New Metallica: Lux Æterna

electriceye

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You’re not wrong though. Look at Megadeth. Same age writing thrash and modern style stuff til this day. Great songs come from Dave even in his 60’s.
"The Sick, the Dying and the Dead" is my pick for album of the year, even with a couple of throwaway songs. Some absolute masterpieces on there. It's tied with Machine Head.

electriceye

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not bad.
They announced an album and a tour, which I'll skip since it's in huge stadiums and I'm done with stadium shows.
Glad I'm not the only one. I fucking HATE stadium concerts, more so when the only option is the trash heap of the Meadowlands in NJ. It's no longer worth my time, money and aggravation. And goes double for this tour of double shows, which I really WOULD love to experience. I'm sure the nosebleed seats will be at least $400.... :rant:

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
OK, here's my issue. So many people saying, "This sounds like Metallica." How does this sound like Metallica?

Has it been so long you forgot? It sounds like Metallica on downers, after listening to way too much Priest and Motorhead, while still not quite getting the essence of what they laid down. There's no viciousness. No gut-punch. No, "HOLY FUCK!" Shit.

Or have we dumbed down our senses so much that this seeping fart is considered a gut-punch now? I suppose that would match the rest of our lowered standards when it comes to entertainment.

1988 me: METALLICA!
2022 me: Meh teh ick ah.

nightflameauto

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
then there's this :

Kirkster's always been a little out-there with the apologetics. I had a Christian metal mag when I was a kid with him interviewed and he was apologizing for how crass their lyrics were. Like, really? Metallica lyrics are crass? Jump in the Fire being the one and ONLY song that got mentioned in the interview. It's silly, sure. But crass? Only to Christians. And even at that time, when I was a half-questioning Christian I was like, "Wait. What?"

I'm not gonna bother reading it, but if this is about the music? Nah. Het identifies as a fucking table, for fuck sake. Talk about woke.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Kirkster's always been a little out-there with the apologetics. I had a Christian metal mag when I was a kid with him interviewed and he was apologizing for how crass their lyrics were. Like, really? Metallica lyrics are crass? Jump in the Fire being the one and ONLY song that got mentioned in the interview. It's silly, sure. But crass? Only to Christians. And even at that time, when I was a half-questioning Christian I was like, "Wait. What?"

I'm not gonna bother reading it, but if this is about the music? Nah. Het identifies as a fucking table, for fuck sake. Talk about woke.
A lot of Christian people I know were offended by "The God That Failed"

ConnorK

8 String Slinger
Reaction score
I think "wait for it... wait for it... oh, it's done" pretty much sums it up. At least Hardwired has some moments here and there where songs would break down and some moments here and there of good old thrash.
Kind of summed up what I thought. The best part of metallica's older stuff, to me, was the fact that they kind of set up metal sounds for everyone else and did some relatively new and unique things in thrash. This song sounds like they kept the same type of drum, guitar and bass playing and very metallica-y sounding riffs that they are used to, but tried to twist them into a more modern metal sound than what they usually would. I was waiting for them to start some "good old thrash" the entire time, but frankly never got that feeling. Also generally disliked the singing as it was pretty meh rock vocal work and not at all what I view as metal vocal work (but maybe power metal lol), with pretty uninspired lyrics and the most bizarre "rhyming" I have heard in a bit.

It also sounds like the skim milk of production. Guitars and drums watered down with no unique sonic space being occupied by anything, nothing standing out to me although they don't complement each other.

Grand Moff Tim

Some call me... Tim
Reaction score
my first impression was that it sounded like what you'd get if you tasked a random guitar-youtuber to make a discount Metallica-sound-alike song in one day.

Yes. It's almost weird to see so many people here talking about liking the "KEA vibes." I suppose I could see the connection, in a "Pay an amateur on Fiver $20 to write you a new KEA track" sort of way. Otherwise... nah.

The aggression feels fake. The arrangement isn't interesting. The riffs feel phoned-in. If all that wasn't enough, the Nu-James vocals ruin any attempt at a KEA vibe completely. KEA was A N G E R Y. This new track is not.

ALL THAT SAID...

I still love Metallica. I am literally incapable of picking up a guitar and not playing a Metallica riff. There isn't a single guitarist out there who has had a bigger influence on me than James. I don't at all begrudge them for not being able to recapture whatever "magic" I feel from their older material. I can still listen to the older stuff if I want to, and I can be pumped for the fans who are digging the new stuff.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I like the raw Garage Days album by the way.
Same! I was surprised to see it's not a universally loved album. I absolutely loved that when I first got it, and still do. For me, my favorites are the KEA, RTL, MOP, AJFA and Garage Days. When the black album came out, I remember everyone loving it, and I felt like the only one on the planet that didn't. I basically lost interest in them after that.

