New Fender amps; Digital preamp, class D power amp, direct out w/ impulse response

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jul 19, 2019.

1. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

I just saw those. Interested in hearing the Twin. My Sky King pretty much killed my Fender cleans GAS... well, that and the thousand profiles from ToneJunkie lol. But there really are few substitutes for a cranked Twin or with an OD in front.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

If it can take pedals well, I can see this being a winner. Lightweight pedal amp, plus an IR loader.

3. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

I like how it looks like the usual Fender amp rather than a Mustang with LCDs. 200 watts eh? And built in power attenuation thru Neo speakers? Wow. Good job.

4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Didnt even know it had an IR.

Bandmate works at a fender dealer and says these sound like the real deal. As a guy who hauls a blackface RI twin around, I am very interested in the same tone with half the weight.

5. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Tone King Sky King? Kinda want to check one of those out. I visited Mark at his shop when I lived in Baltimore and tried his Roseland/Sugarland amps and they were really great sounding.

USMarine75 likes this.
  6. USMarine75

Yup. It is THE pedal platform amp for Fender style. The rhythm channel is pure scooped 60s cleans like a blackface, vs the lead which does 50s reg tweed to dimed tweed. All with 2 ironman 2 attenuators, one for each channel... so you can perfectly match your dimed tweed with your clean rhythm channel. And the rhythm channel does everything from bassman type booming cleans to more bassy cleans like a mesa lonestar. And it has pentode or ultralinear, so you can either have fast attack or sag and a truly vintage almost princeton like clean.

It is a crazy good amp. There are so many times I'd plug pedals in but not even turn them on. And not just dad rock Gibsons, Peaveys, etc... I'd even get lost with my Regius 7 with piezo it was so good.

I cant believe I lived right there and never visited their factory! Thats awesome you got the chance before he left. I'm curious how his new amps compare. I'm lusting for a Falcon as it is.

20190719_213237.jpg 20190719_213208.jpg 20190719_213554.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ha well factory would certainly be over-stating it! I was surprised -- there's just a (really) big warehouse type building, could be half a mile long, and I walked for 10-15 minutes inside trying to find the place, only encountering one other person in the dimly-lit halls (most of which were unfinished walls, or walking on plyboard). And finally I get to Mark's "office" area, and it's like a super old school wood shop vibe. Also dim lighting. On the Bartel Amps he does all the upholstery, shells, makes his own knobs, footswitches. He's taking it down to a crazy minute level.

But now that Mark's branching out, I guess ToneKing stuff is probably made at like BAD in california. I'd like to try the old stuff -- I've heard some guys say they tried both and far preferred the Bartel, but they're ludicrously expensive, and it looks like mostly the same circuits, and probably a premium going to that level of handcraftsmanship rather than sound quality. And I've always liked the youtube demos of the Royalist. But yea, super impressed with the new stuff, just hard to pay that price, and they're all combos anyway so probably like $5.5-6k to get one over here.

8. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Mark sold the TK name. So all those amps are made at BAD and Mark doesn't get any money from them.

He's a fantastic amp builder.

9. USMarine75

Luckily I bought mine before he left then lol.

10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

In this one I think they both sound pretty good when played clean but with an overdrive pedal in front just get thinner sounding. I'm sure they set these amps up just to equal settings rather than trying to make one sound like the other. Don't know if decibel levels were the same either as that could also have an effect.

In terms of features there's a lot to like. Light weight, easy recording, as easy to use as a regular tube amp and looks like one as well.

USMarine75 likes this.
  11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

If it sounds the same as my blackface reissue, damn right I would swap. Audience wont know but my back will.

wakjob and USMarine75 like this.
  12. mogar

mogar SS.org Regular

The thought of a full power Fender Twin that doesn't require keeping a chiropractor on speed dial intrigues me greatly.

Thaeon, budda and USMarine75 like this.
  13. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Everyone made fun of me for suggesting this for years...

Dedicate 100% of the DSP processing power to three simple things,

Amazing clean, crunch, and lead channels just like a normal amp. Ditch all the other stuff, and just concentrate on making it a base tone making machine.

I wish Fender went old school for the power amp section, but if it works and sounds good, then whatever.

Thaeon and USMarine75 like this.
  14. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

I'm currently looking for an inexpensive amp that can dish out the cleans. I need something with a full, bassy sound that works great with pedals. Any suggestions?

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

I hope this leads the way for EVH making an even more lightweight 5153. :D

USMarine75 likes this.
  16. USMarine75

[​IMG]

Thought you already had one lol?

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Attach a 200 - 500w class D power amp to it.

18. USMarine75

Oh in that case...

[​IMG]

;)

19. HeHasTheJazzHands

make it not $2300.
    :lol: