New DIY stuff day (Pedals and things)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Well, there are great webshops in Germany. Banzai and Musikding both sell a bunch parts and kits. Both are heavily music related ofcourse.

I haven't ordered from AliExpress yet, been looking through customer reviews and I'm kinda reluctant now, even though these are the simplest of components. The resistors are probably b-stock and often mislabeled or have a different value. No biggie for a hobbyist, you just need to measure resistance for each one to know for sure. If 90% of the bulk pack is faulty, than it's still cheaper than buying from a respectable webstore, so it's tempting!
    Capacitors are the same story but I don't have an esr meter, so no bulk package of caps for me.
    IC's and transistors are a no-go to buy on the cheap imo.
    What I probably will buy is a bunch of LED's. 6 different colours x10 for about 3€. And knobs, different colours and shapes.

You know what sucks about DIY pedals? Going to a above mentioned site and finding all the parts..except for that one IC and potmeters with the wrong shaft dimendions.. :lol:

Mourguitars likes this.
  2. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Gotcha ....i had a bad batch of blue LED's...3mm....i bought clear blue ones that worked better in ways

Mike

3. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Given that AliExpress is typically the home of cheap knockoffs can't say I would order electronics components from there.

4. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, I totally get you. I would never buy more complicated parts like IC's on AE anyway. But really, where do you think every component comes from? AE sellers are at the source.

Like I stated earlier, you'd probably be buying b-stock, mislabeled, recycled or failed QC batches for a fraction of the cost. Best case scenario; 90% of the parts work fine. Worst case scenario; I wasted 3€ on a bag of broken LEDs.

I ordered stuff before like router bits, decoration,.. Got one extremely bad product and one package that took 4 months to get to me. In those 4 months I filed a complaint and AE costumer service sent my money back. AKA free router bit! So my experience is pretty good for now.
    If you ever see an FV-1 chip for half the price, you know you are likely to get screwed.

There is one I just can't get my head around. How can they offer me free shipping on a 3€ package? That 3€ doesn't even cover shipping costs..

5. Mourguitars

Brown Betty...PedalPCB

Used Tayda's black matte enclosure...have a P-touch coming so going to be label crazy !

Mike

20191101_172251.jpg

20191101_170408.jpg

technomancer, mnemonic and Shask like this.
  6. Mourguitars

Time to learn and label ! Ill be needing this when i get around to labeling / wiring my rack and labeling my All Access midi controller .....Labeling my pedals first..pics later in the week

Mike

20191105_082005.jpg

mnemonic, Shask and technomancer like this.
  7. Mourguitars

Having a little fun this morning learning the P Touch..using words and images found on the web experimenting with the fonts in the editor ...My white on clear tape was bad so done these ....went with a random theme...i can always redo them , learning the machine

Mike

20191110_154140.jpg

8. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Okay, now I want one too

Mourguitars and Shask like this.
  9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Yeah, those labels look really nice. They would probably be durable also with a light clear coat over them.

Mourguitars likes this.
  10. Mourguitars

Im going to redo them ....just testing fonts and images, the black on clear tape is very transparent on the Green enclosure you can hardly notice its a sticker so different colors hide the clear more than others...

Its fun for sure, next batch ill trim as close as i can to the image or font to try to make it less visible ....it has potential tho !

They are on sale at Amazon btw....

Mike

11. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Look what arrived today! :)
    15741950516142085374244355397751.jpg

Mourguitars likes this.
  12. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Look what I built!
    20191126_205817.jpg

rexbinary, Mourguitars and Shask like this.
  13. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

What is it? lol

Looks like you are missing some transistors!

rexbinary likes this.
  14. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Oh damn, that PTouch is sweet. I'll need to check into that and similar devices. I was just going to ask about how people make professional looking graphics and that looks like a good way to do it.

15. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Does the white on clear not work well?

16. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Oh snap, and it worked without them.. :D
    No, actually it is designed to work with regular OR SMD J201's. If you look closely, you can see them (Q3, Q4) next to the empty transistor holes. First time I ever soldered SMD stuff.

It's a Darkglass B3K clone. Took me about 5 hours to build. There is also an internal send/return and 4,5V supply on the board so I can upgrade the board to a B7K.

Stuff I've learned: -watch out for big caps, they need space. -I need IC tweezers. -And my solder tip has seen better days.

17. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Using Waterslides is probably the most common way. You can print them with your printer, and then soak them in water, and slide them on top the pedal. You then clear coat over them.

I have only did one pedal like this, and pain in the ass is an understatement. Not because of the waterslide, but because of the clear coat on top, and not melting the waterslide. I have a pack of like 10 of them, so maybe I will try again one day, lol.

Mine wasn't too fancy, but I could have printed anything, including pictures.
    Para EQ.jpg

Mourguitars and Deadpool_25 like this.
  18. Mourguitars

Muzzle ( Fortin Zuul clone ) with added output mod...this build is bad @zz ! Glad i was too busy to get around to doing the build and looked on the forum this morning and someone figured out another output mod to make this pedal even better !

I used the wrong Key jack..Duh..had the right one forgot i bought it when i first started building pedals...but anyways this pedal really clamps down and tames the noise...better than any gate I've tried and will get a lot of use daily....

Mike

20191128_154356.jpg

20191128_154301.jpg

Shask likes this.
  19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I see you have a SMT chip. I have heard the older through-hole version of that THAT chip is getting pretty scarce.

20. Mourguitars

It is scarce and pricey ...PedalPCB soldered it when you you buy the chip and PCB..That output mod makes things awesome just one wire and another jack..pretty straight forward vs they way it was originally designed..i tried it that way..after watching demos..i was like (head scratch ) !

Wasn't this noise gate design from a Marshal K.K head ?