New Metallica: Lux Æterna

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I think social media has ushered in a trend of over-polarization. You have to either really like something or really dislike it. Strong opinions are in. You have to pick a side. Either it's great and it's just like KEA or it's shit. Things can't be just okay anymore.
My favorite part of this is the scolding you get if you don't land on one of the poles.

I'm kinda meh about it and here's why.
Pole positive: FUCK YOU YOU ASSHOLE! PEOPLE LIKE IT YOU SHOULD SHUT UP!
Pole negative: FUCK YOU YOU APOLOGIST! PEOPLE HATE IT AND YOU SHOULD SHUT UP!

Gee, I wonder why we're all at each other's throats all the time now?

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Or I had some time to kill and still enjoy deep-diving into Metallica rants.

I'm just baffled by the general positive reception, the comparisons to the old Metallica, the "this really sounds more like them then they've sounded since $album" comments. None of it registers as true to somebody that actually grew up listening to them as they were developing their sound.
Ok

DC23

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say the worst thing about this whole announcement seems to be the realization that if I want to see Metallica live anymore I pretty much have to transition to a more lucrative career. I checked out the ticket prices for the nearest venue and although I realize the ticket cost was for two shows, I still think almost $200 is pretty steep for a seat that would trigger my fear of heights. Also something irks me about being forced to buy tickets for two shows if I want to 'guarantee' being able to see them for one show.

Mboogie7

Lefty's unite!
Reaction score
I don't hate it and actually kind of dig it, minus Kirk's solo. A few thoughts though that immediately pop out at me are:
1. Lars cannot play that live, no way.
2. It reminds me of KEM Metallica (mainly James). Not that production/tone/lyrics, but just the vibe he is playing with, which I think is noticeable, but YMMV.
3. Kirk, I love you man. You were a HUGE influence for me when I first started playing and dove into the usual suspects of MoP, AJFA, RTL, and even some Load/Reload stuff, but fuck man. If you're gonna solo, please at least try and write one that isn't ass. I mean, yeah, you're the lead guitarist in the biggest Metal band ever and have a lot to ride on, but that ride ended a few records back in my opinion.
4. Very curious to hear the rest of the record. I wouldn't mind seeing James try to channel some MoP or ANJF type riffs here and there.

Turd Ferguson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I grew up with Metallica's music in the 80s. The first few albums blew my mind. Kill em All is one of the main reasons I started playing guitar, and some of the first riffs I ever learned. I still play them. I think AJFA is a masterpiece.

So it pains me to say this, but...

fvxk4sjz98381.jpg

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Got our tickets last night for the Gillette show, they were about $380 a piece which includes both nights and the Ticketmaster fees, which were $80. $150 a night isn’t a bad price and our seats certainly don’t suck. I sat in almost the same area at a Pats game and it’s really the perfect view of the field.

A30E774E-FFA6-400D-9514-CD0C46D49C33.jpeg

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Got our tickets last night for the Gillette show, they were about $380 a piece which includes both nights and the Ticketmaster fees, which were $80. $150 a night isn’t a bad price and our seats certainly don’t suck. I sat in almost the same area at a Pats game and it’s really the perfect view of the field.

View attachment 117723
That's awesome! Saw them back in 1991. Was kickass. I am really digging their new tune. :hbang:

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That's awesome! Saw them back in 1991. Was kickass. I am really digging their new tune. :hbang:

Man, I would have LOVED to have seen them back then! First saw them in ‘08, then twice in the same weekend last year at Rockville. Kinda cool that I’ll have seen them 5x and 4 of those shows were occurring in the same weekends.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd say the worst thing about this whole announcement seems to be the realization that if I want to see Metallica live anymore I pretty much have to transition to a more lucrative career. I checked out the ticket prices for the nearest venue and although I realize the ticket cost was for two shows, I still think almost $200 is pretty steep for a seat that would trigger my fear of heights. Also something irks me about being forced to buy tickets for two shows if I want to 'guarantee' being able to see them for one show.
I am with you on this. The first thing I saw were all the experience packages and couldn't understand who pays these sums to get closer to a bunch of dudes. I would be very interested in seeing the statistics on sales and demographics. Especially international comparisons.

150 dollars for the backseat in a medium sized venue like a theater is high but at least you hear and see something. For a stadium and a plastic seat crushed behind a column/pilar depending on the venue... I can't justify that. Or around a 100 for the cheap general admission.

