New Metal Music Thread

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
About as filthy as it gets:)

i tried to listen to this yesterday. some of the comments were funny AF. "they literally were just like release it". or the one about the bass being recorded in a well.

i dunno, not my cup of tea i guess. the bass is pretty weak imo and when its only bass and drums thats kinda crucial lol. had potential with a better studio engineer maybe or maybe that was just what they were going for which is fine bc everyone doesnt have to love everything.

this on the other hand gets me going, from the same label:

Winspear

Tom Winspear
Reaction score

Extremely excited to hear microtonal metal that exactly fits my style preferences these days. Opens with 6 minutes of hammering away at the harmonic series on B. Very stoked for this record!

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score

I don't know if it's just the good mood I happen to be in that's doing it, but I kinda like this one!

^ and these guys just keep going deeper into the groove metal hole. At least they haven't lost their energy yet.

KailM

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For real. I just got around to spinning Hallucinogen a few weeks ago. Good on 'em.
Vindsval also released an album last year under the name Forhist, but it is essentially Blut Aus Nord. It is more traditional black metal like the Memoria Vetusta albums, but more primitive—kinda like the first Ulver albums only much better production. The guy has been releasing amazing albums almost one a year since the mid 90s. \m/

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
New Evergrey album out today, I didn’t even know. Dig this one though

Alex79

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I don't know if it's just the good mood I happen to be in that's doing it, but I kinda like this one!

^ and these guys just keep going deeper into the groove metal hole. At least they haven't lost their energy yet.

I also liked the last two songs very much. The first two new songs - Deceiver and House of Mirrors - are solid but nothing amazing. Handshake and this one definitely raise interest.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not exactly brutal, but you gotta admit it's pretty damned catchy:

It probably shouldn't bother me but...

Pirate metal used to be fucking cool when Running Wild did it. And now it's being turned into some kind of bubblegum pop?

Sigh...

Chanson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Pirate metal used to be fucking cool when Running Wild did it. And now it's being turned into some kind of bubblegum pop?

Sigh...

Alestorm is for the same crowd that thinks Amon Amarth is Viking Metal.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score

Sigh...

They also still do the proper pirate metal songs though, the previous single sounded like it could've been on their first album. Also apparently their next album is supposed to be more "serious" in general.

Not that I'd care, I kinda like this song anyway :lol: And my 6 yo daughter loves it.

Also, there are many "serious" pirate metal bands, but IMO all of them fail in the vocal department which is a very important point...

Last edited: