New Mastodon Album and Single - "Hushed and Grim" October 29th

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still digesting Hushed and Grim. There is a decent amount to take in, I could not give a proper opinion after two listens.

In other news, not a good look there from Brent. Dude is a bit of a wild card.
MASTODON Apologize For Brent Hinds' Use of Homophobic Language, Have "No Ill Will Towards DISTURBED" (metalinjection.net)

Yeah, Brent is an "interesting" dude. It's gotten better since he stopped drinking/doing as much drugs post getting beat the fuck up and getting sent to the hospital, but he's still pretty trashy.

Absolute legend of a player though.

Dwellingers

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Really like the new album! A bit more mellow and mature.

Brent say something and choses a "wrong" word for what he means? I ll go an stress over something important like rising of the tides, shortage of food and carbon emission.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I'm on my way home from the Boston show, not gonna lie, besides Gigantium these new songs live don't have the same energy as the rest of the set; which is a bummer cause they're doing some killer old stuff live (Bladecatcher, Megalodon).

They're not bad songs, but I think they need to change up the ones they picked even if a couple were singles.

Giest

Never a tune you can dance to.
Contributor
Reaction score
Well it's still better than the newest Devin Townsend album was. I have kind of stopped paying attention to Mastodon since Once More 'Round the Sun, but I loved everything up to and including Crack the Skye. This latest one is an improvement compositionally speaking, in my opinion at least. I only found it about a week ago and it took a minute to jive with me, but I think it's decent. Maybe if they started leaning more towards the Remission sound with their more evolved current dexterity they could put out something that would be especially remarkable and unique to compliment the rest of their catalog- as many of their other albums have done.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I caught them at Rockville Sunday night and they sounded fucking GREAT. I stayed back behind FOH because I had to haul ass from that stage to get to the Mudvayne set immediately after and I’ve never heard that band sound that good live. I saw some video shot from closer to the stage and it didn’t sound nearly as good as it was where I stood, it’s like the sound needed to open up a bit.

I was surprised to see a lot of people singing along with “Pushing The Tide” and “Teardrinker”. I don’t listen to any kind of radio, so I’m not sure what kind of push they’re getting on this album (or any previous one for that matter) but a good amount of the crowd knew those songs.

Really impressed with Brann’s live vocals. The last time I saw them was with AIC/Deftones on the Black Diamond Skye tour and then a year or so prior to that on the Crack The Skye tour, headlining. They’ve come a long way live.

neurosis

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love this band, although I couldn't get much into their last few records. But this one is so great. Must have caught me at the right time.

I still cannot understand a single thing Brent sings. Not one word. The way they distribute the vocals and the monster players they are makes up for it though... lol. Can't have it all.

DeathByButterslax

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I might be in the minority, but as good as he has gotten I am just not a fan of Branns vocals, I miss that blurriness that Hinds used to create all over their albums. Guitars sound amazing though

runbirdman

Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy
Reaction score
Just left the Nashville Zeal and Ardor/Mastodon/Opeth show. I've seen Mastodon 10+ times and they were terrible tonight. They have consistently had trouble with live mixes throughout their career but tonight was a new level of bad. Brann's crashes sounded like an ice pick and Brent's guitar levels were all over the place. In other news, Brent seems to have added a guitar to the arsenal. It was kind of hard to make out, but it looks like possibly ESP was on the headstock. He used it for about half the set.

Attachments

• Mastodon-LNSM-4.jpg
    Mastodon-LNSM-4.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 24

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just left the Nashville Zeal and Ardor/Mastodon/Opeth show. I've seen Mastodon 10+ times and they were terrible tonight. They have consistently had trouble with live mixes throughout their career but tonight was a new level of bad. Brann's crashes sounded like an ice pick and Brent's guitar levels were all over the place. In other news, Brent seems to have added a guitar to the arsenal. It was kind of hard to make out, but it looks like possibly ESP was on the headstock. He used it for about half the set.

