New John Mayer Paul Reed Strat signature?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Zado, Apr 10, 2017.

1. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

There were a lot of personnel and management changes at Fender during and after Mayer left, I wouldn't be surprised if his animus was directed at the newer company culture.

2. BouhZik

BouhZik SS.org Regular

or the opposite? the PRS is better in bed but asked her to put some make-up to look more like the prettier one :lol:

3. pfizer

pfizer SS.org Regular

First knew about Mayer from his pop stuff, but was quite impressed with his fingerstyle chops from "Neon" or "Heart of Life".

Guy's a pretty damn great player and it's great that he's a mainstream artist who happens to be an incredibly skilled guitar player.

I do remember reading that one of the reasons he left Fender was because they wanted him to use Fender amps onstage for his performances. Mayer didn't want to, since he'd been using Dumble amps for a while.

4. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Well, rich musicians become riche because they actually pay attention to those sorts of things. It's not just a single guitar endorsement matter but how he runs his business.
    And for reference, the only people I know who ever heard of him are all guitarists. Blues as a genre isn't really widespread in europe outside of the UK.

5. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

Agreed 100% on your first point, but in the US he is HUGE among women. I remember when he came on the scene back in 01 or so and he was seen as a college music type of guy. I'm not joking when I say that teenage girls up to soccer moms love this guy in the US.

6. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

He's currently touring arenas in the US, playing to 20k-25k people every night, and I'd imagine the crowd is ~5% guitarists. He's huge with the ladies here in the States.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

totally agree, Like I mention before, this was the kind of pop singer soft music guy that EVERY girl (non-metal girl) would love and listen to. Like the kind that I would jump into any of my friends car, or GF and they would have this guy on a CD/mp3/whatever. The kind of music that even the mens who dont listen to metal and love to play stupid acoustic songs "I dont know that one, but here is wonderwall" kinda stuff, would love this guy too. Because EVERY girl would be into it. If you wanted to hit on a girl, this is a secure ticket that would give you extra points if you knew/liked his music.

I had no idea who he was, I just knew he sang the kind of slow pop cry your heart music that I would roll my eyes off and everyone would always ask me if I knew/liked his stuff. I never knew there was an actual talent guitar stuff in it. Never pay attention so no idea if there was complex guitar stuff in it in the past. Knowing myself at that time I would prob wont pay attention to it either, these days I can tolerate that music better lol

And this was in a latin country, I assume was the same in every latin country and the USA too

8. Seventhwave

Seventhwave SS.org Regular

Assuming he was looking at it from a business perspective and paying attention, common sense would lead one to believe that voluntarily leaving Fender and going to PRS to create a limited edition $10,000 signature model wouldn't be the smartest business decision.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

The dude can afford $2,000,000 watches, I don't think he particularly cares about revenue from a guitar line.

The reverse headstock looks stupid but otherwise it's cool. I still regret not picking up one of the Brent Mason sigs when they were around.

10. extendedsolo

extendedsolo SS.org Regular

You can still find the Brent Mason sigs for less than 2k if you are patient.

11. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

The dude's worth is estimated at $40-50M. It doesn't mean $2M is meaningless to him -- it means his watch collection (at ~$10M) makes up a ludicrous amount of his spending money. It's almost as stupidly disproportionate as my guitars are to my own net worth.

So while I can agree that it might be a stretch to think he cares too much about a PRS endorsement / sig revenue, I don't know if it's off the table -- mostly because I don't know what those types of agreements usually pay out in. In 2012 PRS had a revenue of close to $50M, so perhaps not the huge payouts that Gibson/Fender would give to their absolute top artists.

12. Seventhwave

And are you sure that Gibson/Fender are paying huge pay outs to their top artists?

I think the point is, when you're talking "top artists", most of them are with the companies they're with because that's exactly where they WANT to be. Most would be using the products regardless of the endorsement agreement. Most don't have to ever worry about money. In which case, for an artist in that position that's still hungry and chasing something, choosing a company that's much more open to helping the artist achieve their vision is probably much more important than the one that only wants to slap your name on a Stratocaster and send you quarterly checks.

13. narad

As far as "the point is" -- I think the point is that what you're saying is just as baseless an assumption as my own ~ that still many top artists are motivated to be where they want to be due to financial compensation. Flat out, I've admitted I don't really know the stats regarding what these endorsement deals pay -- where's your proof that the endorsement money is insignificant to these guys? One thing I will point out is that these guys' net worths are often much less than you'd think. Like Petrucci -- John MF'in Petrucci -- has a net worth considerably less than my 2016 flatmate. Though in his case it's clear that he loves those guitars and has a long-standing relationship with the company.

