New from Mesa Boogie: Cabclone IR+ Reactive Attenuator and IR loader

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MASS DEFECT, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Right, so impulse response is the “digitized sample” of a sound wave??? to put it in another way?

What then is the differnece between when I hear people talking on the axe forum like, “That IR is amazing” vs “That preset/rig is amazing”

I guess, thats the second question for you if you dont mind me asking another, are IR’s the basis for presets or are they unrelated?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

IRs are another kind of cab simulation. A cab sim can be an IR. In fact the cab sims in the Axe FX are all IRs pretty much.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  3. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Bullshit.

These past ten years, I haven't had to wonder if there is a better performing reactive load, because there isn't one.

Everyone else running artificial loads are still comparing them to see which one is the best, is it as good as real thing, etc.

And I can use the iso with real mics.

4. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Nope, not bullshit. It’s an archaic absurd way of doing things, when stuff like the Suhr exist. Or maybe you have more of a golden ear than Pete Thorn?

5. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- I never used an iso cab so I guess I don't see the downsides compared to regular micing. I can see the downsides compared to load boxes and always questioned the air pressure inside and box being used. I like the idea of being able to change out different speakers and mics though.
    - I'm pretty happy with my reactive load (Sequis Motherload Pro rack). I like it more than my actual cab's in a lot of ways. I don't think about it not having a cab in the room sound or whatever. I just sounds good. I like gear that is set and forget and not thought about. That's the good gear, imo.
    - I've used many different mics (sm57. 906, Ev's, Sennheiser, etc.) on my cab's which are 2x12's with Ev's and also worked in a pro studio for awhile too with a large selection of amps and cabs and the best mics. I still like the Sequis Motherload Pro more than just about all that stuff, actually. If you have all the right pieces for what you're wanting exactly and have access to a good room, mics, cab's preamps etc, then one could probably get a better sound, but it would still be quite a challenge honestly. I don't know why I don't hear more about the Sequis. They are awesome and though I've never used in person the Suhr reactive load or Torpedo type stuff, I'm sure it's on par, maybe better even (probably a preference thing) than those and I prefer it over the Palmer PDI stuff. The toroid inside it is massive. I thinks that's the majority of it's majic. The reactive part is amazing and the sound quality is really top notch. If using an amp under 100 watts I'd highly recommend it for sure. I have never used the current model the Elemental, only the Pro version, but when looking at the guts and features. It has exactly the same parts and toroid inside it so it may be promising. The only clips Ive seen of it on YouTube don't do it justice at all if it's anything like my Pro version.

6. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I'm talking about using the iso cab as a reactive load. It reacts just like an amp/speaker because thats exactly what it is. Real. Not simulated.

And it has the benefit that it can be miced with real mics.

The simulated reactive loads would have to come down in price to be worthwhile for me.

c7spheres likes this.
  7. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Because the forum shills are responsible for getting the word out about any piece of gear. Foreign manufacturers, and tiny shops that don't have the same advertizing budget, their products will be ignored by the masses.

c7spheres likes this.
  8. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I’ve yet to hear an ISO cab that doesn’t sound boxy. Rivera, Randall, Demeter, etc all range from okay but boxy, to complete shit. The ability to mic it is of little benefit to me. And reactive load boxes are like $400, even less used. The price of a good mic.

c7spheres likes this.
  9. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Well, I encourage anyone to try it out if interested. It's a great product, very well made, and Rick (the owner) is very nice and helpful too.

10. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Paul Gilbert recorded one of his albums from 10-15 years ago with the Randall Iso. Its serviceable. But again, if you use it as a load you are assured proper reaction because it is a speaker, not a simulation.

Not saying the load boxes are bad, but there is debate about whic is better, and I can guarantee that the iso will win in any comparison of reactive loads, because its an actual speaker.

Its like comparing a modeler to an actual amp. The amp will always win in the "reality" department.

11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

no, you can’t guarantee it. Not when the Suhr has the exact curve of a speaker.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I swear to god EVERY fucking IR-related thread lately has become a dick-measure contest as to why real speakers are 100% better and you can't change my mind. :lol:

13. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

right. There’s a debate about which load box is better, therefore speakers are a better load. I mean, good thing people don’t debate which speakers are the best, amirite?

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

Load boxes, speakers and direct out with EQ are better than IR's, and you can't change my dick! I mean mind : )
    - Seriously, I've only heard a few IR's I liked or thought were acceptable, though not really impressive to me, which gives me hope actually, because for a long while there I couldn't find anything I even remotely liked. I heard a guy either on YouTube or the AxeFx forum that turned all the IR's off and just used EQ and I liked the sound better. I still think (from what I've heard) is that IR's string points are in the studio realm and in full context mixes, which makes sense.

15. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

That's because real speakers are 100% better and that makes my dick bigger than yours :p

16. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

Wasnt SharedEQ that turd who claim he can tone match an AxeFX or so with a Pod or something that similar despite never even tough an AxeFX? Somebody reminded me that. Im surprise people still take his contrarian trolling seriously.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.