37E36C8D-7616-4113-BAB7-60EA7D6796E8.jpeg

Looks like it's based on the Mosirite style First Act he had around Blood Mountain.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love the album more and more as time goes on. There’s not a song on it I don’t absolutely love, now that I’ve had time to really digest it. It’s AWESOME to put on an album that’s not over in 35 minutes!

The thing I love about it the most and obviously this is more of a personal connection to it, but the lyrical content followed by space in the music to let those lyrics really sit in with the mood of the music. They just nailed it out of the park with this one and I can definitely see how people who don’t really care about the lyrical content wouldn’t dig it as much.

Interesting watching the live videos I’ve seen from this tour; I love that they’ve stepped up their live production with the video screens and lasers. That compliments the music they write so damn well. Obviously, different phones are going to pick up audio differently, but anything I’ve seen close to the front of the stage hasn’t sounded as good as the stuff shot back around FOH, which echoes my experience at Rockville and watching videos of it after. I watched most of it from next to FOH and it was crystal clear, you could hear all the reverb on the vocals and they just sounded GREAT. But when I watched videos from closer to the stage, the vocals sounded dry as hell and the sound was congested.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh yeah, on the Jasta podcast that he had to take down, he asked Brent why he didn’t have a signature guitar yet. Brent was in a foul mood that entire podcast, but basically blew it off as “I’ve talked to the ESP guys, we were going to do something, I think they sent me a guitar before, I’ll have to check it out.” Something to that effect.

He doesn’t seem to really give a shit, but I thought it was funny that right after that podcast, he’s onstage with an ESP. While I’m not too keen on his, the SG-ish silverburst Bill has been using is fucking SWEET and I hate SG shapes. The body is big enough to make me dig it, with the carves and everything. Looks like a beast of a guitar.

And I also imagine working with Brent on endorsements isn’t easy. I just saw this clinic last night and while Brent was doing the comedian thing all night, that guy truly doesn’t give a fuck and says whatever comes to his mind. I was cringing for the dude from Orange while Brent was busting his/Orange’s balls.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Would have liked some more singing and songs from Brent, his moments really shine through.
Best of luck with that. Coming directly from the mouths of some of the band members, Brent doesn't want to contribute much anymore. He shows up late (if at all), has to take a beating to memorize his parts, and doesn't contribute any new writing. Bill has been writing all of the material recently, and you'll notice that Brann has stepped up and taken over much more of the vocal roles where Brent used to fill.

The guy just wants to retire on his laurels as a "rockstar" and not put in any further work. Just ride his loud-ass motorcycles and fire off his loud-ass guns to fuck with his neighbors.

Well, this is no surprise.

When you grow up with that kind of language being extremely common, it's pretty simple for something like that to slip out.

It's only in the last 5 - 10 years that most people have stopped using it casually, and I think a lot of people forget that. 90% of people who used it as a pejorative never meant any ill will towards the LGBT community it was just used as a synonym for lame.

Of course that doesn't mean it was right, but context matters here.
^ Nailed it.

And I also imagine working with Brent on endorsements isn’t easy. I just saw this clinic last night and while Brent was doing the comedian thing all night, that guy truly doesn’t give a fuck and says whatever comes to his mind. I was cringing for the dude from Orange while Brent was busting his/Orange’s balls.
Oh, it 100% isn't easy. I've heard it directly from the mouth of a handful of A&R guys at brands. Brent has acted wild at times, made totally bizarre requests (like asking for a fire/smoke-blowing amp with actual demon teeth), demanded non-exclusivity (okay?), and straight-up told A&R reps that he doesn't give a shit about their brand while also trash-talking their brand (like what happened with Orange).

There is much more to the situation with ESP than what Brent is saying in those screenshots a few pages back. Just like how there was more to the situation with Gibson than what Brent relayed publicly. And to be honest, majority of the blame for both situations lies on Brent's shoulders because in the case of ESP, the company absolutely was trying desperately to get in contact with Brent over the course of that silence. But it was during that time when Brent was really fucked up on drugs constantly, tripping acid, getting into conspiracies, acting erratic while hitting the local bars too hard, getting into knife-fights with family, etc.