And there's already contradiction: if you're young and up-and-coming you're hungry and your vision is supposed to mean so much more to you, but then when you're established and money doesn't mean anything to you -- it leaves no room for an endorsement to ever matter. But I'll admit that endorsement money, the importance of which is made obvious by the complete lack of brand loyalty, is much more important to the younger less established artists.

14. Seventhwave

Nobody has proof. But if you're going by what artists have said here and there regarding most of these types of endorsement deals, I would say it's a pretty safe assumption that the payout isn't anywhere near what people think it is. In many cases it's simply free or heavily discounted gear. Which some artists have said is great, but doesn't quite pay their bills. But yes, it's just an assumption.

While Petrucci doesn't have the net worth of someone like Mayer, common sense would lead me to believe that his happiness with the product/company probably takes priority over going somewhere else that may pay out more to use his name. That is of course assuming he's even getting monetary compensation currently. I'd assume he is, but who knows.

With the younger bands, compensation is probably the only factor. Most probably don't have the financial luxury to consider anything else. If one deal is guitars at 25% above cost and the other is 2 free guitars a year, for a young touring band that has to make every penny count the latter is the only choice even if they love the products from the former.

I aint trying to piss anyone off lol. So apologies if I have. My assumptions *you're correct* on Mayer are just that. But they're just based on what makes sense to me given his status/choices.

15. AuroraTide

AuroraTide SS.org Regular

Fender vs PRS aside, I hope this becomes a production model. It looks like it's shorter scale, and hopefully it has pickups similar to the big dipper ones. I rarely play 6 string anymore but this has me interested

16. MSUspartans777

MSUspartans777 SS.org Regular

I would totally buy this if it makes it to production. Smart move by PRS and Mayer

17. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Not sure: we're talking about him here, which doesn't happen very much in the usual flow of conversation. It's also advertising. I'm not saying he moved for the money, I'm saying people shouldn't see an endorsement deal as a single thing in a vacuum, and that getting a PRS endorsement can also be a business move. It keeps him on the news, and maybe that Fender sig got all its early adopter sales and wasn't that much of an income for him now.
    It's of course pure speculation all the way, but that's the only thing we can do here anyway. ^^

On a side note, won't buy it, not a modern strat guy. The day someone relocats that volume button I'll maybe get one, but every time I play a strat my hand ends up lowering the volume inadvertently. I played one of the new elite or whatever models last year and the neck felt very alien to me, too.

18. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

It's also worth pointing out that at the time he was seeking a new endorsement he was looking for a guitar to be built that he could use with Dead & Company specifically, and what he was looking for was pretty ambitious. The pickups, switching and especially the onboard pre-amp are all pretty unique things, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of companies wouldn't or maybe even couldn't do it. I know that the pre-amps ended up being designed and individually handbuilt by a guy at PRS, and they had a ton of issues with getting them to a point of reliability that they could replicate 100 of them.

So what I'm saying is he probably talked to a bunch of different companies, and PRS was the one that he felt would do the best job making him what he wanted. I'd say it says a lot that he's pretty much using their guitars exclusively now (at first he was still using Strats when not with D&C) and even designed an amp with them.

EDIT: PRS actually did a good write-up on all of this here: http://www.prsguitars.com/index.php...the_super_eagle_collaboration_with_john_mayer

19. narad

I should point out that when I first made the comment here about him realizing the private stock wasn't a good source of revenue, it was mostly facetious. More than pretty much any discussion of this sort that's ever happened on SSO, I'd be inclined to believe John just wanted some cool gear.

But I think it's also jumping the gun to start patting him on the back for not caring about the money when we have no details on the deal, of a guy that has made a lot of prudent business decisions to get where he is today. Ultimately I'm not going to throw shade at anyone whose actions result in the community having access to some really cool new options, and the super eagle is definitely that. I'm more annoyed with like...the latest iteration of Pro Tone pedal that offers nothing new, crap quality, and a high price tag, clearly to just max revenue to company and artists.

20. SDMFVan

SDMFVan SS.org Regular

Over the weekend a little bird told me that there's another run of Super Eagles in production (different color, ~150 units) and then this PRS John Mayer Strat is indeed coming down the pike. Not sure on whether or not it'll be Private Stock or core line though.