New "Mastodon" (actually Brent Hind's solo) album coming next month

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Aug 17, 2017.

1. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

a lot of bands i like have been changing their sound up a lot lately and over the past decade.
    This was one of the first instances where I felt as though the change was a positive one. I'm personally going through a dark time in my own life so this EP resonated with me a lot.
    Cold Dark Place is literally the sound track to my recent divorce to include her taking my dogs.

2. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

a lot of bands i like have been changing their sound up a lot lately and over the past decade.
    This was one of the first instances where I felt as though the change was a positive one. I'm personally going through a dark time in my own life so this EP resonated with me a lot.
    Cold Dark Place is literally the sound track to my recent divorce to include her taking my dogs.

3. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

What a fucking cunt.

BangandBreach and BIG ND SWEATY like this.
  4. oompa

oompa Ze.. Contributor

This pretty much. I 'hope' every time I see their logo, triggering some Pavlovian love in my brain.. but imo they haven't created a decent album since CtS which was their black album (good, not great, showed a change of direction which you knew was the end). But I will try with their next release again, you have got to stay optimistic in case you are wrong, you never know! :D

5. Jamey36

Jamey36 SS.org Regular

I absolutely love "Toe to Toes",great f#$*#ng song.I was jamming to Mastodon radio today on Spotify in the truck.I never get the hate for bands when they evolve!(unless they devolve.Lol).Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder!On the other hand,"Show Your Self" is an truly horrible attempt at mainstream mediocrity.

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  6. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel \m/

I don't mind the song so much, but my brother started singing it as "Blow Yourself" and now I can't un-hear it that way. :lol:

BlackMastodon, fps and Jamey36 like this.
  7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Idk how much time you guys spend on the internet vs public places, but among people who primarily listen to mainstream music, Show Yourself, as poppy as Mastodon presents it, is still "screamo". It's "Metallica". This distinction that you draw is only noticable by... People who listen to "screamo"... Also, just as some personal observation from yours truly, after high school, people who listen to metal, irrespective of how mainstream, have more in common with you with regards to musical preference than like 99.9% of everyone alive on Earth.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Thy Fart is Murder

Emperor of sand just got nominated for a grammy. Sultan's curse is also up for best metal performance against Body count's black hoodie (lmao), meshuggah's clockwork, August Burns Red's Invisible enemy, and Code Orange's Forever.

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

So even though I like Emperor of Sand and Forever as albums more than I like The Violent Sleep of Reason, Clockworks as an individual track totally beats those other ones. Clockworks is the best recording Meshuggah has made since Bleed.