It's all well and good to "not give a fuck", especially if you're an "out there" yet sort of "simple" fella like Brent. But when it comes down to it...you have to know "when" to give a fuck. Like when it matters, especially when it comes to business and professionalism. And Brent can't seem to grasp that.

ArtDecade

Cretin Hop
Reaction score
Brent isn't that good of a musician to absorb bad press. They might want to put him on a shorter leash or send him off to pasture.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Best of luck with that. Coming directly from the mouths of some of the band members, Brent doesn't want to contribute much anymore. He shows up late (if at all), has to take a beating to memorize his parts, and doesn't contribute any new writing. Bill has been writing all of the material recently, and you'll notice that Brann has stepped up and taken over much more of the vocal roles where Brent used to fill.

The guy just wants to retire on his laurels as a "rockstar" and not put in any further work. Just ride his loud-ass motorcycles and fire off his loud-ass guns to fuck with his neighbors.

Well, this is no surprise.

^ Nailed it.

Oh, it 100% isn't easy. I've heard it directly from the mouth of a handful of A&R guys at brands. Brent has acted wild at times, made totally bizarre requests (like asking for a fire/smoke-blowing amp with actual demon teeth), demanded non-exclusivity (okay?), and straight-up told A&R reps that he doesn't give a shit about their brand while also trash-talking their brand (like what happened with Orange).

There is much more to the situation with ESP than what Brent is saying in those screenshots a few pages back. Just like how there was more to the situation with Gibson than what Brent relayed publicly. And to be honest, majority of the blame for both situations lies on Brent's shoulders because in the case of ESP, the company absolutely was trying desperately to get in contact with Brent over the course of that silence. But it was during that time when Brent was really fucked up on drugs constantly, tripping acid, getting into conspiracies, acting erratic while hitting the local bars too hard, getting into knife-fights with family, etc.

It's all well and good to "not give a fuck", especially if you're an "out there" yet sort of "simple" fella like Brent. But when it comes down to it...you have to know "when" to give a fuck. Like when it matters, especially when it comes to business and professionalism. And Brent can't seem to grasp that.

I don’t think that dude is capable of doing anything but not giving a fuck. I’ve had a few like him in my family and it’s like they’re dead set on growing old and alone because people just can’t handle them, while refusing/being entirely incapable of changing their ways.

I’d imagine the success the band has experienced doesn’t help matters; it basically taught Brent he can continue doing whatever the hell he wants and it doesn’t seem to hold them back. Hell, Crack The Skye’s success came as a result of him being a maniac at the VMA’s and getting his clock cleaned.

I can understand the non-exclusivity stuff; both Bill and Brent use a bunch of different guitars and I’d hate to be locked into just one brand as well, even if they supplied me with any kind of make/model I wanted.

I got the idea that Brent’s contribution to the band was becoming a bit less. He recently said he’s the one that comes in after they’re done writing the core of the song and just does his thing over the top of them. Really, that’s probably a benefit to the band so they can just get to work and get shit done within a certain timeline without waiting on him. I was watching the doc for Blood Mountain last night and at one point the producer said, “It took me days to get you to want to do anything at all and now you don’t want to stop”, so I doubt this is a new thing.

That said, Brent’s playing is quite unique. You don’t really hear chicken pickin in metal music, or 70’s prog music. I love the leads the dude writes and while he’s been more miss than hit with his live vocals, he seems to actually stick to the solos on the record fairly well.

I know he had a sober period but he said recently, maybe it was that Jasta podcast, that he writes most of his leads after he goes in the studio and slams a few beers down, so I’m guessing that was short lived.

Really, none of it affects me negatively; I love their albums and don’t have to deal with him.

ArtDecade

Cretin Hop
Reaction score
Brent is not really chicken picking in the traditional sense. It is just some hybrid picking with open strings. It has more in common with Chet than, say, Don Rich. Also, when Chet did it, he is in the right key whereas Brent just does it wherever and gets dissonance.