New Mesa Amp: Triple Crown TC-50

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by protest, Nov 27, 2016.

1. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Sounds like the .50 Caliber Plus I have. That thing is crazy loud for it's size. :lol: CoC never had any problem mixing that and a Dual Rectifier together.

2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Actually sounds like it might work pretty well for CoC/Down type stuff.

3. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I think that might be the first time they've done two preamp tubes for the clean channel only. They'be done two separate V1's before, but I don't know of two separate V1's and V2's.

5. drgordonfreeman

drgordonfreeman On vacation

I was just thinking this. I'd love to compare it to the beast that is the JVM.

Thanks, technomancer. I've always wondered this myself.

6. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

Yeah, that's an unusual layout and caught my attention when I saw it, too.

7. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

Just got mine in the post this morning. Going to do an extensive review of this amp through Mics (ribbon/57 combo) with the two notes Torpedo studio on 6/7/8 string guitars in clean/Rock/metal/lead sounds with and without pedals.

[​IMG]

8. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

Report back soon!

9. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Made some quick moves and just placed my order with my Sweetwater Rep for the standard head version. Should ship out tomorrow, can't wait to try this thing out!

10. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Looking forward to hearing how this works out for your! Great looking rack setup!

As I said on another forum, the one thing I really like about Mesa is that they announce a product and they quickly have supply of it available for sale. No waiting list or hype BS like a few other well-known companies regularly partake in.

Hope this works out well!

11. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

[​IMG]

Quick first impressions after an hour with it today. Channel 3 is a beast... Sounds like my Single Rectifier and Mark V had a baby. Didn't feel like I needed to boost it with an OD at all. Still has really good note definition even with a lot of gain. Channel 2 also has a good amount of gain, seems pretty versatile overall though. Like a darker voiced modded Marshall thing going on. Channel 1 has nice cleans, not as nice as my Mark V, but still good. The switch can add a good amount of dirt too, which is kind of cool. Overall it definitely has its own sound compared to the Rectifier and Mark lines, which is good because now I don't feel bad about having all 3. :lol:

12. FifthCircleSquared

FifthCircleSquared Threadender

The biggest question I have is how does it feel to play? I like a squishier compressedish feeling on the high strings (ala marshallish). I love my Rectoverb but on some settings it can feel really stiff. Been looking at the TC-50 as an alternative for that.

13. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

Nice! Are you still rolling with the EL34s? How much low-end does the amp have (i.e. can it punch you in the gut like a recto)? Can this be used as an all-out metal amp?

14. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Getting very jealousy there :bowdown:

I'm saving for Mark V but am kinda torn between that and the TC now. At least I have my Mesa Mini so it is not completely a Mesa-free existence.

15. RustInPeace

RustInPeace SS.org Regular

Really taking a long look at this. I need a versatile amp for the punk band I play in.

16. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I think I know what you mean. I'd say it is a more liquidy feel, like the Mark. The feel is very dependent on whether you have the drive/tight switch engaged or not.

Yup, still got EL34's, I do have a set of Mesa 6L6s that I may swap at some point to just to try it out. Yes, it has plenty of low end, though it is a more tight and controlled low end compared to the recto, at least with tight switch engaged. Which again changes the feel of the amp. The Lo channel has 3 gain stages and full maxed out has enough to handle most metal needs. Hi channel has 4 gain stages and gets crazy saturated, more than enough.

Mesa's have taken over my guitar room. I don't think you would be disappointed by either. The Mark V is the ultimate in verstaility, I think. It can be intimidating though, because there are so many options on each channel to choose from and you need to understand the importance of how each interacts with the other. Though the TC also seems to be pretty versatile from what I have experienced so far. I mean the clean channel with drive engaged actually gets pretty crunchy. You are really getting 2 voicings per channel with the switching. That and the gain staging that is actually usable, unlike say my 5153 on the red channel, which is pretty much is useless after being turned a quarter of the way up.

17. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

The Rackmount option of TC-50 might sway me that way although the Mark V might also have it?

18. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Not that I have ever seen. The panel is too wide to fit the rackmount chasis kits they use.

19. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Mark V does not, however the Mark V 35 and JP-2C do.

20. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Non metal demo.