New Harley Benton FanFret-8

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Van Portogal, Oct 10, 2016.

1. unclejemima218

unclejemima218 190 Proof

ah CHRIST

2. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

I always thought these were made in China?

3. welsh_7stinger

welsh_7stinger 7=best number

Well bye bye money as soon as i can afford the 8. But on a more series note of these. is it me or dose it look like the perpendicular fret is 5 or 6. wouldn't that make it not that easy to play for leads and such?

4. Van Portogal

Van Portogal SS.org Regular

Perpendicular fret is 9.

But there's also a seven with straight frets and nicer pickups

https://www.thomann.de/it/harley_benton_baritone_7sb_dlx_series.htm

I'd like an 8 with this nicer pickups and maple fretboard... if we are a number that write to thomann asking for maple board and this nicer pickups perhaps they will make it...

5. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

took the plunge and ordered the 6 string FF baritone.

will do a full overview and review when I will get it(hopefully in 2-3 weeks) with pics.

6. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

Well, HBZ pickups can mean anything I guess. I bought a 6-string Harley Benton Explorer a couple of years ago, and yeah, it does look pretty nice, but that's where the good parts end :lol:

I bought it because I wanted an Explorer with a Floyd (yep, could've bought a Kelly, but I prefer the more classic look of a "normal" Explorer"), and it was dirt cheap. I tried it as is, but the Floyd was too crappy to even just strum on :lol: It was the cheapest I've ever seen, it didn't even have the normal "Licensed under Floyd Rose patent" -text :lol: The fine tuners were too stiff to use at all and the pickups (HBZ's, actives... ) were the muddiest ones I've ever heard. And extremely loud :lol: The good part with those was that they had EMG-style quick connectors (!), so I put 81X and 85X pickups in it. The pickup rings' screws didn't fit the EMG's though, so I had to buy new ones separately.
    Then I bought an Ibanez Edge Pro tremolo for it, but could never get the intonation quite right. Sometime later I bought the 27-fret Xiphos which has an Edge 3, and swapped the bridges on the guitars and blocked the Edge 3 on the Explorer. The funny part with this, is that even though the Edge Pro was a direct replacement for the original bridge, the Edge 3 didn't fit without some routing :lol:

By the way, I managed to sell the bridge for 20€ with a description similar to "If you want the ....tiest bridge ever, this one's for you" :shred:

---

Just something to keep in mind when considering buying a Harley Benton ;)

Then again, I also have a Harley Benton 6-string bass, and I actually like it. So I guess they're not all bad...

7. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

Well,

I know the risks,
    As I've read and seen more videos where the quality of the instruments has gone up is higher I took the chance.
    In addition, it has single bridge style so less hassle as it is probably at the level of average 7-8€ bridges(from china) you find on cheaper guitars and they kind of work so no problem there. Tuners and pickups are things you can change and as I'm buying from Thomann you can always return it and state bad quality or have it exchanged.

8. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

I Believe Harley Benton are made in China, it's like Thomann's own brand.

i have a 5 string bass, its actually pretty good.

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I legit have no GAS for a fanned fret... but that 6-string barrytoan seem really, really cool.

10. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Anyone taken the plunge on one of the fanned yet?
    Any reviews, even just a mini?

I'm somewhat interested in the fanned seven string version..

11. Van Portogal

There in a post on 7-8 String Guitar Users group on facebook!

Attached Files:

• hb.jpg
      hb.jpg
      File size:
      115.5 KB
      Views:
  12. pedroduartewr

pedroduartewr SS.org Regular

Just checked it...
    Sounded good until I saw his later post(which has since been removed):scratch:

It showed some finish issues on the back and on the horns, worse than that, the fretboard was poorly cut/dented on the higher frets...:scratch:

Also concerning the higher frets... they were lifting... on a NEW guitar!:wallbash:

I was getting kinda interested, a neck-through 8 string fan-fret for 400€ (~425$)... but, in the light of this... I'm sitting this one out...

13. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

Well.. those (7 and 8) may not be perfect, but I'm thinking..
    At those crazily low prices, could be great as mod projects.
    I often feel like replacing the frets for a different wire, so perfect moment for trimming the fretboard.

Potential lacquer issues aren't that nice; might be avoided by communicating with seller (like Thomann) about checking the axe against such impunities before buying.

Maybe tuners are ok, maybe not; but a new set ain't that expensive, and in my case, at least one would be swapped for a detuner anyways.

Pups should be ok, at least for a while, and how many do not replace at least one pickup anyways..

Which would leave me with the bridge/single-saddles; again maybe ok, maybe not, but could be done later on if needed.

What's important is how decent the actual build is wrt stability, tone, sustain..

14. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

That sounds like you would just end up with a guitar that costs at least twice as much especially if you put a price on your time.

15. pedroduartewr

Exactly! These things would be good mod projects if only the electronics and hardware were meh...

Fretwork being that botched will take time and money to fix...

16. Van Portogal

I swear that my Harley Benton r-458 has a better fretwork than my RGIRG28FE.
    The second has very much better woods, sustain, playability, tighter-better sounding lower strings.
    This was a first attempt with fanned frets, incoming production wil be better.
    I'm not buying yet because I want 9 string fanned frets and 8 string straight frets with roswell pickups and maple fretboard.

17. pedroduartewr

I hope so, because I did get excited about this model, if I do end up getting one, it's getting a refinish and Laces!

18. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

I mostly/partially agree; however..
    If the basic work on this axe is ok off factory, I'll leave it an open question how much I'd have to pay for another instrument that's 'just right' out of the box..

Parts may have a price to them, for sure, but as I said, at least some parts we all often do replace anyways.

I often wish to refret anyways, as I favor German hard alloy fretwire and prefer a certain fret profile, which in general isn't used on most buyware.

On a potential mod project like this (haven't decided), I'd disregard the time invested, as I would do it simply because.. because, and for potentially ending up with an axe working out as intended, and still less expensive than other out of the box thingies.

19. indreku

indreku SS.org Regular

Got my FF baritone 6 string

will do a NGD soon...first few upgrades

20. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular