New guitar or amp or any other tip?

Boedeln

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Background info:

I have a combo katana 100 mkii, and an ibanez rg421ex which i havent made any adjustments to, since im inexp.
Im practicing 30min-4hrs a day (for 2 months) and making progress, watching youtube for music theory etc.

But. id like a 2nd guitar with a **good trem**/pickups/sound/playability etc so ill practice scales, standard e songs etc on one guitar, and drop tuning and learn some heavy/trash/black metal on the other one.

Theres black fri/week now and i found an rg5320c prestige for ~1670 euro.
Would cost ~2070 eu if not lowered on some sites.. would it be fine for one or both of the criterias? Super wiz for my small hands (tried many brands).

Or buy a new amp.. it can go heavy but not as the *heavy/dark chugging sound i want.* It sounds bright (have tried and bought some good patches), also cant get those nice pinch harmonic sound on the thinnest strings even if i nail them. Tried with bridge and high dist..
Think CoB - angels dont kill 2nd solo.

I wanna play and practice with sounds like Rhaosody of fire/blind guardian solos.
And i want to play stuffs like Slayer, Behemoth, CoB, satyricon, amon amarth and meshuggah etc.

Living in an appartment. Not that sensible neighbours but 100w is too much. Maybe even 50w.

So does it sounds like i want another guitar for now or amp?

Akkush

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It depeneds.

You don't enjoy playing your guitar because you think it's not cool, not comfortable?
Or you don't like how your combo sounds?

I never owned a Katana, but what I heard, it's a fine gear for you application.
For tone your amp, and especially your cab, speakers are more importent then your guitar, unless it's very poorly setup... or you rearly change strings :rofl:

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
The amps that do what you want will be too loud for your apartment unless you also buy an attenuator. I’d honestly suggest sticking with what you have for now. 2 months hasn’t even scratched the surface of playing. You’ll know a lot more about what you like and dislike about your setup next year. Save your money and perhaps you can get a new amp and guitar next year. For now just keep practicing, and spend time tweaking your amp settings. Watch some tutorials to learn what can be manipulated and start experimenting.

Boedeln

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It depeneds.

You don't enjoy playing your guitar because you think it's not cool, not comfortable?
Or you don't like how your combo sounds?

I never owned a Katana, but what I heard, it's a fine gear for you application.
For tone your amp, and especially your cab, speakers are more importent then your guitar, unless it's very poorly setup... or you rearly change strings :rofl:

I thought it was the guitar, but my friend (long experience) talked me out of it and suggested a new amp instead..
Almost only read good things about the katana.
Maybe its faulty or that im a very demanding person. I took my guitar to my friend and we plugged it into his Kemper, and, yea night and day so it was the amp.

I ordered an Fractal Axe iii and be done with it, now ill be able to practice without getting sick of the sound and stop playing

Boedeln

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The amps that do what you want will be too loud for your apartment unless you also buy an attenuator. I’d honestly suggest sticking with what you have for now. 2 months hasn’t even scratched the surface of playing. You’ll know a lot more about what you like and dislike about your setup next year. Save your money and perhaps you can get a new amp and guitar next year. For now just keep practicing, and spend time tweaking your amp settings. Watch some tutorials to learn what can be manipulated and start experimenting.

I decided im gonna sell the amp and ordered an Axe iii, but ill keep this cheaper guitar. Something is so off with my katana i thought it was the guitar, watched countless videos and my sounded nothing like them other with same setup (but diff guitars).
See above answer for more info :)

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Well just being honest, I don't think you'll really understand the AxeFx frankly, if the katana didn't give you a decent sound. Katanas can sound awesome but they take some work. Axe FX is the exact same thing, but the same amount of controls as the Hubble telescope. All I'm saying is keep it simple, read as much as you can, and don't overwhelm yourself too quickly, and you'll get the hang of it, but you went zero to one hundred super super quick with that purchase.

You'll also want to look into good studio monitors/powercab/headphones.

Boedeln

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well just being honest, I don't think you'll really understand the AxeFx frankly, if the katana didn't give you a decent sound. Katanas can sound awesome but they take some work. Axe FX is the exact same thing, but the same amount of controls as the Hubble telescope. All I'm saying is keep it simple, read as much as you can, and don't overwhelm yourself too quickly, and you'll get the hang of it, but you went zero to one hundred super super quick with that purchase.

You'll also want to look into good studio monitors/powercab/headphones.

