New Intronaut in the Works

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by BlackMastodon, Jan 1, 2020.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

vocals sound like they don’t really belong in the mix, if that makes sense, but I too am digging it after a few spins.

2. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Yeah I agree with this. One first listen the vocals are mixed very differently compared to their older releases. Seems a little to crisp and forward in the mix compared to what I've become accustomed to.

3. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

New song, will probably get pulled down once Metal Blade uploads the official version on their channel.

EDIT: And here's the official;

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  4. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

New tunes sound good to me! Definitely hyped on the new album.

5. GunpointMetal

Man, I really like these SONGS, but the vocals sit really weird to me. It's OK on my fancy headphones, but in the car, through my speakers at work the vocals are distractingly EQ'd or leveled.

6. BlackMastodon

I dig this one more on first listen, but yeah there is something about the vocals that I still find distracting.

7. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

fuck only heard the new song yust now... shame on me!

love it! think this is a beter song than the first one, guitar sound is superb!

Can's wait for the new record!!

8. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Bump. Album is out. It slays.

Probably the best production on any of their albums. Josh crushed it once again and Kurt's mix is perfect for their style. I'm of the opinion that Devin's mix on The Direction of Last Things is a little too pristine and didn't emphasize the phat bass enough (as amazing as that album is), and I actually preferred Josh's mix on Habitual Levitations. This mix is much closer to that, with the perfect balance between Joe's distinctive bass tone and the thick, snarling guitar tones I've come to love from Dave and Sacha. The tones (guitars, bass, drums... and vocal cords) are top notch. The songwriting, as usual, is at once immaculate and nasty, with some of the coolest heavy riffs I've heard, running into and sometimes adjacent to nearly pristine delay and reverb laden counterpoints. As always, the multimetric and multirhymic nature of most sections keeps me doing the Jackie Chan meme face and coming back for more. In particular, the album finisher closes out with some of the most interesting and groovy interplay between interlocked bass and drums (courtesy of Alex Rudinger's incredible performance) and meandering guitar riffs, including some contributions from Ben Sharp.

This came out more like a formal review than I meant, but I'm just very satisfied with this album. I highly recommend everybody check it out and buy that shit, and go see them on tour with Emma Ruth Rundle and Cult of Luna.

BlackMastodon and Doug N like this.
  9. Doug N

Doug N SS.org Regular

I agree, production and song structures are freaking phenomenal. Rudinger is at another level now, this’ll probably contend for AOTY for me (although it’s early),

10. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Loves Black Guitars

Sachanaut?:vince:

[​IMG]

;>)/

Flemmigan likes this.
  11. jruivo26

jruivo26 SS.org Regular

Man, I'm in love with the guitar sound. Fuckin gnarly and tasty.

12. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

That review sounds accurate to me. I went and saw them last night in NYC. They played 4 songs, all from the new album...with a blow up doll in Joe's place, since he hurt his foot and is sitting out for the majority of the tour.

They sounded phenomenal. My only grip was that they had the shortest set.

Flemmigan likes this.
  13. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

New album just kills it. I’ve had it on repeat for a few days now and that’s a rare thing for me too do with an album.
    And agreed with many comments above that the guitar tone just crushes

Flemmigan likes this.
  14. GunpointMetal

I've been listening to it all weekend (basically alternating between this and the new Beneath the Massacre) and the musicianship and songs are awesome. The vocals are really distracting after a few songs for me, which kinda sucks. I can appreciate whats going enough to get passed it, but it's a less enjoyable experience than previous stuff. They literally sound like the rest of the album was already mixed and the vocals were added to a stereo track after the fact.

BlackMastodon and Triple7 like this.
  15. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

haven't been super into intronaut since habitual levitations am I missing out

16. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Yes, I would definitely check out the two albums that came out after it.

17. sessionswan

sessionswan ffffffffftt

This album just keeps getting better the more you listen to it. The first run through didn't hit me as hard as I was hoping it would but man, once you dig into this album it is incredible.

18. BlackMastodon

Just fired this up at work and will give it a full listen.

I agree that the mix sounds closer to Habitual Levitations and it does give that awesome bass a ton of room to breathe but I still agree with Gunpoint, I find the vocals distracting and I feel like they need to sound dirtier or a bit less present in the mix or something. I dunno, I'm by no means an audio producer but I liked how the vocals weren't the main focus on their earlier albums (or even on Direction of Last Things) whereas here it sounds like they're pushed to the forefront a lot more.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  19. BlackMastodon

Alright, after a full listen the album does indeed kick ass, my complaints about the vocals aside. I wanted to keep my expectations reasonable after how much I love Direction of Last Things but this is a great follow up.

The Cull and Check Your Misfortune have some of my favourite riffs on the whole thing, and Tripolar gave me some East of the Wall vibes. Will be picking this up soon and will probably listen to it weekly like I did with DoLT.

Flemmigan likes this.
  20. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time