New LTD Models: 2022 edition

RevelGTR

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So what does the pickup on a bass pushed all the way toward the bridge sound like? I’m assuming it’s particularly trebly sounding. I know the popular metal tone these days is the Dingwall / DG sound (of which I’m a fan) so can I assume that a bridge humbucker in a bass would give that clanky bright metal tone? (I checked my basses - I don’t have anything that close to the bridge, so I have no reference for sound. Apart from recorded stuff, that is.)
I still stand by the idea that a bass with just a bridge pickup that close to the bridge is roughly equivalent to a guitar with just a neck pickup.

Max is correct that plenty of basses have a pickup in that position, and it sounds fantastic blended with the neck pickup to various degrees and by itself can be a really cool sound for funkier stuff, Isis style lead bass parts etc. But it’s not a sound I’d want to be stuck with as the only sound in bass, especially with no preamp or even passive tone control to shape it. It’s a one trick pony, and not a trick most people will find useful on the regular.

All this to say, it doesn’t make me mad, I’m not losing my shit etc, I just think it’s an odd choice and not something I’d recommend for someone looking for a good all around bass for metal or even rock.

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So what does the pickup on a bass pushed all the way toward the bridge sound like? I’m assuming it’s particularly trebly sounding. I know the popular metal tone these days is the Dingwall / DG sound (of which I’m a fan) so can I assume that a bridge humbucker in a bass would give that clanky bright metal tone?

Instead of explaining it, I'll just post a recording. :lol:

I prefer two pickups running 100%, but that's just me. I don't like how honky the bridge pickup can sound. Also why I can't stand Music Man basses.

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I pretty much only use the bridge pickup on my Ibanez SRX5 but that's probably because it sounds so dark and the brick pickups are so hot/aggressive that using the neck under distortion just sounds like fuzz with zero perceptible pitch. Bridge with a little bass cut, treble cranked, and then letting the Sansamp/HM2 do the low end work for me is a solid tone that sits in a mix great, but my bass is also a freak of nature.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's just a stripped down, basic bass to make some ugly music with. They make, and have made, plenty of Forest basses with all the typical bells and whistles. This isn't those basses. Which is sort of cool. :shrug:

xzacx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So many options available with the standard configurations, I appreciate something different even if I don't personally want it. This is like people complaining about a scale length being too short, when there are 700 longer examples available. Variety is a good thing.

Brayden Buckingham

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But it’s not a sound I’d want to be stuck with as the only sound in bass, especially with no preamp or even passive tone control to shape it.

Just wanted to add in my experience it could be personal preference with HOW it feels playing ; when I use a pick I'm playing extremely close to the neck , and sometimes I'll even hit the neck pickup if I'm playing a bit sloppy or over the top . Having just a bridge like in Music Man models or this particular one could also for that purpose ; seems like a majority of metal players use a pick , at least in the " core " side of things in my opinion so that's another factor

HeHasTheJazzHands

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just wanted to add in my experience it could be personal preference with HOW it feels playing ; when I use a pick I'm playing extremely close to the neck , and sometimes I'll even hit the neck pickup if I'm playing a bit sloppy or over the top . Having just a bridge like in Music Man models or this particular one could also for that purpose ; seems like a majority of metal players use a pick , at least in the " core " side of things in my opinion so that's another factor
Music Man pickups are placed in a spot where they can still retain low end. The other Black Metal basses have the pickup in that same spot. The F places the pickup even closer to the bridge. Honestly it looks even closer to the bridge than my Jazz I recorded that demo with, so I can imagine it being even more honky and thin.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Instead of explaining it, I'll just post a recording. :lol:

I prefer two pickups running 100%, but that's just me. I don't like how honky the bridge pickup can sound. Also why I can't stand Music Man basses.

Thanks for taking the time to do that. I can appreciate the uniqueness of this bass, and I don't even fault them for putting it super close to the bridge, but, for me, I'd prefer more variety of tones. I'm not even a single pickup guitar guy. I mean, they LOOK cool, but I love the option of other tones on board.

BusinessMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
esp-gary-holt-v-ii-custom-blood-splatter-xl.jpg
77075737_170354730732225_5909027820184968086_n.jpg
Just take my money esp. If it had a reverse headstock OMG

I'm still on the lookout for one of his schecter v models too.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Phase 2 is coming July 8th.
This is in ~90 minutes and I've been waiting for ages for it but just realised - this isn't a release of new guitars is it? This is just demoing the stuff released earlier this year.

Albake21

"Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."
Reaction score
This is in ~90 minutes and I've been waiting for ages for it but just realised - this isn't a release of new guitars is it? This is just demoing the stuff released earlier this year.
I thought this was new guitars too, but I think you're right, it's just demos with the already announced guitars. Bummer.

drb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I thought this was new guitars too, but I think you're right, it's just demos with the already announced guitars. Bummer.
I've put off buying an M-ii for months in case they announced something I preferred when I could have just literally read the article haha!

Zado

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yup, I haven't waited for ages tho, a couple of weeks max. But I was expecting new stuff as well. Not that they didn't deliver enough this year, but hurts nontheless ;(

Loomer

Comfortably Dumb
Reaction score

Then again, with all the supply issues ESP is having... probably a smart move.

Maybe the real Phase II is the supreme flex of showing that these guitars they announced actually exist in the physical realm, in at least one copy.