New Ibanez SR300B-WK Vs. B-stock Squier Jazz Bass '77?

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by goldenaxe, Mar 2, 2015.

1. goldenaxe

goldenaxe SS.org Regular

Hey :)

Wondering if anyone's tried one of these new SR300s which came out this year, looks the same as a standard SR300 but with mahogany body and much nicer finish. I tried an SR600 out in a local shop and loved it but it's out of my budget, so am hoping the SR300B-WK could be a good compromise between the cheaper SR300 neck + hardware and the SR500 body?

On the other hand is a Squier VM Jazz Bass '77. I haven't tried this exact model, but I've tried the older '70s version and many other jazz basses and jazzes definitely are a favourite of mine.... I like the SRs too though. Basically is the extra £40 for the SR300B-WK worth it?

Thanks

NB Sr300B-WK is £216, Squier is £174.

2. BassMetalDude

BassMetalDude Windup - Bass

I'd personally go for the Squire, the VM series are good.
    Feel it, play it.. And go from there.

The SR300 might be a decent starter bass, haven't tried the new ones though.

3. goldenaxe

goldenaxe SS.org Regular

Thanks, I ended up ordering the Squier as it was quite a bit cheaper and I'm very happy with it, I might get round to doing an NBD at some point. Definitely looks funkier than the SR, not sure on electronics as haven't got round to buying a decent bass amp yet but compared to a MIA I think it looks and plays great.