New Joe Satriani

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bloody_Inferno, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

You're decades too late for that Old-man-yelling-at-cloud nonsense. I hope you actually are over 60, so you're at least acceptably within the "back in those days" zone... :coffee:

2. Universe777

Universe777 SS.org Regular

@Lemonbaby maybe you are right,
    but I have to disappoint you, I'm just 45 o_O

But you know, Joe is always present here :D
    I learned a lot just from listening to his albums. It took years to learn Satch Boogie and he is still a big influence for me.
    IMG_20200212_223931.jpg

_MonSTeR_ likes this.
  3. HungryGuitarStudent

HungryGuitarStudent SS.org Regular

Did you actually listen to his more melodic stuff in the Extremist, Flying in a blue dream, Surfing and NotE era? Did you listen to those albums in context, i.e. in the musical context to that time?

To understand Joe’s contribution, it needs to be put in context. It’s kinda similar to saying Bram Stoker’s Dracula is just another generic vampire novel 123 years after its publication.

4. ramses

ramses Guitar/pizza regular

This is particularly important for The Extremist.

Thaeon, HoneyNut and Emperoff like this.
  5. Universe777

Universe777 SS.org Regular

@HungryGuitarStudent
    Joe "Dracula" Satriani, the pentatonic vampire:rofl:
    Sorry, but I'm a joker, lol

Emperoff likes this.
  6. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

For me its always been the Jumpin In solo
    When he hits that high note during the key change ..........musical equivalent of sex

7. HoneyNut

HoneyNut Regular

He really doesn't need to prove anything. He's written classics. He's made his point about what the guitar can do, which noone at that time did. He is perhaps as important as Jimi.

Thaeon likes this.
  8. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

I think Joe might have a copyright issue with AC/DC with those hammer on pull off guitar licks. You can hear it in both tunes...especially at the beginning of this one.:scratch:

;>)/

9. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Since this thread is bumped, I'll have a crack at responding whilst reviewing each album post CP....

Engines of Creation

AKA the techno album. Perhaps Satch's most out there album since he's always had a rock n' roll heart. Still sounds pretty cool and a ton of highlights, even with the techno production, the songs sound great when played live in a rock environment (see Live In San Francisco album)

Best songs: Devil's Slide, Borg Sex, Until We Say Goodbye, Clouds Race Across The Sky, The Power Cosmic 1-2.

Strange Beautiful Music

A step back for me personally. This was where Satch went straight into home recording and production suffered for it. Some of his weaker repertoire here too, but not entirely dire.

Best songs: Belly Dancer, Mind Storm (I don't care what Drew says, this is a banger), Mountain Song, The Traveler.

Is There Love In Space

Similar, grounded rock vibe that started with SBM (or the 1995 self titled I suppose). Song ratio is better than SBM too.

Best songs: Hands In The Air, Is There Love In Space, If I Could Fly, Searching, Bamboo

Super Colossal

This was where Satch was going through his extended jam phase (as seen in Satriani Live), songs are overlong and he was doing a lot of average mid tempo rock songs that's been showing up in every album since (including Chickenfoot). I did listen to this recently and there are some fun moments, incidentally from all the long songs...

Best songs: Redshift Riders, A Cool New Way, One Robot's Dream, The Meaning Of Love, Made Of Tears.

Professor Satchafunkulus And The Musterion Of Rock

Starts off great, ends great, but a lot of mellow filler in between. The album actually feels tired to me. Between SBM and this, take the best bits and you can make a good album or 2.

Best songs: Musterion, Overdriver, Revelation, Asik Vaysel, Andalusia

Black Swans And Wormhole Wizards

This was where Satch started getting his groove back for me. Not all up there since some of the songs are rejected Chickenfoot riffs with the midtempo shuffle he's been fascinated with post CP. But adding Mike Keneally was a plus.

Best songs: Premonition, The Golden Room, Wormhole Wizards, Wind In The Trees, God Is Crying.

Unstoppable Momentum

This was a big shake up Satch needed. No disrespect to Jeff Campbitelli (superb drummer), but getting a new rhythm section namely Vinnie Colaiuta really brought new life to Satch's songwriting, arranging and playing.

Best songs: Unstoppable Momentum, Can't Go Back, Lies And Truths, Jumpin' In, Jumpin' Out, The Weight Of The World.

Shockwave Supernova

This and UM were the 2 albums Satch went through his more ambitious 'prog' phase. A good followup with the Aristocrats rhythm section.

Best songs: Lost In A Memory, On Peregrine Wings, All Of My Life, Scarborough Stomp, If There's No Heaven, Stars Race Across The Sky.

What Happens Next

A bare essentials album, in the same vein as Crystal Planet. Just a power trio with rocking tunes. A return to form for some, love it all the same.

Best songs: Thunder On High Mountain, Cherry Blossoms, Righteous, What Happens Next, Invisible, Forever And Ever.

All my opinion of course. :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
    Thaeon, Addie5150, sirbuh and 4 others like this.
  10. Bloody_Inferno

Did not expect to hear this from Satch at all. It's actually really cool to hear him play in this environment.

Thaeon likes this.
  11. Bloody_Inferno

Not really feeling this one, almost like a Super Colossal leftover but at least with better production. I do like the huge sounding chords on the outro.

12. Bloody_Inferno

So the album is out, and I've smashed through it on Spotify a few times already. :lol:

Once again, the 2 singles do not show the album justice. This is perhaps his most experimental album since Engines Of Creation, and easily his most eclectic work. There's some songs that reminds me right back to Not Of This Earth, some quasi cinematic, country, some songs with whistling, hell, there's a reggae song here. But it all works. The songwriting is great, they're not too long so they don't wear their welcome, with all the diversity. This is the album I've wanted Satch to do for a long time and it's really nice to hear him spread himself out.

13. ramses

Nice review.

Bloody_Inferno likes this.
  14. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I gave it a spin this am and really enjoyed it!

Bloody_Inferno, Thaeon and sirbuh like this.
  15. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I pretty much agree with this verbatim. There are a few weak albums in there. CP and Surfing are probably my favorite albums. I do like the Self Titled one too. Shockwave was perfect return to form for me. Hoping good things about this new one. Haven't listened yet. My first guitar was a Satriani sig. This dude was a HUGE influence and you can often hear it when I'm playing.

16. ramses

OK. Finished listening to "Shapeshifting." I enjoyed it a lot and I still agree with @Bloody_Inferno 's review.

17. thedonal

thedonal SS.org Regular

I think I've only listened to Shockwave and What Happens Next once. Maybe twice. They didn't grab me at the time but I might find- as I did when catching up with the few before- that there's stuff I really like.

I do agree that much of his recent stuff has missed the strong melodic edge on the early albums- there's a lot more groove and jamming I think with the new stuff. It's fine, but I just lean so much more on the early albums (Flying in A Blue Dream is my favourite).

Incidentally I really like Strange Beautiful Music- the tone he went for on that is quite a change and some really nice tracks and vibes on it.

18. sirbuh

sirbuh SS.org Regular

Cool album, echoing above Satch does a great job varying the songs.

19. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Listened to the whole thing...there are some decent songs but honestly not much different than some of his better stuff. Like the production. It's OK, but I don't think I'll listen again.

20. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I was a big fan, but I can't bring myself to listen to any of his stuff anymore.

It just feels like it has regressed. This song was the equivalent of "The Force Awakens", just intentional nostalgia, that was worse than the originals. Except that he's been doing this for 30 years now so its not exactly nostalgia, its just Joe being joe.