New Haken - Vector 2018

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lurè, Aug 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Sounds good to me!

2. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

Interesting stuff, not the typical djent type music which is a refreshing change.

3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Haken is never typical djent by no means

Exchanger likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire Pointy Gang™

lmao haken has never really been djenty. they're pretty proggy like caligula's horse or thank you scientist. Go check out the Mountain album, that's probably their most proggy album imo

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Fuck yeah, The Good Doctor is great. Especially that breakdown at the 1:54 mark.

6. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

I've only ever listened to Visions, but I assume that must be considered one of their more proggy albums as well?

Maybe we're blowing FourFour's comment out of proportion. He might have just meant that there's a lot of djent bands these days, while the 'Dream Theater' wave of prog had its heyday throughout the 2000s. Still, while I'm not very familiar with their discography, my impression was that Haken is celebrated as one of the best bands today working in that earlier progressive metal style.

A quick look at their ProgArchives page shows that they have albums ranked up there with the best of the best, including Visions (4.12/5) and The Mountain (4.15/5), which can be compared to the site's top progressive metal albums of all time such as DT's Scenes from a Memory (4.29) and Images and Words (4.28). Actually, The Mountain barely exceeds both Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (4.13) and Symphony X's highest-rated album, V: New Mythology Suite (4.14). As a big Symphony X fan, I think that's sacrilege, but credit where credit's due: Haken achieved their score across 1024 reviews while Symphony X only has 673.

In terms of the popular vote, you can't say Haken isn't well-respected in the prog community.

7. KnightBrolaire

Maybe we are blowing it out of proportion. I mean, Haken plays 8 string guitars, but they don't really utilize them like most other 8 string focused bands imo. They're more focused on using them for extended chords and less low string meshuggah stuff.
    Visions is good but The Mountain is really excellent all the way through.
    Affinity is also good, but it's very Rush esque and quite different from the almost baroque/Mr. Bumble/Diablo Swing Orchestra vibes I get from The Mountain.
    Aquarius is their weakest album imo.
    Haken deserves every bit of praise they get imo. Same with some of the other bands I mentioned in my previous post. Very few bands can consistently deliver great music, and from what i've heard, Haken is one of them.

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  8. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

I agree, I honestly love almost every album but if I was held at gunpoint and had to choose one, would be V: for me is their best mix of heavy riffing and symphonic arrangements.

As said before, Haken use 8 string guitar but in a more musical way than just pure djent or synchopation.

Sermo Lupi likes this.
  9. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

They have a few passages, though (In Memoriam, Paraeidolia, the Architect), and Charlie is a big Meshuggah fan. Some parts he recorded with a M80M. As for extended chords, they tend to spread them between the instruments to keep some clarity.

Back to the new single, I think it's really good. My only qualm is the use of the electronic toms... all the 80's stuff was setting a nice mood for affinity, but I feel it's time to turn the nostalgia page.

10. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Cool

Nlelith and lurè like this.
  12. Ralyks

Really dig A Cell Dividee, although weird hearing the closing track prereleased.

13. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Not a single comment since the release?

Anyway, I bought it. I dig it a lot more than the previous one overall to be honest. It's been a long while since I've listened to Affinity, so my memory of it is pretty foggy; I recall it was a bit tame sounding once you excluded 1984. I think there could've been space for one or two more songs on Vector, even though it's around 45 minutes long. I ended up wanting a bit more at the end, which is in some way a good sign.

lurè likes this.
  14. Ralyks

Sounds like Affinity, though less 80s and more modern.

Either way, I've dug it so far.

15. Addie5150

Addie5150 Amidst the chaos

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  16. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Really good album, personally I like It a bit more than Affinity bucause is more guitar centered.
    It seems incomplete as an album in the sense that needs like a pt 2.

17. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

It's 1985 mate, you missed a year xD and you forgot the Architect and the Endless Knot, this three songs are outstanding.

18. Exchanger

Exchanger SS.org Regular

Affinity was going in a completely different direction, with exploring different sounds, going more into post-rock or 80's sound territory, shorter catchier songs etc... The Arhcitect, which is the prog metal epic of the album, feels almost out of place (it's my favorite track though).
    Vector was clearly set to be a heavy riff-based album from the start. In terms of production it sounds a bit like Affinity, but in terms of composition it's completely different, so comparing these 2 is not really logical to me.
    To me, this album falls much closer to Visions, with less exploration and a strong focus on the story and the emotional build-up...and yeah I totally dig it.

19. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh Contributor

JejeLaFrite likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

I much prefer Vector over Affinity. Not that Affinity was a bad album by any means ( i really like that one as well) but for me, The Mountain is still their best album imo, and Vector/Visions are close behind.

Exchanger likes this.