You are totally right, it will be a huge nightmare to dial in tones for me!
Im going to take it really slow with that and watch youtube guides when im resting from playing so my elbows doesnt hurt, stick with the presets, tweak minimum and focusing on learning chords, scales, techniques etc :) actually focusing more on that and improvising/aural than learning songs. (Mostly licks with technique requirements)
I think ill have a wonderful learning experience for a very long time.

I borrowed my friend's headphones until i can get studio monitors. Is there something else i might need to get started up? Soundcard? Not home im that department tbh. Some stuffs are still foreign to me even though im still googling stuffs alot.

elkoki

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You say you're inexperienced in adjusting your current Ibanez guitar, if you can't adjust / setup your current guitar, you will struggle way more with that Prestige. Just because it's a Prestige doesn't mean it'll magically always stay setup and ready to go, in some cases brand new guitars need complete setups especially if you want to use a different set of string gauges. A trem will be a nightmare for you unless you want to spend more money on having someone set it up for you.

You sound very inexperienced in general when it comes to guitar.. if I were you I would've bought a plugin rather than an AXEFX. Especially during black Friday Neural DSP has plugins for around $75 dollars, as long as you have a decent pc you can buy an interface and you can play silently with very nice tones. TBH the AXEFX sounds like total overkill for a beginner like you. But in the end it's your choice, if you don't stick to guitar playing you can always sell your AXEFX

Boedeln

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You say you're inexperienced in adjusting your current Ibanez guitar, if you can't adjust / setup your current guitar, you will struggle way more with that Prestige. Just because it's a Prestige doesn't mean it'll magically always stay setup and ready to go, in some cases brand new guitars need complete setups especially if you want to use a different set of string gauges. A trem will be a nightmare for you unless you want to spend more money on having someone set it up for you.

You sound very inexperienced in general when it comes to guitar.. if I were you I would've bought a plugin rather than an AXEFX. Especially during black Friday Neural DSP has plugins for around $75 dollars, as long as you have a decent pc you can buy an interface and you can play silently with very nice tones. TBH the AXEFX sounds like total overkill for a beginner like you. But in the end it's your choice, if you don't stick to guitar playing you can always sell your AXEFX

Yes, you are right. Not buying a new expensive one. Setting up a guitar with a floating bridge seems like a big hassle for a beginner..
However i wanna learn to adjust my guitar. But my friend and my uncle, also bandplayer, suggested me to take it to someone experienced to avoid messing it up. Probably refering to trussrod adjustments.. But dunno how ill learn not trying myself.

Yes well havent spoiled myself for 3 years even though i earn an average salary so i really wanted "the best" immediately. Hopefully ill grow nicely with it :) i like to fiddle with these kind of stuffs but will not let it disrupt my practicetime.
I appreciate your opinion!

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But my friend and my uncle, also bandplayer, suggested me to take it to someone experienced to avoid messing it up. Probably refering to trussrod adjustments.. But dunno how ill learn not trying myself.

Taking it to a professional isn't "bad" advice, but as you say, you won't learn unless you try yourself, and I highly encourage you to do so. Even the best tech in the world is going to set it up how they think is best. Only you can do your setup how you want it, and only by playing with the setup can you even know what you like. There's nothing for you to break setting up your guitar. As someone who as broken a truss rod (not during setup, mind you), it is extremely difficult to do.

I've been noodling with my bridge saddles, truss rod, pickup height etc since I was a know-nothing teenager and have never broken anything doing a setup. I would caution you to hold off on less-reversible things like filing nut slots or fret work until you're more confident and experienced, but the rest is just turning screws and using your senses to find the "goldilocks zone."

Boedeln

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Taking it to a professional isn't "bad" advice, but as you say, you won't learn unless you try yourself, and I highly encourage you to do so. Even the best tech in the world is going to set it up how they think is best. Only you can do your setup how you want it, and only by playing with the setup can you even know what you like. There's nothing for you to break setting up your guitar. As someone who as broken a truss rod (not during setup, mind you), it is extremely difficult to do.

I've been noodling with my bridge saddles, truss rod, pickup height etc since I was a know-nothing teenager and have never broken anything doing a setup. I would caution you to hold off on less-reversible things like filing nut slots or fret work until you're more confident and experienced, but the rest is just turning screws and using your senses to find the "goldilocks zone."