I get that things get more expensive over time but comparing shows her with Europe the prices were comparatively always highe. Not going to compare the feel of the shows because that might be totally subjective but can't say I've enjoyed the vibe at metal shows as much. Totally different story for rock, blues and other genres which have no comparison in Europe but are definitely my preference here in the US.

I haven't gone to a metal show since behemoth pre pandemic and I don't feel the need to. Honestly. I'd rather put the money towards another experience. You can go on a weekend trip for 150 dollars if you plan it right. I'd rather do that.

Love this band but never caught the live. I don't see that happening anytime soon. Unless I catch them on a festival overseas and who knows when stars will align for that. I am not 20 anymore. Which begs the question again... who goes to these shows?

I remember my wife insisting in seeing GnR. Between tickets, Air BnB, merchandise, food and travel that show is still the most expensive I have paid. For one band, especially considering Lenny Kravitz played but nobody gave a shit so it was hard to tell the music from the people playing YouTube videos on their phones and talking over the music to each other. And that's not uncommon of any show here by the way. People show up for the headliner and spend the rest of the show bumming around. This makes no sense to me. It's like they're not there for the music.

(some generalizations here I am sure so take this with a grain of salt. No offense meant.)

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
2. It reminds me of KEM Metallica (mainly James). Not that production/tone/lyrics, but just the vibe he is playing with, which I think is noticeable, but YMMV.

It also reminds me of Kill em All and early Metallica because I'm pretty sure that's the same drum (whatever a riff on drums is called), as Overkill,and I can totally see early Metallica ripping off Motorhead.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
You’re not wrong though. Look at Megadeth. Same age writing thrash and modern style stuff til this day. Great songs come from Dave even in his 60’s.
I'm glad you wrote this because I didn't even know that Megadeth had a new album and I just listened to it and literally every track shits all over this new Metallica.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm glad you wrote this because I didn't even know that Megadeth had a new album and I just listened to it and literally every track shits all over this new Metallica.
Eh, I don't know. 6 years to release The Sick... is pretty disappointing. The album is very middle of the road and boring. Dystopia is better. That said, I'm not sure what good it does to compare Megadeth and Metallica anymore. I think Metallica is just having fun at this point.

M.U.Y.A.

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Eh, I don't know. 6 years to release The Sick... is pretty disappointing. The album is very middle of the road and boring. Dystopia is better. That said, I'm not sure what good it does to compare Megadeth and Metallica anymore. I think Metallica is just having fun at this point.
I love both bands. I don’t compare them like that really. I only brought up megadeth cause I was pointing out that Metallica has gone so far away from their roots and I just want one more thrash metal Metallica album.

The sick dying and dead has some songs that are a little lack luster but still good. Also, it didn’t really take six years to make the songs of the album. It took so long because of all the obstacles. Tours, cancer, Covid, so everything has been on pause.

Dystopia is definitely better but the new album is great. This new Metallica song is good, but not what I want from them.

Last edited:

KentBrockman

Bite back with Kent Brockman!
Reaction score
I listened to it and I just couldn't get into it. It definitely sounds like their early stuff which a lot of people really like, but it's not for me. It's more Kill 'Em All style but I prefer Master of Puppets (and Death Magnetic).

Heretick

Nunc Stans Soldier
Reaction score
The riff and whole vibe of the song honestly just sorta reminds me of Megadeth's High Speed Dirt. Which, despite the fact that I liked that song back when I was a teenager and still into Megadeth, I wouldn't exactly qualify that as a compliment.
And I've been out of the Metallica game far longer than even Megadeth, but Jesus, I don't remember Kirk being THAT bad. Holy shit. I recall never really being a fan of his solos, but that's bar-none one of the worst things I've heard in recent memory. Christ.

bloodocean

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The riff and whole vibe of the song honestly just sorta reminds me of Megadeth's High Speed Dirt. Which, despite the fact that I liked that song back when I was a teenager and still into Megadeth, I wouldn't exactly qualify that as a compliment.
Sounds like 1320’ from the Endgame album to me, but on easy mode.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which is why I asked to have it explained to me. I'd like to "get" it, and I don't.
It's clear to everyone that you have no interest in "getting it". You want people to say you're right, everyone else is wrong and that your opinion is the better, most informed of anyones.