Dooky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what they are hearing in this that makes them think it's good? Any other band putting this out would get roasted into oblivion. Because it's Papa Het & the Gang we're supposed to worship it?

Literally the whole song I'm thinking, "Wait for it. Wait for it. Wait for it." And then it's over. There's nothing there that grabs me, and nothing stand-out at all.

Is this a "they get a pass because" thing? I've been hard on Metallica in the past, but am much less inclined to do so today, but I still expect some sort of tingle in the dingle if ya know what I'm sayin', and this makes me feel like I'm watching toddlers play at football or something. No thrill, no danger, just formula and a tiny touch of cringe in the lyrics.

You know, that last paragraph may help us understand where these bands / people are at now. They may or may not still have whatever *it* thing that drew us back in the day, but they think they can pull the same numbers as the big nostalgia stadium rockers are pulling, and they need to put out some milquetoast, "This is totally what you imagined we were" tunes to get the people that could afford to go to actually stay in the place once the band starts playing.

More power to 'em. Though teenage me is going to be crying in a corner over it, I'm too busy trying to face life now to worry about my favorite "FUCK EVERYBODY" guys in my teens turning into "meh, ok, let's do some stuff" today. They've certainly earned the right to write whatever they want. If people dig, cool.

I'm just not one of them. I guess.

Then again, I gave up on Metallica with Load. Anything they do worth even the slightest listen now is just nostalgia balm.

OK, here's my issue. So many people saying, "This sounds like Metallica." How does this sound like Metallica?

Has it been so long you forgot? It sounds like Metallica on downers, after listening to way too much Priest and Motorhead, while still not quite getting the essence of what they laid down. There's no viciousness. No gut-punch. No, "HOLY FUCK!" Shit.

Or have we dumbed down our senses so much that this seeping fart is considered a gut-punch now? I suppose that would match the rest of our lowered standards when it comes to entertainment.

1988 me: METALLICA!
2022 me: Meh teh ick ah.
You over think things way too much.

Last edited:

Lemonbaby

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mashup of Kill Em All and Judas Priest. Without the Rob Halford shrieking...

.... YEEAAHEEAAHEEAAA!!!

Riffer

Reaction score
Glad I'm not the only one. I fucking HATE stadium concerts, more so when the only option is the trash heap of the Meadowlands in NJ. It's no longer worth my time, money and aggravation. And goes double for this tour of double shows, which I really WOULD love to experience. I'm sure the nosebleed seats will be at least $400.... :rant:

I looked at tickets and the only thing you can see prices on are the "Enhanced Experience" packages through the Metallica website. Right now they are not allowing single day ticket sales. Those will go on sale in January. So currently you will only be able to buy the 2 day tickets. Not sure about the going price for a regular 2 day ticket but the cheapest Enhanced Experience package is around $414-$598 (price varies by market) but it includes 2 tickets (1 to each show) and you get early access to general admission so you can get up close to the stage. You also get 1 limited edition Metallica merch item, 1 complimentary drink, priority merch shopping prior to door opening, fast track lane into the venue and priority check in with a dedicated support staff. I mean if you do the math it's not a bad deal for a fan of the band. You're seeing Metallica twice and hearing 2 completely different sets and also seeing Pantera (a tribute to Pantera really), Wolfgang Van Halen, Five Finger Death Punch, and Ice Nine Kills. I'm not really into FFDP or I9K but that's still a bargain. Not to mention the perks of getting early access and the merch item. There are other packages that give you a seat in the lower section of the bowl at the stadium if you don't want GA tickets and there's really expensive packages with meet and greets, tours of the stage by the crew, lounge access with complimentary snacks/drinks, and signed setlist etc.

I saw Metallica in 2018 in Philly and bought a VIP package. It was around $250 and I got GA tickets and early access into the arena. They gave me a tour poster that was specific to the Philly show, Metallica picks with Philly centric art on them, a box with a Metallica pin and Metallica key chain, and they had a table where the VIP people walked in with every DVD they've made and we were aloud to take as many as we wanted. It was probably the best concert experience I've ever had. Super easy and the early access allowed me to get right up on the rail before the rush of normal GA came in. I thought it was money well spent for what I got.
IMG_2218.JPG