New Haken album "Virus" out 5th June

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lurè, Apr 3, 2020.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

That's a good point, I've had to crank the volume on everything I've listened through to get the oomph across.

2. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

To be honest, the bass guitar has that "modern bass sound" to it: very aggressive, bright and gnarly... but without any low-end whatsoever. Really none. While you can fairly well hear it, the bass cannot support the guitars, barely accompany them. That being said, I read that the album was mixed by Nolly and that's kind of his sound.

At least the drums don't sound like how Periphery drums sound like, which ruined Devin's Transcendance album for me. I really couldn't deal with how the very clean, clinical and scalpel-like drums sounded completely at odds with Devin's general sound that relies a lot more on reverbs, delays and has a "wall-of-sound" feel to it.

Ataraxia2320 likes this.
  3. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

huh, weird. whenever i think Nolly mix i think of Periphery, and for example, the new album (Reptile, Blood eagle, etc) i remember having thunderous bass.
    after a 2nd listen, i can 100% sure that is what its lacking, at least for me.
    The riffs on Ectobius Rex should be making me afraid for my wall-hung bookshelves, but it just... doesn't.

4. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Maybe that's just me, but I revisited a bit of Periphery's Blood Eagle and Reptile... and there's copious amounts of low end, especially from the kick drum, but the bass guitar's low end doesn't really shine through. It's not as bad on Reptile as on Blood Eagle, but I wouldn't say it's remarkable either. I'll gladly admit I never cared for Periphery's music all that much though, so maybe that's just my bias. :lol:

That being said, I find it pretty common in a lot of modern Metal mixes so see the bass guitar just getting the aggression with none of the expected depth or bottom-end. As if the bass had been through a cascade of Darkglass preamps pedals, a caricature of sorts.

5. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Huge Opeth vibe near the end of Ectobius Rex (2:44 - 4:20). Enough that I got it stuck in my head, didn't realize it was Haken, and tried to go figure out which Opeth song it was. A lot like White Cluster.

6. Pietjepieter

Pietjepieter SS.org Regular

I really like the new album, think for me it is the best they made.

However I do also think the mix is missing something in the low end.

Man, this album makes me missing live concerts more and more, would love to hear those songs live :(

7. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I pretty much prefer Vector

8. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Finished listening to this new album right now... Amazing.
    It's a great great album.
    I am one of the few that prefers the first two albums (with the more happy-esque songs like Celestial Elixir) than the latter work but there's no complains anyway. It's just the perfect prog band and what Haken doesn't cover in the prog scene for me then there is Leprous...

With those two bands I have enough (but I want more so keep it coming guys...)

Perfection doesn't exist so is just a 9,9/10

StevenC likes this.
  9. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Yeah, more listens have this as probably my favorite Haken record, and maybe my album of 2020 so far.