Thanks for advice!
I actually have fretbuzz on thick E-string at first+second fret, a little on A-string first frets. Also on thin e-string fifth fret if i hit the note continously (maybe slight on first frets). Rest of the board seems ok. Maybe slight buzz thick string fret 13-17.

I changed all strings for the first time (looks awful but they work) but didnt help. Adjusted trossrod clockwise it got worse, so turned it back after a day, and day after that i did counterclock but it went back as it was.

String height is like 4mm on 12 fret.
Should i try adjusting the height? Feels awful playing.
For me it looks like strings is veery low first frets and very high rest of the guitar.
Also its as if the neck is bent a little first frets but looking more fine down the neck, in my inexp eyes. (Buddy thought it looked U-shaped/forward bow)

Sorry shouldve maybe made a separate post.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Does it buzz plugged in?

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
You need to have someone who knows what they’re doing set up your guitar. The fact that you have buzz with a whopping 4mm string height (3 is high action) tells me both your neck bow isn’t set and your bridge is also too high. And there’s no guarantee that something more complicated like your nut height isnt off as well, especially if you changed to thicker strings and they’re sitting on the grooves rather than in them.

Depending on who adjusts it they may either let you watch or they can explain what they did in detail.

Even a high end custom shop with that height would be all but unplayable for me and I’ve got 30 years of shred wankery under my belt.

Boedeln

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You need to have someone who knows what they’re doing set up your guitar. The fact that you have buzz with a whopping 4mm string height (3 is high action) tells me both your neck bow isn’t set and your bridge is also too high. And there’s no guarantee that something more complicated like your nut height isnt off as well, especially if you changed to thicker strings and they’re sitting on the grooves rather than in them.

Depending on who adjusts it they may either let you watch or they can explain what they did in detail.

Even a high end custom shop with that height would be all but unplayable for me and I’ve got 30 years of shred wankery under my belt.

I see i will most likely do that!
String size is the same as before (10-46)
Mightve written/worded it poorly but the 4mm is at 12 fret, havent measured first frets but theyre most likely half of that.

I brought the guitar to guitarshop and he suggested to have them file bands, or all bands+board which would cost 145€.

Is this acceptable if i still got warranty?

I called another shop and could only explain by words and he said the guitar likely is faulty and i should demand a new one..
That after less than 2 months i shouldnt have to do so many adjustments especially trustrod when its so new..
Had to recheck when i bought it, was 9 okt. Guitar was 390£

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
I see i will most likely do that!
String size is the same as before (10-46)
Mightve written/worded it poorly but the 4mm is at 12 fret, havent measured first frets but theyre most likely half of that.

I brought the guitar to guitarshop and he suggested to have them file bands, or all bands+board which would cost 145€.

Is this acceptable if i still got warranty?

I called another shop and could only explain by words and he said the guitar likely is faulty and i should demand a new one..
That after less than 2 months i shouldnt have to do so many adjustments especially trustrod when its so new..
Had to recheck when i bought it, was 9 okt. Guitar was 390£

I’d get a second opinion. But a new guitar should not need a full refret. It might need a few frets polished and crowned, or even tapped down if it has lifted slightly (adjusting height of a single fret or two).

And yes at 12th fret you should be somewhere between 2-3mm on the thickest string (Low E) and not 4+.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
At only two months in playing guitar and you're already aiming for new Prestiges and Axe IIIs, seemingly almost on a whim. Strikes me a bit as either a flex or a good dose of naivety. Budda had the best advice IMO - worry about learning how to play first. If you've got Axe III money, then you can certainly afford to get a pro to setup your existing guitar, get it plek'd or something - I did that to my "cheap" Ibanez, threw some pickups I liked in it, and it's a perfectly good player.

You said you're looking for "the best" at one point, and I think that's the wrong approach. Both because what counts as "the best" is subjective, but also because the best gear won't solve tone search and playability woes if you aren't targeting some particular thing/taste/etc., or if you don't have the experience to tell the difference to tweak things to your liking.

I mean, the guitar you posted and the Axe are pretty great - If you've got the money to spare, it's certainly not bad gear by any stretch. And it's not like anyone here can speak against just wanting to own nice things. I don't "need" half the stuff I own, but I just like to have it, and that's fine too. Just don't let yourself be convinced that how good you sound as a guitarist is directly correlated to how much money you can throw at the hobby. Good gear is not the most important part of the equation, IMO. (The important part being practice - putting the time in.)