups (custom wound) and they rock awesomely... but that is also related to my rig...

Nevertheless, may she arrives is perfect condition and that she may reborn under your fingers for years to come.

Thesius

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Awesome!, those are super cool. I wanted that exact model, but got the S2120X instead (https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/late-ngd-ibanez-s2120x-av.347874/), we can't argue with what's available nearby. If you have any question regarding the functionality of the controls and jacks (besides the pickup selector, obviously), ask away.

As for the rings, allow me to suggest you the Seymour Duncan Tripleshot rings (get the flat top ones for these guitars and install them with the switches at the treble strings, not at the bass strings as Seymour suggests. Along with the 5 way superswitch and the piezos, my S2120X now debuts 113 different piezo/mag combinations...

Do check if the piezo/mag switch is a 3 way, if so, the guitar has been previously modded, if not, DO IT with an ON/ON/ON switch.

As far as pickups, I've installed medium/high Alnico5 loaded pickups (custom wound) and they rock awesomely... but that is also related to my rig...

Nevertheless, may she arrives is perfect condition and that she may reborn under your fingers for years to come.
2120X is just as cool as the 2020X! I'll check out the Tripleshot rings. The description had said it was stock. I'll be doing the KJG mod on it when I get it in.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
2120X is just as cool as the 2020X! I'll check out the Tripleshot rings. The description had said it was stock. I'll be doing the KJG mod on it when I get it in.
Yeah, the S2120X are very similar to the S2020X, but they have a different preamp (no push/push button) as you can read on the linked NGD I posted before. I like the guitar a lot, don't get me wrong, but I can't say I wouldn't prefer the S2020X... so congrats to you!

When doing the KJG mod, take notice of how the DPDT ON/ON/ON switch works, you may have to mirror the contacts. Also, when mixing mags and piezos with the main jack, set the piezo "volume" (it works as a blend in the mix situation and with the push/push pushed inward) to minimum or you'll start to hear out-of-phase sounds in alternating strings... assuming that the piezos have their wires in alternate colors per string as did all RG2027XVVs (which feature the exact same circuit and preamp).

Feel free to ring a bell if in need...