New DIY stuff day (Pedals and things)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by mnemonic, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Mourguitars

Mourguitars SS.org Regular

Ember Boost...TC SparK

I subbed the OPA2134's with the NE5532's and it sounds very thick with my JMP-1..i like it..i like it a lot !

Every overdrive / boost I've built sound's awesome...each has a purpose and is very inspiring

Mike

20191017_154925.jpg 20191017_155713.jpg

Ribboz, Shask, mnemonic and 2 others like this.
  2. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

It is nice to have a pile of pedals that all do something different. I’ve kinda narrowed down my favourites but there are cool sounds in every one.

Only exception is the RC booster clone I made, everything it could do, I thought could be done better by either a generic tubescreamer clone or my boss FA1 clone.

Mourguitars and Shask like this.
  3. Mourguitars

Constrictor.....Demeter Compulator clone. The VTL5C10 i ordered from China off eBay , took 2 months to get here and the leeds were bent all the crap , so i just thru this one together .

To my amazement it sounds pretty good , almost no noise for a compressor ..adds sustain to the dirty channel and sounds awesome with a strat on the clean channel ...it does its job..dont know if ill use it much but....i got it if i need it !

Mike

20191017_194751.jpg 20191017_194502.jpg

mnemonic and technomancer like this.
  4. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Crazy, it looks like it was designed with those ICs too close together.

Mourguitars likes this.
  5. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

That is why I havent built any for awhile. I have so many of them, that I dont really use a lot of them. I have my favorites. It is cool to have other tones I don't use much (Klon, Rat, Bluesbreaker, etc...), but it has really made me more picky about what I would build next.

Mourguitars likes this.
  6. Mourguitars

yea I know...man , I had to think and mock up a different way to put them in ...they do have a board ( ya need 2 ) and 4 ICs...the other way...it was challenging !

7. Mourguitars

I don’t know how may I’ve built so far...work is slow so have to have something to bide my time !

Ive selected things I would have liked to try but didn’t wanna buy...so far I’ve built things I can use and will use....

Building a T.S next..swap diodes or LEDs out..I have a lot of T.S !

Valhalla is after that , Brown Betty...Suhr Riot clone..Klon klone..Revv 2 Green...

I need help ....lol

Not into Fuzz....but after these I’ll be selective and slow down....lol

Mike

8. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Same, the only things I want to build now are a boss OD1 clone (original with the quad op amp) and an HM2 clone (I have the behringer version which is good but I want true bypass so I can leave it on my pedalboard). Apart from that I’m pretty much set with pedals.

I’ve been checking pedapcb periodically but there hasn’t been much new that I wanted.

9. Mourguitars

Little Green Scream machine ! Its a very low noise T.S pedal as are most PedalPCB builds are..Its like they are already Modded or just built right in 2019 nowadays..i plugged my 808 , TS9 and Ts7 to A/B and was like Hissss ..ok...unplugged them

Socketed the diodes for switching out as well as the LED's as diodes ..tried the 1n4148 and Red LED's...put the Green LED's and was very pleasing to my ears...tightens up the low end , not harsh , very ear pleasing....So went with the Green theme !

Mike

20191018_153153.jpg
    20191018_153219.jpg

technomancer likes this.
  10. Mourguitars

Valhalla Distortion...VH4 clone

Build went smooth , no issues and powered up first time...need time to dial it in , but that Deep knob will make things flubbie....

Mike

20191019_201413.jpg

20191019_201438.jpg

technomancer likes this.
  11. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Fellow diy'ers..

Can you give me some advice?

My soldering iron is yelling "uuuuuse meee" for a while and my fingers are itching.
    Sooo, I figured I wan't to build an Aion L5 preamp. Now I want an OD along with it, but I don't know wich one. I figured I might as well ask you guys since you've all built several OD's.

I never looked into OD because I mainly play metal but I like an extra classic/heavy rock OD. Any idea wich one would suit me? Remember, building is half the fun :)

I'm already set with my modded Boss MT2 so no heavy distortion. And I don't know how I feel about fuzz..

Mourguitars likes this.
  12. Mourguitars

https://www.pedalpcb.com/product-category/od-distortion-fuzz/

Look at the Compare to :

Then youtube them ....the ones I've build on the pages here are very cool and nice

LGSM is a awesome T.S clone with Green LEDS as diodes...my Fav !
    Aurum Drive...quite useful
    Dwarven hammer is a must have !
    Isosceles Boost...33/TC/Grind thing
    Betty Boost...can be used as a Boost and Eq
    Ember Boost...is very awesome sounding !

Just noticed your in Belgium , hope that isn't a problem with shipping

Mike

13. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Not at all. Musikding.de is a Germany based webstore that sells lots of pcb's, kits and electronics from lots of brands including pedalpcb. They even have some FV1 kits that are sold out everywhere else. ;)

Thanks for the tips, I'll check these out :)

14. Mourguitars

Disarray Distortion...Suhr Riot clone

Smooth build no gremlins , tried the ribbon cable on this one..kinda on the fence about it...dont want to be taking it in and out , its kinda flimsy

Mike

20191027_185552.jpg

20191027_185734.jpg

technomancer likes this.
  15. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

That ribbon should be enough, I assume the boards won't be moving anyway.

However, I did run across a DIY amp from some guy on the internet which had several of these ribbon cables. The kit didn't work because one lead in one ribbon was broken, presumably during assembly. Once properly assembled, these cables should suffice..

Mourguitars likes this.
  16. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Also, has anyone ever ordered components through AliExpress? Been thinking about ordering some boxes with a bunch of mixed values. Like 1500 carbon resistors for 9€, 1000 ceramic caps for 11€, other caps like elco's or 300 leds in different colours for 2€.. it is dirt cheap and it's always handy to have some spares!
    I don't know about transistors though, I read on this thread that values could be all over the place.
    Any thoughts?

17. Mourguitars

Klone ....no gremlins , fired up and played for a hour before boxing it up...no noise as of most PedalPCB's builds...back to rocking it !

Mike

20191030_173039.jpg

20191030_172529.jpg

Shask, mnemonic and technomancer like this.
  18. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Lol. That is so funny. Here is mine :D
    20171218_124904.jpg 20171218_125001.jpg

Mourguitars likes this.
  19. Mourguitars

Looks great ! I started to install the battery clip on mine but I’ll never use it...so

Yellow is the new gold !

20. Mourguitars

I mainly use Tayda....most resistors are like a penny each or so, every order is spot on ever a issue , I pay a few bucks more in shipping I get it here in 4 days like clockwork...Transistors are a fickle component lots of fakes , beware of eBay some you buy are DOA...I use a tester and check every batch...Mouser here in the states have them but are kinda pricey but at least you know they are good...J201’s just bite the bullet and do the SMD and board thing...every one I bought on eBay are bad....I had to buy a 390n looked everywhere but had to buy off eBay.....

Oh yea ...always good to have components on hand for sure , most builds use a lot of the same values bulk up on those..look at build sheets...but there is always that one hard to find part tho....lol.... part of the fun !

Mike